Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bi-Partisan Group of Congresspeople Want to Overturn Citizens United
https://hillreporter.com/a-bi-partisan-group-of-congresspeople-want-to-overturn-citizens-united-20157

I think almost everyone who isn't a politician will agree this is a good thing (Probably not everyone haha). Corporations aren't people no matter what the Supreme Court may have said and it is about time we fixed the issues that were introduced with that ruling. Politicians who don't support it, well we can probably guess why.
(01-04-2019, 03:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: https://hillreporter.com/a-bi-partisan-group-of-congresspeople-want-to-overturn-citizens-united-20157

I think almost everyone who isn't a politician will agree this is a good thing (Probably not everyone haha). Corporations aren't people no matter what the Supreme Court may have said and it is about time we fixed the issues that were introduced with that ruling. Politicians who don't support it, well we can probably guess why.

Just overturning Citizens won’t fix the problem. Our government was captured and controlled by big money and corporations loooooong before Citizens. To fix the problem, two things have to overturned via Constitutional amendment, Citizens and Buckley v. Valeo, money = speech opened the flood gates for lobbyists and bribes.
(01-04-2019, 03:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just overturning Citizens won’t fix the problem. Our government was captured and controlled by big money and corporations loooooong before Citizens. To fix the problem, two things have to overturned via Constitutional amendment, Citizens and Buckley v. Valeo, money = speech opened the flood gates for lobbyists and bribes.

By fixing Citizens you minimize Buckley. I'm not sure anyone would ever go for Buckley changes at this point in terms of capping campaign spending but if we can limit how the money can be acquired I am fine with where we'd be.
(01-04-2019, 03:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: https://hillreporter.com/a-bi-partisan-group-of-congresspeople-want-to-overturn-citizens-united-20157

Again, this seems like something most would agree on.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Good to hear. Hopefully they'll put together decent legislation that the current pro big business court won't rip up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So here is where things will get sticky. There are two things at the heart of the issue with Citizens United. The issue of Buckley and making money speech has already been mentioned. Also, though, is the issue of corporate personhood. I don't know how far that fight will actually get in the political climate we are in. Because personhood is such a hot-button topic for the right-wing, the negotiations over how that policy would be written wouldn't be as easy as you think.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR