Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants
It's interesting how our forum perceptions differ from sports media. So far every media (CincyJungle, Locked On Bengals, Rapien, Goodberry, etc.) I saw about the game were a lot more bullish on Volson than some in this forum. Not saying one is right and the other wrong but interesting to see the difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Winner - Chris Evans Did you see that fantastic KO Ret??

Loser - D'ante Smith: Injuries aside, he's looking like cut/practice squad material. 3 early penalties in a forgettable performance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Winner - Chris Evans Did you see that fantastic KO Ret??

Not that he's necessarily horrible, but I'm ready to move on from Samaje Perine and have Evans be the primary backup RB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:42 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Ummmm, were we watching the same game? Allen was HORRIBLE last night. Only reason he didn't throw any INTs was he was throwing balls NO ONE could catch. Dude seriously needs to go play QB somewhere else.
Yeah.

I had a few cocktails and was just agreeing with what I on the site. 

While I was watching the game, I was actually thinking that we're screwed if we ever need to count on him.
(08-22-2022, 10:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Winner - Chris Evans Did you see that fantastic KO Ret??

Loser - D'ante Smith:  Injuries aside, he's looking like cut/practice squad material.  3 early penalties in a forgettable performance.

I actually meant to mention Evans because I was excited that we might actually have a dangerous kickoff returner for once!

He showed great vision, patience, and just enough explosiveness to bust that play open!

You couldn't really tell from that play (I couldn't), but dude has 4.4 speed!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: It's interesting how our forum perceptions differ from sports media. So far every media (CincyJungle, Locked On Bengals, Rapien, Goodberry, etc.) I saw about the game were a lot more bullish on Volson than some in this forum. Not saying one is right and the other wrong but interesting to see the difference.

I agree with you, especially within context being that he's a 4th round rookie from a small school.   There seems to be some promising things to work with in comparison to what we've seen by the other usual suspects @ LG 
Reply/Quote
LOSER: Whoever decided not to plat starters but left Dax out there all night.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 11:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: LOSER: Whoever decided not to plat starters but left Dax out there all night.

I don't know. Dude's a rookie and will be a backup when Bates comes back. I think it's a good way to get him as much experience as possible bfore Bates return.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The offense for the first half was atrocious.
Chris Evans with a whopping 3 yards on 5 rushes.
Inaccurate passes to the receivers.
OL was a sieve, both in the pass game and run game.
If I had my way, I'd throw away all of the OL who played last night except Volson (who still has plenty to improve on).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Other than a few passes Brandon Allen continues to look like garbage. I hope Browning is retained as QB2
Reply/Quote
Loser B Allen 65 yards passing in the first half of play.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 11:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah.

I had a few cocktails and was just agreeing with what I on the site. 

While I was watching the game, I was actually thinking that we're screwed if we ever need to count on him.

I actually meant to mention Evans because I was excited that we might actually have a dangerous kickoff returner for once!

He showed great vision, patience, and just enough explosiveness to bust that play open!

You couldn't really tell from that play (I couldn't), but dude has 4.4 speed!

He has a funny stride so he looks like his legs are not moving too fast but he is scooting down the field,....Just off the top of my head it kind of reminds me of Cory Dillions stride.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: It's interesting how our forum perceptions differ from sports media. So far every media (CincyJungle, Locked On Bengals, Rapien, Goodberry, etc.) I saw about the game were a lot more bullish on Volson than some in this forum. Not saying one is right and the other wrong but interesting to see the difference.

I feel like pretty much everyone here has been saying he played a pretty good game? At least from what I've seen but I haven't scoured each thread. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah I thought the offense looked pretty bad. The main issue is the offensive line. Definitely need more depth in this area.

Brandon Allen looked like a backup quarterback. He made a few plays, but missed some big throws and overall was pretty mediocre. He didn't turn the ball over so that's good.

It's a tough call at WR. I don't see anyone really stepping up to grab the 4th wr role. But we have some good special teamers at wideout, and that's all we really need anyway.

Need more pressure up front on defense with our backups. They need to develop more.

I really like our special teams unit--and that was the big positive takeaway from the game other than Dax Hill looking very solid again.
Reply/Quote
That game was a showcase for 2nd and 3rd stringers, particularly the later.

If I were a NY Giants fan, I’d be unhappy. Bengals backups had their way with NYG starters during the 1st half.
Big improvements by the Bengals Oline from last week, against starters.
Allan was clean with time to throw, hey that’s a win against starters.
Dax and Bates will make the Bengals secondary really good.
Evans keeps surprising in a good way.
Volson has earned more playing time with the 1’s
Reply/Quote

He is physical and strong enough to stand up to bull rushes and can drive block that is the hard part and what we have been missing with O-linemen drafts for a while now. I know we got J Williams, and he is decent. Now we just need Volson to get reps, so he is used to all the stunts and twists, so he is aware of what's coming and not surprised by it.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:01 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: That game was a showcase for 2nd and 3rd stringers, particularly the later.

If I were a NY Giants fan, I’d be unhappy. Bengals backups had their way with NYG starters during the 1st half.
Big improvements by the Bengals Oline from last week, against starters.
Allan was clean with time to throw, hey that’s a win against starters.
Dax and Bates will make the Bengals secondary really good.
Evans keeps surprising in a good way.
Volson has earned more playing time with the 1’s

This is what I seen he had a pocket to throw from most of the first half and that is why his 65 yards passing was so pathetic.
Reply/Quote
I know it has been said but Brandon Allen is not the answer even for a backup. Quarterback. I know the team will retain them. He's into fold but he's terrible.

I think Smith has some rust and he struggled but I'd like to see more of him. Volson looks like a rookie but he's probably the best option at left guard.

I'm a little disappointed and Joseph o. I thought he looked average. The D line outside of the rookie 7th round pick does not provide a lot of pressure, at least from the backups. Carter looks like a keeper and Noah Spence brings it.

I think the new punter will win the job away from Huber. The Cincinnati Bengals really need to draft a tight end next year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 11:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: I feel like pretty much everyone here has been saying he played a pretty good game? At least from what I've seen but I haven't scoured each thread. 

There was no drama at LG. A snooze fest in fact. That’s a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:00 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah I thought the offense looked pretty bad. The main issue is the offensive line. Definitely need more depth in this area.

Brandon Allen looked like a backup quarterback. He made a few plays, but missed some big throws and overall was pretty mediocre. He didn't turn the ball over so that's good.

It's a tough call at WR. I don't see anyone really stepping up to grab the 4th wr role. But we have some good special teamers at wideout, and that's all we really need anyway.

Need more pressure up front on defense with our backups. They need to develop more.

I really like our special teams unit--and that was the big positive takeaway from the game other than Dax Hill looking very solid again.

We cannot go back to the standards of Marvin Lewis and expect our QB to not lose the game for us. We are in a new place with a new higher floor our QB must be able to get yards and touchdowns {on throws not handing it off}.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 11:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: I feel like pretty much everyone here has been saying he played a pretty good game? At least from what I've seen but I haven't scoured each thread. 

I think it's another Drew Sample sitch; people are angry ever since Carman was picked, that anything and I mean ANYTHING he does negatively, people waste no time piling on and shitting on the guy, while Volson gets unlimited praise and love, simply because he's the guy in competition with Carman.

I HATE this attitude and POV: granted, Carman has some other baggage, but the guy actually flashed at times last year and isn't a total write-off.

I just want the best player to be the starter, but having to disparage someone just because you don't like them and puff up the guy in direct competition with them, just smacks of unfairness.

Volson had a great first half until the last drive, where he looked awful. Then he had a so-so 3rd Q, with some decent run blocking, until he fell apart completely in the 4th, only really having a standout play on the Patrick TD. Just last week, he was having people cream their pants over how well he played, many completely disregarding that he was playing against 4th stringers (the media did this, each and every outlet). When Zac was non-committal on the LG position and said that Volson has some things to clean up, people threw up their arms all angry and confused, media included. When a guy has COVID and can't play as a result, the narrative shifted to, "oh yeah, Volson has it in the bag now, he's the front-runner for the position."

After last night, NEITHER guy is a front-runner for the LG position and that's a fact. But the media and big-time fans were all, "Volson played an outstanding game!" I'm not on Carman's side, nor am I against Volson; I come at this as a 3rd party, with wanting the best person to make it and after 2 PS games, it may be a better option to either bring someone off the street or (as much as people hate it), platoon the two until one shows out the most.

As I, Ocho and Whatever have posted for the past week+, Volson is great and anchoring and stopping the bullrush, while his drive blocking is also good.

Other than that (moving laterally, pass-rush moves outside of bullrushing, pulling, blocking on angles, assignments, etc.), he has looked every part the rookie from a FCS school (albeit the best FCS school). Both need to play with the 1s before any decision is made, as communication was also a problem last week (didn't seem like a problem yesterday though), but people aren't calling this battle fair down the line.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote