Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 dead in SC church shooting
(06-22-2015, 10:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We gonna tell buddists they can't use their symbol?  

Of course!  The Dalai Lama and his crew of thugs shot up a school like a week ago.  

(06-23-2015, 12:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And when it's forgotten is when we are at risk to repeat.

That's a pretty strong argument.  Lock and archive.
(06-22-2015, 10:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure how I feel about that.... Yeah it's a disgusting symbol.   But it's history.   I don't see the harm.   The way the town has reacted is a testament to the people that the flag has no affect on them....    I think it's just a nonsense pc move.    

We gonna tell buddists they can't use their symbol?  

[Image: YOffz6Q.jpg]

Jason said it well, but you're comparing apples and oranges. We're talking about Buddhists and other cultures that used a very basic symbol long before the Nazis did. Buddhists also do not use the symbol to "honor the history" of the Nazis.

The continued use of the Confederate flag, however, is something very different. The flag itself was uniquely designed for a treasonous group that group the law and attacked our country. It is still honored by those states that committed said treason. The only history behind it is one of dishonor and a desire to continue an immoral practice.

I hope that in 150 years, people aren't painting the ISIS flag on their flying pick up trucks...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
My thing with the whole use of the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and other uses of the Southern Cross flags of the CSA is that if you really, really want to promote the heritage, the history, and commemorate the lives lost for things beyond just the fight to maintain slavery (because while slavery was the propellant to war most CSA soldiers could not have cared less about slavery, it was a fight to protect their homes in their minds) then use the Stars and Bars. Use the flags of the Confederacy that were not latched onto by hate groups to represent the violence and oppression of slavery.

If you want to honor all of that fly this:
[Image: 810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_...29.svg.png]

History is written by the victors and I have seen all sorts of commentary lately just bashing the south in regards to the history that is so loved here. While I don't agree with them, I get that attitude. The north won, they see the south as having been in rebellion and as being traitors. The south doesn't see it that way for a number of reasons and I won't get into that argument. The crux of it all is that the south is a place rich with history and tradition and no one, especially no yankee, will get them to give that up. There is just a more respectful way to do it and I wish people would recognize that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-21-2015, 08:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You do realize you haven't actually given any.....all you have said is you don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt...for reasons. 

So...how is this not just because he's a republican? 

You don't seem to realize it's possible for someone to find Rick Perry laughable without having a vendetta against the entire Republican party.
(06-23-2015, 09:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My thing with the whole use of the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and other uses of the Southern Cross flags of the CSA is that if you really, really want to promote the heritage, the history, and commemorate the lives lost for things beyond just the fight to maintain slavery (because while slavery was the propellant to war most CSA soldiers could not have cared less about slavery, it was a fight to protect their homes in their minds) then use the Stars and Bars. Use the flags of the Confederacy that were not latched onto by hate groups to represent the violence and oppression of slavery.

If you want to honor all of that fly this:
[Image: 810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_...29.svg.png]

History is written by the victors and I have seen all sorts of commentary lately just bashing the south in regards to the history that is so loved here. While I don't agree with them, I get that attitude. The north won, they see the south as having been in rebellion and as being traitors. The south doesn't see it that way for a number of reasons and I won't get into that argument. The crux of it all is that the south is a place rich with history and tradition and no one, especially no yankee, will get them to give that up. There is just a more respectful way to do it and I wish people would recognize that.

If I go to a restaurant and order a tea in your part of the south, what kinda tea am I gonna get?
(06-23-2015, 09:15 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Jason said it well, but you're comparing apples and oranges. We're talking about Buddhists and other cultures that used a very basic symbol long before the Nazis did. Buddhists also do not use the symbol to "honor the history" of the Nazis.

The continued use of the Confederate flag, however, is something very different. The flag itself was uniquely designed for a treasonous group that group the law and attacked our country. It is still honored by those states that committed said treason. The only history behind it is one of dishonor and a desire to continue an immoral practice.

This.  The Buddhists use of the swastika has nothing to do with Nazi Germany while southerners use of the "rebel flag" has everything to do with rebellion against the United States.
(06-23-2015, 12:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's just history.   If we don't keep it alive we could repeat it....  Keeping the flag in our sights reminds us of where we were and where we shouldn't be going.    If we bury it then it's just a memory that fades until it's forgotten.

And when it's forgotten is when we are at risk to repeat.

Right, because unless the "rebel flag" is flown in public, schools will never be able to teach history.
(06-23-2015, 10:47 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If I go to a restaurant and order a tea in your part of the south, what kinda tea am I gonna get?

There is only one type of tea....Sweet.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-23-2015, 10:50 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: There is only one type of tea....Sweet.

Dick Tea?  Get it together, bro.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/confederate-flag-walmart-south-carolina/index.html

If Walmart is more PC than you; it might be time for a reassesment.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-22-2015, 11:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I live in the south.

Bless your heart, but you live in Florida, sir!  Other than LA (lower Alabama, aka Florida panhandle) and the Redneck Riviera (Destin, PCB area) Florida is not part of the south. Hush your mouth.

(06-23-2015, 10:50 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: There is only one type of tea....Sweet.

Correct. You're in.

Florida's out.

There is only one type of tea in the south...Diabee-tea.
(06-23-2015, 10:47 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If I go to a restaurant and order a tea in your part of the south, what kinda tea am I gonna get?

Sweet tea.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-23-2015, 11:25 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Bless your heart, but you live in Florida, sir!  Other than LA (lower Alabama, aka Florida panhandle) and the Redneck Riviera (Destin, PCB area) Florida is not part of the south. Hush your mouth.

Yeah, I was going to say that earlier but decided not to. America's penis may be south of the Mason-Dixon, but it ain't The South.

(06-23-2015, 12:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I was going to say that earlier but decided not to. America's penis may be south of the Mason-Dixon, but it ain't The South.

It's more like a combination of Cuba, a giant trailer park, and small spots of MTV's SPRING BREAK Raps, yo!!!!!
(06-22-2015, 10:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure how I feel about that.... Yeah it's a disgusting symbol.   But it's history.   I don't see the harm.   The way the town has reacted is a testament to the people that the flag has no affect on them....    I think it's just a nonsense pc move.    

We gonna tell buddists they can't use their symbol?  

[Image: YOffz6Q.jpg]

That's what we have museums and history books for.  I've even seen swastikas in them.  
(06-23-2015, 12:51 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: That's what we have museums and history books for.  I've even seen swastikas in them.  

But according to FLOTUS musems are only for white people.

(06-23-2015, 12:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But according to FLOTUS musems are only for white people.

Pretty much.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-23-2015, 12:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But according to FLOTUS musems are only for white people.

LOL...This would be for white people...mostly any way.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-23-2015, 01:00 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: LOL...This would be for white people...mostly any way.

Ok, Ms Obama