Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
53 Man Roster due Saturday the 5th at 4 p.m.
I do not really see the downside of keeping Evans or Redmond. I do not believe any of the guys we cut at those spots (Mauigoa, Spears) are terribly likely to be claimed on anyone's 53. And with no preseason games, rookies & unproven guys have little tape out there. Most teams seem likely to stick with guys they know or have good intel on for PS & bottom of the roster stuff.

As for taking time from the rookies, I do mot buy that. Perhaps I am wrong, because Evans did not play much, but I see him as more of a strong side guy, short yardage guy. I see Wilson as a MIKE or coverage guy. Ditto Bailey. ADG is a WILL/Edge guy who can cover some. I guess Bailey/Wilson could play some strong side in a 4-3, but I think both are MIKEs with good speed & coverage ability.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 07:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not really see the downside of keeping Evans or Redmond. I do not believe any of the guys we cut at those spots (Mauigoa, Spears) are terribly likely to be claimed on anyone's 53. And with no preseason games, rookies & unproven guys have little tape out there. Most teams seem likely to stick with guys they know or have good intel on for PS & bottom of the roster stuff.

As for taking time from the rookies, I do mot buy that. Perhaps I am wrong, because Evans did not play much, but I see him as more of a strong side guy, short yardage guy. I see Wilson as a MIKE or coverage guy. Ditto Bailey. ADG is a WILL/Edge guy who can cover some. I guess Bailey/Wilson could play some strong side in a 4-3, but I think both are MIKEs with good speed & coverage ability.

dude Evans couldn't get a starting job last year and we had maybe the worst linebacker group in the league.  These guys have never and will never produce at any level its a total waste.  If you have a backup on the 53 at least get a guy who can develop into something.  Redmond I have never understood, the guy is roided up and is just straight terrible.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 07:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not really see the downside of keeping Evans or Redmond. I do not believe any of the guys we cut at those spots (Mauigoa, Spears) are terribly likely to be claimed on anyone's 53. And with no preseason games, rookies & unproven guys have little tape out there. Most teams seem likely to stick with guys they know or have good intel on for PS & bottom of the roster stuff.

here you go

https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/former-ute-francis-bernard-in-a-great-spot-to-make-the-dallas-cowboys

Dallas Fans and reporters are crying bloody murder because he's been so good at camp, but Dallas waived him and hope's he slides by.  Take a guy like that over Evans any day.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Redmond has value as a short yardage run type of player. Evans probably has value at ST. Both have some actual NFL game experience and both have some athletic attributes to their game. I get it. 

The head scratcher for me is EDGE depth. I see a whole lot of 3 tech/5 tech types when the only guy who I see as a pure 3/4 EDGE guy is Lawson. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not a big Jordan Evans fan either, and I'd almost written him off the roster months ago, but just to be clear he has apparently come into this camp in far better shaped and flashed that potential he had as a rookie. Maybe our drafting 3 linebackers and watching Vigil exit lit a fire under his ass.

As for Redmond ... yeah I'd axe him yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 05:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Here is the 53. 25 on O. 25 on D. 3 ST. Waynes will be put on IR and someone will replace him.

QB (2). Burrow; Finley.
RB (4). Mixon; Bernard, T. Williams, Perine.
WR (7). Green, Boyd, Ross; Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas.
TE (3). Uzomah; Sample, Carter
OL (9). J. Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart; Johnson, Price, Redmond.
DL (9). Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Hubbard; Lawson, Daniels, Covington, Kareem, A. Brown.
LB (6). Bynes, Pratt; L. Wilson, ADG, Evans, Bailey.
CB (6). Jackson, Alexander, Phillips; Sims, T. Brown, Waynes
S (4). Bell, Bates; S. Williams, B. Wilson.
ST (3). Bullock, Huber, Harris.

Who's the 9th OL?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 10:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's the 9th OL?

Gotta be the rookie from Kansas
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 10:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's the 9th OL?

Good catch. I forgot Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 08:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: here you go

https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/former-ute-francis-bernard-in-a-great-spot-to-make-the-dallas-cowboys

Dallas Fans and reporters are crying bloody murder because he's been so good at camp, but Dallas waived him and hope's he slides by.  Take a guy like that over Evans any day.

Dude, you are making my point for me. We can still claim this dude if we want to. Evans on the 53 does not change that. But we could not put him on our 53 today, so your post is ridiculous. 

OF THE GUYS IN CAMP, who you got over Redmond or Evans? Spears & Mauigoa were the only options left.

At least Evans & Redmond have actual NFL experience. I'll admit, I am not blown away be either guy. An each is probably at the bottom of the depth chart at their positions, and thus some of the likeliest guys to get bumped if we make a waiver claim.

But you want guys that can at least play SOME on the 53. Developmental guys should be PS only.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 08:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: here you go

But they cut him if he was that solid tou dont cut them 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 11:43 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Gotta be the rookie from Kansas

(09-06-2020, 12:00 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good catch. I forgot Adeniji.

Yeah, I later read that in an article.  I meant to go back and edit Real #85's post for him, and delete mine.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 09:40 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Redmond has value as a short yardage run type of player. Evans probably has value at ST. Both have some actual NFL game experience and both have some athletic attributes to their game. I get it. 

The head scratcher for me is EDGE depth. I see a whole lot of 3 tech/5 tech types when the only guy who I see as a pure 3/4 EDGE guy is Lawson. 

He is far from someone you would use in a 3-4 EDGE role, but I can't help but wonder if we don't see some blitz packages with ADG.  He was excellent at rushing the passer...has a unique dip move that he can apparently do at full speed.  
Reply/Quote
I bet we add at least 2 players off waivers or those cut, if so 2 guys will still be cut today.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
1.  Only real surprise for me is Thomas over Morgan for last WR spot.

2.  Would not be surprised to see more moves before opening game. 

3.  Redmond is not very good as a starter, but probably good enough to make an NFL roster as depth.  Don't mind if he is replaced, but not going to panic if he is kept as a back up.
Reply/Quote
Fixed the Adeniji omission.

QB (2). Burrow; Finley.
RB (4). Mixon; Bernard, T. Williams, Perine.
WR (7). Green, Boyd, Ross; Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas.
TE (3). Uzomah; Sample, Carter
OL (9). J. Williams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart; Johnson, Price, Adeniji, Redmond.
DL (9). Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Hubbard; Lawson, Daniels, Covington, Kareem, A. Brown.
LB (6). Bynes, Pratt; L. Wilson, ADG, Evans, Bailey.
CB (6). Jackson, Alexander, Phillips; Sims, T. Brown, Waynes
S (4). Bell, Bates; S. Williams, B. Wilson.
ST (3). Bullock, Huber, Harris.
Reply/Quote
Morgan and Schreck, 2 players I can't imagine them not wanting to re-sign to the practice squard are also the most likely to be claimed by other teams. It will be interesting to see if they make it through

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 07:36 PM)Okeana Wrote: doesn't matter because he sucks at the position.  I don't care about yoked up athletic guys at linebacker if they can't play the position.

Agreed....Evans never impressed me as a NFL caliber outside LB. All his tackles came down field and no real blitzing or coverage capability I have seen in the past several yrs since we drafted him. I see him as a special teams body and thats about it.  I think we can do better on a waiver wire pickup.     
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 11:41 AM)pally Wrote: Morgan and Schreck, 2 players I can't imagine them not wanting to re-sign to the practice squard are also the most likely to be claimed by other teams.  It will be interesting to see if they make it through

Well, as far as Schreck goes we carried him on the PS all year last year and nobody signed him, and he hasn't done anything since to change that (with there being no preseason and all). So I think he's safe. 

Now on Morgan, I agree. Good chance he's claimed for his ST chops. But if not, he can go on our PS and you know a WR will go down at some point this year, at which point we call him up. I think his 53 man roster odds are in other words still very good. 
Reply/Quote
Alex Redmond has been cut

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 01:01 PM)pally Wrote: Alex Redmond has been cut

Thanks for posting. I wonder who we have coming in. Has to be a corner, in my mind.
Reply/Quote