Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-20-2022, 03:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:
It's not limited to just the poor, it's open to anyone that calls/orders it direct.

Overall, I feel there's always the problem of distributing a sparse essential product. Whatever form of government aid you choose, it will alter the imbalance, and it will always alter it to the benefit of those who could not afford it otherwise. Which means there's less left for anyone else. And that seemed to be your initial problem, that taxpayers get screwed out of getting formula by subsidizing it. Your plan in the end would have the same effect, even if the aid is for everyone.

(05-20-2022, 03:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The bill that was proposed allows WIC to take more and cause an imbalance in what's left.

WIC? Women infants children, or do I get yet another abbreviation wrong? Because I'm puzzled otherwise... no one but this target group needs formula.

(05-20-2022, 03:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Now that they are producing, the shortage will end in about a month. Not sure if there is enough time to get foreign products tested approved and shipped before the market recovers

OK, that I can not determine. If it's clear the recovery will set in sooner anyways than any foreign product could ever get approved, then ok the bill would indeed be pointless. I just assumed that isn't the case.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 04:04 PM)hollodero Wrote: Overall, I feel there's always the problem of distributing a sparse essential product. Whatever form of government aid you choose, it will alter the imbalance, and it will always alter it to the benefit of those who could not afford it otherwise. Which means there's less left for anyone else. And that seemed to be your initial problem, that taxpayers get screwed out of getting formula by subsidizing it. Your plan in the end would have the same effect, even if the aid is for everyone.

WIC? Women infants children, or do I get yet another abbreviation wrong? Because I'm puzzled otherwise... no one but this target group needs formula.

OK, that I can not determine. If it's clear the recovery will set in sooner anyways than any foreign product could ever get approved, then ok the bill would indeed be pointless. I just assumed that isn't the case.

big difference between giving an entity rights over the individuals. 

There are way more families that are not on WIC than on it. 
They can issue vouchers that can be used to pay for direct orders.

Sorta the same, but onus is on the person not the entity to order it if they need it, otherwise wait for it to arrive in the stores.

I'm done discussing
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 04:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm done discussing

ok
Reply/Quote
40 billion of the US budget is roughly nothing and has nothing to do with baby formula.. Sure, we can pump another 100 billion into baby formula if we wanted to and never miss it.. You nor any child in the US is going to go hungry because of 40 billion going to Ukraine...or even 100 billion..  The US defense budget alone, not counting one thin dime to Ukraine since that's a completely separate bill was/is 766 Billion with a rather big B..bigger than the Bengals B even last year. It's less than 4% of GDP compared to 1960-70 when it was over 7% of GDP.. To put things into perspective in 20 years the US spent https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/military-spending-defense-budget <--this many ...just to play around in Afghanistan and Iraq.. and the % of GDP is minuscule compared to previous decades..  On the other hand we spent $422,000 for Vietnamese male prostitutes . <-- scroll down a bit https://moneyminiblog.com/lists/stupidest-things-u-s-government-spends-money-on/ ..I guess the study didn’t necessarily say the prostitutes were Vietnamese, but the National Institutes of Health spent the money to study the behavior of male prostitutes in Vietnam. How much did YOU receive for YOUR visit to Vietnam? Ehhh? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote