Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Reasons To Believe In The Bengals!
(07-08-2018, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it should be a great year to do so. The FO actually made pretty much every move i wanted them to make this
Offseason for once. New proven LT, new young stud Center, new solid tackling LB and most of all, new O-line coach.

The people that don't see these moves as a big difference from the past befuddle me. Mellow

What about rewarding a coach with back to back losing seasons and worst PO failure in NFL history to a two year contract extension?  Mellow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 09:56 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about rewarding a coach with back to back losing seasons and worst PO failure in NFL history to a two year contract extension?  Mellow

Hoof, this is part of the bottom line.  

I'm not one that will criticize someone for being positive about the team, whatsoever.  I, myself, hope for the best and expect the worse.

I switched from Browns fan to Bengals fan in 1968, since Cincy was 50 miles south on I75 a lot closer than Cleveland was and I was already a Reds fan.

I've seen the differences from PB to MB.

Again, national anthem aside, I hope I'm wrong and MB 'FINALLY' changes this 26 historic run!
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 09:56 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: What about rewarding a coach with back to back losing seasons and worst PO failure in NFL history to a two year contract extension?  Mellow

That is a good point that i completely understand, i was really fumed when they brought Marv back myself.

But then we let PA go and brought in Pollack, then the Glenn trade, then getting Preston Brown, both of these guys
are in their prime. Then we drafted a stud Center in the first and a ballhawk FS in the second etc.

I wanted a new coach as much as anyone but these moves are different from the past. We normally would of held
onto PA, kept Og at LT, signed a LB past his prime, waited till the 4th round to grab a Center and acted like we were
just fine at Safety.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 12:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a good point that i completely understand, i was really fumed when they brought Marv back myself.

But then we let PA go and brought in Pollack, then the Glenn trade, then getting Preston Brown, both of these guys
are in their prime. Then we drafted a stud Center in the first and a ballhawk FS in the second etc.

I wanted a new coach as much as anyone but these moves are different from the past. We normally would of held
onto PA, kept Og at LT, signed a LB past his prime, waited till the 4th round to grab a Center and acted like we were
just fine at Safety.

So... it took 16 years to actually start doing things the right way? I fail to understand why we should take that blind faith because it seems like this year they've done things the right way. They finally buy water/gator aid for the players so we're finally doing things the right way. Good for them.

I ask again... why has it taken this long to start putting a little more effort into winning it all?
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 12:59 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I ask again... why has it taken this long to start putting a little more effort into winning it all?

Can't answer that question.  I'm just glad to see some positives out of them for once.  Maybe they woke up or something.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 12:59 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So... it took 16 years to actually start doing things the right way? I fail to understand why we should take that blind faith because it seems like this year they've done things the right way. They finally buy water/gator aid for the players so we're finally doing things the right way. Good for them.

I ask again... why has it taken this long to start putting a little more effort into winning it all?

I think Mikey Boy finally took a back seat is what i think, he has been a stubborn old bugger all this time thinking
he was doing it the right way. The last few years showed everyone different when we didn't sign Whit and listened
to PA saying Og and Bodine were the answer. Whether it was Katie and Troy i don't know.

Something has happened, don't know exactly what, but i am assuming Katie and Troy finally let Marv run the team
the way he wanted. PA had more sway around here being the assistant HC, Lazor castrated him and things started
to change for the better. We all saw that BS passive blocking scheme the first 10 games last year, then it changed
under Lazor and it was much better.

Then we bring in Pollack, Austin, Van Pelt, Bicknell all proven coaches?

Something is different for the better round here is all i am tellin you HH.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 01:19 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Can't answer that question.  I'm just glad to see some positives out of them for once.  Maybe they woke up or something.

You're right. I am a Bengals fan until i die, but my hopefulness seems to be slowly fading. Maybe Marv not only changed the culture of the locker room, but that of the FO as well. Just took a lot longer since those are his bosses, idk. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 01:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You're right. I am a Bengals fan until i die, but my hopefulness seems to be slowly fading. Maybe Marv not only changed the culture of the locker room, but that of the FO as well. Just took a lot longer since those are his bosses, idk. 

I put no faith in talking heads and do not watch them, only seeing them posted here and whenever I search for something specific.  But I got to thinking about all the excellent points made here about the positive off season moves that I do not debate.  I figured, surely there has to be someone out there that is anal enough to look at ALL the off season moves EVERY team has made and make the same positive prediction based upon that.  No such luck.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/07/nfl-schedule-2018-team-record-predictions-analysis

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23645045/nfl-win-total-projections-all-32-teams-2018

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/2018-nfl-season-predictions-schedule-division-winners-playoffs-super-bowl-liii

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773307-win-loss-predictions-for-every-nfl-team-post-draft
Reply/Quote
I really would just like the one reason to believe.

1. They're just that good!
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 01:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I put no faith in talking heads and do not watch them, only seeing them posted here and whenever I search for something specific.  But I got to thinking about all the excellent points made here about the positive off season moves that I do not debate.  I figured, surely there has to be someone out there that is anal enough to look at ALL the off season moves EVERY team has made and make the same positive prediction based upon that.  No such luck.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/07/nfl-schedule-2018-team-record-predictions-analysis

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23645045/nfl-win-total-projections-all-32-teams-2018

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/2018-nfl-season-predictions-schedule-division-winners-playoffs-super-bowl-liii

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773307-win-loss-predictions-for-every-nfl-team-post-draft

Adam Rank from NFL.com has a nice article that is in the other thread saying how the Bengals will make the Playoffs.

CincyJungle in the OP gave some more great reasons. The only one of those guys you list i respect is Bleacher Report.

Certainly i don't give a damn about much ESPN says who never know much about the Bengals.

They predict us to lose every year it seems.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adam Rank from NFL.com has a nice article that is in the other thread saying how the Bengals will make the Playoffs.

CincyJungle in the OP gave some more great reasons. The only one of those guys you list i respect is Bleacher Report.

Certainly i don't give a damn about much ESPN says who never know much about the Bengals.

They predict us to lose every year it seems.

Adam Rank seems to be third party, but CincyJungle certainly isn't.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 03:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Adam Rank seems to be third party, but CincyJungle certainly isn't.

Very true, but i would think CG would know more about the Bengals then ESPN who never know much about anything.

Also, i might add we always seem to be better when we fly under the radar anyways.

I wouldn't put much stock in what all the experts say good or bad. First off we need to stay relatively healthy, then the
O-line needs to gel and gain chemistry, but i think if the first happens it is only a matter of time before we are MUCH
better then last years shit show.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very true, but i would think CG would know more about the Bengals then ESPN who never know much about anything.

Also, i might add we always seem to be better when we fly under the radar anyways.

I wouldn't put much stock in what all the experts say good or bad. First off we need to stay relatively healthy, then the
O-line needs to gel and gain chemistry, but i think if the first happens it is only a matter of time before we are MUCH
better then last years shit show.

Again Nate, I am not disagreeing with your assessment, after being a fan from the Bengals birth, the Paul Brown era was commendable, but the last 26 years have been disappointment after disappointment it's just come down to until the past 26 years of history changes, I will not get excited about it.

Like I told my wife and son after the 2015 Steelers/Bengals playoff game .... Bengal fans dare not celebrate until the clock reaches 00:00, the Bengals are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field!
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 05:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again Nate, I am not disagreeing with your assessment, after being a fan from the Bengals birth, the Paul Brown era was commendable, but the last 26 years have been disappointment after disappointment it's just come down to until the past 26 years of history changes, I will not get excited about it.

Like I told my wife and son after the 2015 Steelers/Bengals playoff game .... Bengal fans dare not celebrate until the clock reaches 00:00, the Bengals are at least 1 point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field!

Yeah, we have had it rough no doubt. But remember, ole Piano Man was here back then for most of those years.

Pollack alone gives me some semblance of hope, let alone grabbing Cordy Glenn and Billy Price.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 05:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again Nate, I am not disagreeing with your assessment, after being a fan from the Bengals birth, the Paul Brown era was commendable, but the last 26 years have been disappointment after disappointment it's just come down to until the past 26 years of history changes, I will not get excited about it.

I was around for the PB era myself and I remember a lot of bad years.PB was a legend, don't get me wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 06:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I was around for the PB era myself and I remember a lot of bad years.PB was a legend, don't get me wrong. 

He knew football and could recognize talent in players and coaches.

I think the biggest coaching blunder he made was catastrophic when he hired 'Tiger' Johnson over Bill Walsh.

The worst season the Bengals had was MBs first year at the helm (1991) they went 3-13.

They went 3-11 in 1968, their first season which was PBs worst record, however who knows what would have happened if Greg Cook hadn't gotten hurt and Walsh would have been chosen as HC when PB stepped down.

PB also has 5 playoff wins and 2 SB appearances.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 09:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He knew football and could recognize talent in players and coaches.

I think the biggest coaching blunder he made was catastrophic when he hired 'Tiger' Johnson over Bill Walsh.

The worst season the Bengals had was MBs first year at the helm (1991) they went 3-13.

They went 3-11 in 1968, their first season which was PBs worst record, however who knows what would have happened if Greg Cook hadn't gotten hurt and Walsh would have been chosen as HC when PB stepped down.

PB also has 5 playoff wins and 2 SB appearances.

Yeah, PB was a great mind, MB? Not so much.

One question Bengalguy71...

Do you think Frank Pollack will make a difference for the good over Paul Alexander?
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 12:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do you think Frank Pollack will make a difference for the good over Paul Alexander?

You didn't ask me but I will chime in. HELL YEAH!

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 12:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You didn't ask me but I will chime in. HELL YEAH!

I think it is the ultimate question really and as you know i completely agree Harley. :andy:

Love the sig BTW, BOOB BEER ha ha!
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2018, 12:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, PB was a great mind, MB? Not so much.

One question Bengalguy71...

Do you think Frank Pollack will make a difference for the good over Paul Alexander?

I think the change was long overdue for ANYONE beside PA, and Pollack has a positive track record.  Not sure if it can be done right away, it may take a season.

I think the bigger hurdle is the Bengals getting past the point of allowing the Steelers to be successful 'button pushers'.

PB had this team only 1 game under .500 with head to head meetings with the Steelers which included the 70s where Pitt was dominant and had the best decade defense of all time.

They cannot let Pittsburgh get under their skin, and from what I've seen of the last Bengals/Pats and Bengals/Jags meetings, the Pats and Jags are also now playing that button pushing game.

To get back to a SB, they will most likely have to get past one of those 3 teams.
Reply/Quote