Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
$40 billion for Ukraine, no baby formula for the US
(05-12-2022, 12:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The people with the machine guns, duh.

It may well come to that when people's families are going hungry. It's gonna get ugly.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ah, but it IS available. But just like the Anti-viral pill for Covid, only those the govt. deems worthy gets it..... you have to be an illegal crossing the border.....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gop-rep-illegal-migrants-pallets-baby-formula

And for those who will just say "Fox News"... there are pictures. Can't wait to see who gets food during the upcoming food crisis.

When you take someone into custody you are responsible for their well-being. It would be a human rights violation to not make sure the needs are met at the border. Under a market economy it is not the responsibility of the government to make sure the general population has access to these goods. That is the job of the market.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It may well come to that when people's families are going hungry. It's gonna get ugly.

The USA is like Baker Mayfield...it's about time we got knocked off our pedestal and realized we aren't exactly as awesome as we thought we were.  The question is, can we learn from this and dust ourselves off and start over again wise and humbled? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: When you take someone into custody you are responsible for their well-being. It would be a human rights violation to not make sure the needs are met at the border. Under a market economy it is not the responsibility of the government to make sure the general population has access to these goods. That is the job of the market.

So send them back across the border and tell them to quit coming here. Problem solved. No different that a burglar sneaking into your home at night.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So send them back across the border and tell them to quit coming here. Problem solved. No different that a burglar sneaking into your home at night.

The law says we have to process them through. Because the system is so underfunded they don't have the resources to process all of the immigrants that come through so it takes time, time that they are in our custody. It's just following the law. But that's a different issue.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The law says we have to process them through. Because the system is so underfunded they don't have the resources to process all of the immigrants that come through so it takes time, time that they are in our custody. It's just following the law. But that's a different issue.

Ah, the double edged sword that is law and order, eh?
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The USA is like Baker Mayfield...

lol... and you also share an unhealthy obsession with UFOs
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As banal as always. 

If only Trump would stop dividing America.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:48 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: If only Trump would stop dividing America.

Hey now, we made it to page 2 of a thread without the T-word showing up and you blew it.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hey now, we made it to page 2 of a thread without the T-word showing up and you blew it.

Damn it. Sorry.
Reply/Quote
Can't have the government getting involved in private businesses after all.

The timing of the shortage couldn't be any better.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 02:14 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Can't have the government getting involved in private businesses after all.

The timing of the shortage couldn't be any better.

For the GOP, absolutely.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The law says we have to process them through. Because the system is so underfunded they don't have the resources to process all of the immigrants that come through so it takes time, time that they are in our custody. It's just following the law. But that's a different issue.

The law also says they are here illegally. Guess we should have kept the "Remain in Mexico" policy huh?
Reply/Quote

Nothing like po'ing more people against immigrants.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 03:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The law also says they are here illegally. Guess we should have kept the "Remain in Mexico" policy huh?

This stuff is hardly new, though.  When your typical low-end but law-abiding American sees a prisoner or otherwise ward of the state getting some sort of benefit he doesn't rather than wonder why we live in a society where a segment of the population can "do the right thing" and still get left behind, he demands that the benefit be removed from the other people.

That's just the way things go.  If you want formula for your kids you are better off being an illegal who is locked up at the border than some dumbass American who works 39.5 hours a week a McDonalds, right?  Hell, I'm sure there is at least one movie or show or sit com where some working poor American commits various crimes every time he needs to get medical care so he can go to prison and get it on the dole.

Be rich or have nothing.  Being in the middle doesn't pay.

(05-12-2022, 03:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Nothing like po'ing more people against immigrants.

I guess.  Gotta wonder why so many people are so jealous of prisoners, illegal immigrants, and welfare cases, though.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 07:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The title rather says it all.  I am absolutely in favor of supporting Ukraine against the Russian invasion of their country, and have said so from the beginning.  But you have to start to wonder at what point should we be spending this money on our own people?  When Musk bought Twitter I heard, numerous times, left leaning people talk about how he could "end hunger" with the $44 billion he used to buy Twitter.  Why are we not hearing the same thing here?  Again, I support Ukraine, and would hate to see them lose to Russia, but our country is a mess right now, rampant inflation and now a shortage of baby formula that could have severe repercussions for developing children.  I'll close by commenting that they authorized $7 billion more than Biden even asked for and that both parties share the blame here.

Agreed. We seem to have no trouble shoveling money to Ukraine. Which I'm not necessarily against. However I do question the motives behind it. Personally, I wonder how much of us giving money to Ukraine is more so about weakening Russia militarily than it is necessarily about thinking Ukraine will actually win with our help. But that's for another thread.

Regarding the supply chain issue, I agree we need to throw money at the problem. Not that that would solve everything but I believe it would help. The national guard can be used to help with supply chain issues and in October last year the Biden administration refused to do this. After three more months of shit hitting the fan Biden finally pulled the trigger in January (2022) and authorized 14 billion to fund the national guard in relation to supply chain issues. Maybe if we had considered that earlier or even put more money towards it. things would at the very least be looking a little better today.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 03:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The law also says they are here illegally. Guess we should have kept the "Remain in Mexico" policy huh?

These are people that crossed the border and were detained, not people we just brought over here.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This stuff is hardly new, though.  When your typical low-end but law-abiding American sees a prisoner or otherwise ward of the state getting some sort of benefit he doesn't rather than wonder why we live in a society where a segment of the population can "do the right thing" and still get left behind, he demands that the benefit be removed from the other people.

That's just the way things go.  If you want formula for your kids you are better off being an illegal who is locked up at the border than some dumbass American who works 39.5 hours a week a McDonalds, right?  Hell, I'm sure there is at least one movie or show or sit com where some working poor American commits various crimes every time he needs to get medical care so he can go to prison and get it on the dole.

Be rich or have nothing.  Being in the middle doesn't pay.

I guess.  Gotta wonder why so many people are so jealous of prisoners, illegal immigrants, and welfare cases, though.

Prisoners shouldn't be getting any breaks. Go out and crack rocks all day, make concrete or whatever, make it so it's hard labor. They won't WANT to come back. But that's part of a Prison Reform that needs to be done.

Welfare? I'm not jealous of them either. But we need some reform there too. Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from working Period, they can become licensed daycare workers and watch other welfare kids while those parents go to work somewhere else. They can do something while collecting welfare, go thru the neighborhood picking up all trash. 

Problem is, both Prisons and Welfare are paying/taking care of people and getting nothing in return except repeaters.

Don't get me going on all that!
Reply/Quote
I don't care what color your politics are - you can't ignore the failure that is happening right now.

November can't get here soon enough.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 08:47 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I don't care what color your politics are - you can't ignore the failure that is happening right now.

November can't get here soon enough.

I don't think a red wave fixes this.  Hell, as long as biden is in office the GOP should love every minute of global supply issues. 

I'm resigned to America ping ponging back and forth between political parties endlessly looking for quick and simple fixes, though.  

Republican can gains in the midterms likely just mean dismantling the 1/6 committee and Then endlessly billing taxpayers for fraud investigations and impeachment hearings.

Prove me wrong, GOP.
Reply/Quote