Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants
(08-22-2022, 12:07 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: This is what I seen he had a pocket to throw from most of the first half and that is why his 65 yards passing was so pathetic.

Well, it's hard to complete passes when you're throwing the ball so uncatchable, your receivers are likelier to catch COVID than the ball.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I expect something like Callahan was calling plays, so B Allen gets a pass for his performance. Hobson wrote an article before the game saying B Allen was a lock as QB 2. And he played just like he was handed a job and didn't have to earn it. If B Allen is great to have in Joes ear and we need him then give him a clipboard and a coach's salary because he does not deserve to have a football in his hands.
Reply/Quote
off topic but not a fan of seeing McPhearson chasing down returners.

Know he eased up and only gave half hearted effort at tackle thankfully being it was only preseason.

Yet after seeing this, do not feel comfortable with someone his size and his importance becoming a target for a headhunting LBer on ST.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, it's hard to complete passes when you're throwing the ball so uncatchable, your receivers are likelier to catch COVID than the ball.

Did you see B Allen back shoulder throw that was 5 to 10 yards short on the sideline and he started pointing at the WR like it was his fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: It's interesting how our forum perceptions differ from sports media. So far every media (CincyJungle, Locked On Bengals, Rapien, Goodberry, etc.) I saw about the game were a lot more bullish on Volson than some in this forum. Not saying one is right and the other wrong but interesting to see the difference.

A lot of that is the things Volson did well were very obvious.  Like, he did a great job knocking guys off the LoS in the run game.  A lot of the things that he didn't do well weren't so obvious during live action or didn't completely short circuit the play.  Like, he got beaten and allowed a pressure on the sidelines grab by Taylor that got reviewed, but there was so much focus on catch/no catch that it became lost in the  context of the game.

For me personally, I have to go back and frame by frame plays to really break down OL play.  There are probably folks better at doing it real time than I am on these boards.  But the stuff I called him out on, I did go through that process.  And there's stuff I missed live.  I actually didn't notice he pulled the wrong way on a play until I saw it on the highlights.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: off topic but not a fan of seeing McPhearson chasing down returners.

Know he eased up and only gave half hearted effort at tackle thankfully being it was only preseason.

Yet after seeing this, do not feel comfortable with someone his size and his importance becoming a target for a headhunting LBer on ST.
 I get it we do not want these special team's kickers to get hurt but you do not want to take the fight out of the dog. Chrisman had a real nice tackle on the sideline and beat two other special team's tacklers to the guy. This guy wants a punters job badly.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:12 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: We cannot go back to the standards of Marvin Lewis and expect our QB to not lose the game for us. We are in a new place with a new higher floor our QB must be able to get yards and touchdowns {on throws not handing it off}.

Realistically, it is hard enough to find a decent starting QB. It is even harder to find a decent backup. Here is a list of FA QBs as it stands right now...

1. Newton
  2. Glennon
  3. McCarron
  4. Hundley
  5. Garrett Gilbert
  6. Nate Stanley
  7. Kevin Hogan
  8. Jake Luton
  9. Kurt Benkert
  10. Anthony Gordon
  11. Ryan Willis
  12. Felix Harper
  13. Brandon Peters
  14. Davis Cheek
  15. Luis Perez
  16. Levi Lewis
  17. D'Eriq King
  18. Kyle Sloter
  19. Cole Kelly
I have had this conversation with other folks this off-season. There are a few common questions/responses that come up, so I will just provide answers to those now...

1. Why did you leave Ryan Fitzpatrick off your list? Spotrac has him listed as the top FA QB, he's better than Allen. - Ryan Fitzpatrick retired in June. Link.
  2. So, are you saying we just shouldn't even try because it is hard? - No, I never said that. If you can show me a QB that is better than Allen right now, then sure, let's sign him. I don't see a guy on this list that is definitively better than Allen, though. 
  3. Just pick one. It can't get any worse than Allen. - It most definitely can. You ever heard of Davis Cheek? Yeah, me either. In all reality, even guys like Glennon or McCarron are not clear cut upgrades. Glennon threw 4 TDs and 10 INTs in action last season. McCarron has managed a 66 QB rating since he left Cincinnati, and has only been good enough to attempt 41 total passes. 
  4. Just sign Newton. He's better. - Maybe. Maybe not. Over the last two seasons, he has 12 TDs to 15 INTs passing. He does have 17 TDs rushing, though. He still provides value there. He is a completely different QB than Joe is, though, so the offense would look substantially different between the two. 

I am probably forgetting something, but that is what I usually run into in these conversations. If there is a guy that is clearly better than Allen, I am all for it. Right now, there just isn't, so why make the move if you are bringing in a guy that doesn't provide a certain upgrade? 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Realistically, it is hard enough to find a decent starting QB. It is even harder to find a decent backup. Here is a list of FA QBs as it stands right now...

1. Newton
  2. Glennon
  3. McCarron
  4. Hundley
  5. Garrett Gilbert
  6. Nate Stanley
  7. Kevin Hogan
  8. Jake Luton
  9. Kurt Benkert
  10. Anthony Gordon
  11. Ryan Willis
  12. Felix Harper
  13. Brandon Peters
  14. Davis Cheek
  15. Luis Perez
  16. Levi Lewis
  17. D'Eriq King
  18. Kyle Sloter
  19. Cole Kelly
I have had this conversation with other folks this off-season. There are a few common questions/responses that come up, so I will just provide answers to those now...

1. Why did you leave Ryan Fitzpatrick off your list? Spotrac has him listed as the top FA QB, he's better than Allen. - Ryan Fitzpatrick retired in June. Link.
  2. So, are you saying we just shouldn't even try because it is hard? - No, I never said that. If you can show me a QB that is better than Allen right now, then sure, let's sign him. I don't see a guy on this list that is definitively better than Allen, though. 
  3. Just pick one. It can't get any worse than Allen. - It most definitely can. You ever heard of Davis Cheek? Yeah, me either. In all reality, even guys like Glennon or McCarron are not clear cut upgrades. Glennon threw 4 TDs and 10 INTs in action last season. McCarron has managed a 66 QB rating since he left Cincinnati, and has only been good enough to attempt 41 total passes. 
  4. Just sign Newton. He's better. - Maybe. Maybe not. Over the last two seasons, he has 12 TDs to 15 INTs passing. He does have 17 TDs rushing, though. He still provides value there. He is a completely different QB than Joe is, though, so the offense would look substantially different between the two. 

I am probably forgetting something, but that is what I usually run into in these conversations. If there is a guy that is clearly better than Allen, I am all for it. Right now, there just isn't, so why make the move if you are bringing in a guy that doesn't provide a certain upgrade? 
My question is do you think B Allen deserves to be handed a job he did not win? We have not brought in much comp for him to win his job from and have not given the other backups a shot at the 2nd string QB spot. He is given the 2nd QB spot without winning it and Zac is not even trying to get better at this spot. He had a clean pocket the whole first half basically and got 65 yards passing. I would guess half of your list could do better than that.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:40 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: My question is do you think B Allen deserves to be handed a job he did not win? We have not brought in much comp for him to win his job from and have not given the other backups a shot at the 2nd string QB spot. He is given the 2nd QB spot without winning it and Zac is not even trying to get better at this spot. 

I don't agree with the premise of your question. Allen had to have won the job in order to have it in the first place. This is Browning's second year on the team, so the coaches know what he brings. Plitt was an unknown, but it is also obvious that he hasn't brought enough to provide a shake up. The coaches are going to be looking for any competitive advantage they can get. If Browning or Plitt were putting on quality performances in practice, Allen's job would be in jeopardy. The fact that the reports are along the lines you stated should tell you that neither guy is good enough to challenge Allen. 

In short, he is "given" the job because neither guy is good enough to take it from him. He's winning the job. If there is a clear upgrade, I am all for bringing them in. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't agree with the premise of your question. Allen had to have won the job in order to have it in the first place. This is Browning's second year on the team, so the coaches know what he brings. Plitt was an unknown, but it is also obvious that he hasn't brought enough to provide a shake up. The coaches are going to be looking for any competitive advantage they can get. If Browning or Plitt were putting on quality performances in practice, Allen's job would be in jeopardy. The fact that the reports are along the lines you stated should tell you that neither guy is good enough to challenge Allen. 

In short, he is "given" the job because neither guy is good enough to take it from him. He's winning the job. If there is a clear upgrade, I am all for bringing them in. 

Allen was given the job because he knew the system and he worked with Zac before ever coming to the Bengals he should have to win that job ever year like everyone else on the team and Zac should bring in guys to push him for that spot and give them the chance to win it. It was clear when they brought Allen out in the second half that Zac needed Allen to put a drive together to justify giving him the job. Bringing a 6 year QB out in the second half against third stringers to just try to make him look good is a pathetic move. And the running game got us down the field that drive not cause of the QB arm.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Realistically, it is hard enough to find a decent starting QB. It is even harder to find a decent backup. Here is a list of FA QBs as it stands right now...

1. Newton
  2. Glennon
  3. McCarron
  4. Hundley
  5. Garrett Gilbert
  6. Nate Stanley
  7. Kevin Hogan
  8. Jake Luton
  9. Kurt Benkert
  10. Anthony Gordon
  11. Ryan Willis
  12. Felix Harper
  13. Brandon Peters
  14. Davis Cheek
  15. Luis Perez
  16. Levi Lewis
  17. D'Eriq King
  18. Kyle Sloter
  19. Cole Kelly

Pause

[Image: Cheek_Davis_17_web.jpg?width=146]
17 Davis Cheek
Hello Bengals fans!  I understand that none of you have heard of me.  I'm Davis Cheek, and I'm your new backup QB!

Here are some fun facts about me!  I was a UDFA out of Elon College -- go Phoenix! -- signed by the quarterback-rich Carolina Panthers.  Despite my impressive stats at Elon -- 8548 yards passing, 51 TD's to 21 INT, 135.9 QBR, 224 yards rushing and 6 TD's-- I was released in May.

Want to know more?  I'm 6-3, 217, from Mathews NC (Butler HS).  I majored in business administration.

I can't wait to throw dimes to Chase, Higgins & Boyd!  Here I come!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: off topic but not a fan of seeing McPhearson chasing down returners.

We need a nobody out there during these games. PKs don't need Game Reps, we're just subjecting Shooter to injury.

I remember there used to be a kicker for the Chargers; who when he kicked he immediately ran off the field. I think his name was Rolf Somebody

EDIT: just looked in up he was Rolf Benirschke. He had a medical condition that required a colectomy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Allen was given the ball on their end of the field twice in a row and could not do anything but overthrow guys. If this was anyone except Allen fans would be calling for him to be cut, take off the blinders.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:59 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Pause

[Image: Cheek_Davis_17_web.jpg?width=146]
17 Davis Cheek
Hello Bengals fans!  I understand that none of you have heard of me.  I'm Davis Cheek, and I'm your new backup QB!

Here are some fun facts about me!  I was a UDFA out of Elon College -- go Phoenix! -- signed by the quarterback-rich Carolina Panthers.  Despite my impressive stats at Elon -- 8548 yards passing, 51 TD's to 21 INT, 135.9 QBR, 224 yards rushing and 6 TD's-- I was released in May.

Want to know more?  I'm 6-3, 217, from Mathews NC (Butler HS).  I majored in business administration.

I can't wait to throw dimes to Chase, Higgins & Boyd!  Here I come!

He sounds like a future superstar. Sorry, Joe. 
Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen does the little things we don’t see. He gets the entire QB room their coffee and has NEVER messed up an order. Double lattes, espressos, zingerdingerwhompwhompjuice, all that good stuff! Plus he babysits the coaching staffs kids in the springtime so the adults can have some me-time. He can also supersub a sick groundskeeper or lunch lady in a pinch. The guy just has invaluable “intangibles” and he’s an awesome plug-n-play with all things NON-QB!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know it has been said but Brandon Allen is not the answer even for a backup. Quarterback. I know the team will retain them. He's into fold but he's terrible.

I think Smith has some rust and he struggled but I'd like to see more of him. Volson looks like a rookie but he's probably the best option at left guard.

I'm a little disappointed and Joseph o. I thought he looked average. The D line outside of the rookie 7th round pick does not provide a lot of pressure, at least from the backups. Carter looks like a keeper and Noah Spence brings it.

I think the new punter will win the job away from Huber. The Cincinnati Bengals really need to draft a tight end next year.

Hard to evaluate a pass rusher last night since QB game plan was dink passing all night long. I don't think they held the ball longer than 2.5 seconds.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 01:09 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Brandon Allen does the little things we don’t see. He gets the entire QB room their coffee and has NEVER messed up an order. Double lattes, espressos, zingerdingerwhompwhompjuice, all that good stuff! Plus he babysits the coaching staffs kids in the springtime so the adults can have some me-time. He can also supersub a sick groundskeeper or lunch lady in a pinch. The guy just has invaluable “intangibles” and he’s an awesome plug-n-play with all things NON-QB!

I saw him go 29-37 (78.4%) for 371 yards, 2 tds, and 0 interceptions against the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:11 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: There was no drama at LG. A snooze fest in fact. That’s a good thing.

We had a couple of people pointing out flaws in Volson, our take was more mixed than the media take. Doesn't mean they or we were right just different. 
Reply/Quote
Joseph Ossai hasn't flashed as much as I'd hoped
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
As to Allen the blocking was pretty decent last night. All the QBs had pockets and time to throw - Allen's accuracy and decision making were just terrible. His pinnacle of badness might be the play where he suddenly tried to change the play after the Center had started the snap count and the results just confused everyone and created a clusterfarb.
Reply/Quote