Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A.J. Green Out Longer Than Reported 6 to 8 Weeks
(09-18-2019, 11:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed with this; he is still an asset moving forward.

Yep and losing teams hold players past their prime and not get a good trade out of it. They way overpay for past performances on declining players and don’t realize that it’s a part of the reason that they stay losing teams. The Bengals will give him a huge contract as his numbers decline. He was a great player! Guess what, his career is ready to decline! Why don’t they just sign him on a huge deal for 4 more years and nickname him Joey Votto? He’s a good dude and has had a great career but he’s no longer in his prime. They need to get prime numbers from guys that they pay prime money. This team is mostly horrible because of how they spread out the money, look at guys like Hart and Dre.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep and losing teams hold players past their prime and not get a good trade out of it. They way overpay for past performances on declining players and don’t realize that it’s a part of the reason that they stay losing teams. The Bengals will give him a huge contract as his numbers decline. He was a great player! Guess what, his career is ready to decline! Why don’t they just sign him on a huge deal for 4 more years and nickname him Joey Votto? He’s a good dude and has had a great career but he’s no longer in his prime. They need to get prime numbers from guys that they pay prime money. This team is mostly horrible because of how they spread out the money, look at guys like Hart and Dre.

Did you say the same thing about giving Geno a huge contract at his age?

I’m sure you’ll say a WR is more likely to decline earlier, but as I keep pointing out, AJ is still dominant when he’s on the field. He was on pace for 1400 yds and 12 TD last season. He’s shown NO signs of declining as of yet.

Now if injuries are your concern, that’s fair.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep and losing teams hold players past their prime and not get a good trade out of it. They way overpay for past performances on declining players and don’t realize that it’s a part of the reason that they stay losing teams. The Bengals will give him a huge contract as his numbers decline. He was a great player! Guess what, his career is ready to decline! Why don’t they just sign him on a huge deal for 4 more years and nickname him Joey Votto? He’s a good dude and has had a great career but he’s no longer in his prime. They need to get prime numbers from guys that they pay prime money. This team is mostly horrible because of how they spread out the money, look at guys like Hart and Dre.

A Two to three year deal front loaded deal wouldn't be bad.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep and losing teams hold players past their prime and not get a good trade out of it. They way overpay for past performances on declining players and don’t realize that it’s a part of the reason that they stay losing teams. The Bengals will give him a huge contract as his numbers decline. He was a great player! Guess what, his career is ready to decline! Why don’t they just sign him on a huge deal for 4 more years and nickname him Joey Votto? He’s a good dude and has had a great career but he’s no longer in his prime. They need to get prime numbers from guys that they pay prime money. This team is mostly horrible because of how they spread out the money, look at guys like Hart and Dre.

People act like AJ Green wasn't having a great season last year. I guess the argument can be made that he's injury prone, but there has been no decline in production when he's been on the field.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You can't trade him for any worthwhile compensation if he isn't under contract. Wait until the end of the season to see what some other team may want to give for him. If he lights it up the rest then you can sign or franchise him and still trade him if you want. AJ would be crazy to play before he is totally healthy or will he give the Bengals a discount at the end of the season because they didn't try to sign him over the off season.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you say the same thing about giving Geno a huge contract at his age?

I’m sure you’ll say a WR is more likely to decline earlier, but as I keep pointing out, AJ is still dominant when he’s on the field. He was on pace for 1400 yds and 12 TD last season. He’s shown NO signs of declining as of yet.

Now if injuries are your concern, that’s fair.

You have a valid point. I guess I look at it as Geno will lose less strength than AJ will lose speed to perform at their positions. AJ’s injuries bother me a little more. I think that if Geno falls off that he would still make a fantastic rotation piece where as AJ it is more likely to fall faster. AJ seems like a great time to transition away from while Geno feels more borderline. These are just my personal opinions.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 12:49 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: A Two to three year deal front loaded deal wouldn't be bad.

I’m not totally againt signing him but it shouldn’t be a gross overpay for past performance and that’s what I think the Bengals will do. If they do that then it contributes more to losing than winning.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep and losing teams hold players past their prime and not get a good trade out of it. They way overpay for past performances on declining players and don’t realize that it’s a part of the reason that they stay losing teams. The Bengals will give him a huge contract as his numbers decline. He was a great player! Guess what, his career is ready to decline! Why don’t they just sign him on a huge deal for 4 more years and nickname him Joey Votto? He’s a good dude and has had a great career but he’s no longer in his prime. They need to get prime numbers from guys that they pay prime money. This team is mostly horrible because of how they spread out the money, look at guys like Hart and Dre.

I don't think he is declining or close to it. If he was, why does he command double teams all the time? Injuries are a concern, but with the way the ball is being spread around, it just might  make it easier to keep AJ injury free.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 09:11 AM)jason Wrote: People act like AJ Green wasn't having a great season last year. I guess the argument can be made that he's injury prone, but there has been no decline in production when he's been on the field.

Has there been decline since his most recent injury? We don’t know that. I’d prefer turning the page now on AJ and Andy. It’s not terrible if the bring AJ back but the numbers have to match what he is projected to do in the future. He’s no longer 25.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 11:15 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think he is declining or close to it. If he was, why does he command double teams all the time? Injuries are a concern, but with the way the ball is being spread around, it just might  make it easier to keep AJ injury free.

If he’s not declining then he’s in his prime. I’m curious as to how many more prime years you believe that he has? I’m a big AJ fan but managing a team comes with some difficult decisions.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 11:20 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: If he’s not declining then he’s in his prime. I’m curious as to how many more prime years you believe that he has? I’m a big AJ fan but managing a team comes with some difficult decisions.

I would say 3 or 4 years aren't out of the question. There have been a few Wrs that have played into their mid to late 30's. When other teams start not being concerned about AJ, then we have a problem.
Reply/Quote
I love A J Green, but WRs and RBs decline much quicker than other players. They tend to fall off a cliff at age 31 or so.

With all of Greens recent injury problems I would not want to invest money in a new contract for him unless he returns quickly and plays absolutely lights out the rest of this season. Even then I would not want to give him much of a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love A J Green, but WRs and RBs decline much quicker than other players.  They tend to fall off a cliff at age 31 or so.

With all of Greens recent injury problems I would not want to invest money in a new contract for him unless he returns quickly and plays absolutely lights out the rest of this season.  Even then I would not want to give him much of a long term deal.

I agree 100%. I'm not worried about AJ's current injury, he will heal from the sprain. The injury that worries me is his turf toe. It will continue to be a problem for the rest of his career, heck Deion Sanders had to retire from turf toe. Just google "Deion Sanders Turf Toe" and take a look at his foot and his toes. As for AJ , I would offer him a 2 year extension at most.(That's if he comes back and plays at a high level this year.) If he thinks he can get a longer contract someplace else, more power to him. I hope he remains a Bengal and can play through his turf toe condition, but I wouldn't mortgage the farm for him.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 11:26 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I would say 3 or 4 years aren't out of the question. There have been a few Wrs that have played into their mid to late 30's. When other teams start not being concerned about AJ, then we have a problem.

He's 31 now. I doubt he's still in his prime at 34/34.

He doesn't rely on speed though so that part should age well. But he does rely on jumping which will go sooner rather than later.

I'd say Randy Moss is a good comparison and age 32 was his last 1000 yard year. Then he fell off a cliff at age 33. No absolutes though. Jerry Rice put up 1000 yards at age 40.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 12:52 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I agree 100%. I'm not worried about AJ's current injury, he will heal from the sprain. The injury that worries me is his turf toe. It will continue to be a problem for the rest of his career, heck Deion Sanders had to retire from turf toe. Just google "Deion Sanders Turf Toe" and take a look at his foot and his toes. As for AJ , I would offer him a 2 year extension at most.(That's if he comes back and plays at a high level this year.) If he thinks he can get a longer contract someplace else, more power to him. I hope he remains a Bengal and can play through his turf toe condition, but I wouldn't mortgage the farm for him.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:32 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He was on the rehab field today an pretty much said last week that Pitt was his Target to comeback. So it seems like he is on schedule.

(09-19-2019, 12:10 AM)Whatever Wrote: Rotoworld incorrectly cited the quote as being from 9/17.  It's actually from the linked Bengals.com article published on 9/11.

Thank you. :andy:
Reply/Quote
I actually feel for the Front Office on this.

If they don't sign him they are cheap, losers, disrespectful, not committed to winning etc
If they sign him they are short-sighted, sentimental, neglect the defense, only invest in flashy positions, only pay their own etc
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 01:18 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I actually feel for the Front Office on this.

If they don't sign him they are cheap, losers, disrespectful, not committed to winning etc
If they sign him they are short-sighted, sentimental, neglect the defense, only invest in flashy positions, only pay their own etc

Well they wanted to sign Whitworth. They were prancing around the combine telling people it was a lock he was coming back...

Then...it fell through. Whitworth wanted to come back too...

The Rams just offered more money.

It's not like the Bengals intentionally let him walk. I do think they lack flexibility on negotiations sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 12:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's 31 now. I doubt he's still in his prime at 34/34.

He doesn't rely on speed though so that part should age well. But he does rely on jumping which will go sooner rather than later.

I'd say Randy Moss is a good comparison and age 32 was his last 1000 yard year. Then he fell off a cliff at age 33. No absolutes though. Jerry Rice put up 1000 yards at age 40.

And TO had 983 yds 9 TD at what 37/38?

AJ needs to retire a Bengal. The money isn’t going to be used for a top outside FA anyway. If Ross and Boyd can continue to play at a high level AJ won’t have to carry our offense so much anymore. I could see him taking a reasonable hometown deal to finish his career in Cincinnati. Playing on only one team is something special, and it’s becoming more and more rare these days.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 01:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And TO had 983 yds 9 TD at what 37/38?

AJ needs to retire a Bengal. The money isn’t going to be used for a top outside FA anyway. If Ross and Boyd can continue to play at a high level AJ won’t have to carry our offense so much anymore. I could see him taking a reasonable hometown deal to finish his career in Cincinnati. Playing on only one team is something special, and it’s becoming more and more rare these days.

I'm for keeping him IF he wants to be here, but I think we all need to realize that he probably only has 1 or 2 prime years left.

And he probably won't be worth $15 million a year.

I think TO and AJ have much different games. AJ makes jumping catches. He's more Randy Moss than TO. AJ doesn't get a lot of separation now. When he slows down more, it's going to be rough.
Reply/Quote