Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A.J McCarron...can he be a franchise qb?
They were offered a 2nd and a 4th.

They declined that, they WANTED a 1st and a 4th.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:03 AM)milksheikh Wrote: They were offered a 2nd and a 4th.

This makes more sense. I would have turned down a second and fourth. But, not a first.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
What's the chance Cleveland gives us the first or tenth pick in the first round? Doubtful.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I think aj mccarron can be a starting quarterback in this league.  I'm not sold on him being a franchise quarterback... But given the right pieces around him he could lead a team to the playoffs and put up decent numbers.

I could be wrong and he could
Be the next Brett Favre but I haven't seen that out of him just yet.  Likely more along the lines of a Matt Schaub (which isn't a bad thing)

Speaking of Schaub, would you trade mccarron for a 2nd in 2017 AND a 2nd in 2018?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:36 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: This makes more sense. I would have turned down a second and fourth. But, not a first.

I would trade him for a 2nd and fourth, if it was Cleveland... That means it's the 33rd pick which is pretty much a 1st.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:03 AM)milksheikh Wrote: They were offered a 2nd and a 4th.

That makes sense. Turning down a 1st and 4th would be crazy.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:59 AM)J24 Wrote: Romo- Has a bad back and is 36 years old who would trade for them?
Garrappolo- might not be traded because Tom is 40 years old(Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him instead of Jimmy but that's a whole new discussion)
Cutler- I am not sure who would want him. He as been average throughout his whole career plus he isn't known to be the most charismatic QB in the NFL. I think he will be more in the backup QB market then starting.
AJ will have plenty of lookers and interest but I agree he won't be anything special.

Romo- Peyton was 36 with a bad neck. Your point? Romo is a fantastic QB and someone will roll the dice.
Jimmy G- I believe the Pats will want to keep him, but it's a shaky situation. Only one year on Jimmy's deal and Brady wants to keep playing. I'm sure Jimmy wants to play too.
Cutler- This guy gets knocked, but let's be real. Fitzpatrick, Osweiler, and RGIII were starters this year. Cutler will be an upgrade somewhere and will start.

I don't know about "plenty", but McCarron will have an interested team or two. Just depends on if those teams would rather go FA or draft a guy much younger than Mac with a longer (cheap) rookie contract.

With a late 1st round pick (top QBs will be gone) I guess I would see the Texans being interested. But I could also see Romo there. Jimmy G I'm sure would be preferred based on his NE connection. If those fall through, maybe they try Mac. The Browns are the only other obvious team I can think of, but they're loaded with picks and could take BPA at #1 and a QB at #12.

(01-17-2017, 11:57 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I think aj mccarron can be a starting quarterback in this league.  I'm not sold on him being a franchise quarterback... But given the right pieces around him he could lead a team to the playoffs and put up decent numbers.

I could be wrong and he could
Be the next Brett Favre but I haven't seen that out of him just yet.  Likely more along the lines of a Matt Schaub (which isn't a bad thing)

Speaking of Schaub, would you trade mccarron for a 2nd in 2017 AND a 2nd in 2018?

I even think being the next Matt Schaub is a lofty goal. Schaubby was a damn good QB for several years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Romo- Peyton was 36 with a bad neck. Your point? Romo is a fantastic QB and someone will roll the dice.
Jimmy G- I believe the Pats will want to keep him, but it's a shaky situation. Only one year on Jimmy's deal and Brady wants to keep playing. I'm sure Jimmy wants to play too.
Cutler- This guy gets knocked, but let's be real. Fitzpatrick, Osweiler, and RGIII were starters this year. Cutler will be an upgrade somewhere and will start.

I don't know about "plenty", but McCarron will have an interested team or two. Just depends on if those teams would rather go FA or draft a guy much younger than Mac with a longer (cheap) rookie contract.

With a late 1st round pick (top QBs will be gone) I guess I would see the Texans being interested. But I could also see Romo there. Jimmy G I'm sure would be preferred based on his NE connection. If those fall through, maybe they try Mac. The Browns are the only other obvious team I can think of, but they're loaded with picks and could take BPA at #1 and a QB at #12.

I even think being the next Matt Schaub is a lofty goal. Schaubby was a damn good QB for several years.

Yea it would be, but if you put him on a team with a top RB and top WR with a good offensive line and above average defense I think mccarron would be able to win majority of games (9-7 / 10-6) and accumulate good stats.  I think any decent qb could actually do that.  

I don't see the Texans doing anything at this point to upgrade at qb, they already invested a crap ton in osweiller.  They at least give it another year. 

Teams that may be looking for a qb- 

Browns- I doubt the bengals trade him within division
bills- decision to make on tyrod.  
jets- need to rebuild ground up- doubtful
Broncos- don't see anyone but Romo here
jags- will the new regime try to get something out of Bortles before giving up
Texans- should they, yea... Wil they... Doubt it
cardinals- Arians likely on hot seat.  Needs to win to keep job.  Doubt he goes with anyone but Palmer
 9ers- probably draft, but maybe trade
 bears- potentially but again probably the draft

Not sure there are all that many realistic options.  The bad teams at the top of the draft probably roll dice on the top of the qb class.  Best chance would be someone like the bills who don't want tyrod on that contract and miss out on the top qbs.  And then maybe get a 2nd round pick.   Missed oppurtunity last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 09:57 AM)jason Wrote: How many players on the Bengals would draw an offer of a 1st and a 4th? Would any of them?

none
Reply/Quote
a smart team wouldn't even offer a 1st and 4th for dalton
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Romo- Peyton was 36 with a bad neck. Your point? Romo is a fantastic QB and someone will roll the dice.

I think Houston is a good landing spot for him. They have all that money tied up in Osweiler that getting him there on the end of a low paying rookie deal will offset that. Then they can waive Osweiler and sign him to a contract after next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 04:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Houston is a good landing spot for him. They have all that money tied up in Osweiler that getting him there on the end of a low paying rookie deal will offset that. Then they can waive Osweiler and sign him to a contract after next season.
So you think that after seeing Brock osweiller for 5 games in Denver (give or take) and paying him that money... They will mortgage a 1st round pick for another qb that has less experience?  
I bet Houston doesn't double down after last year
Reply/Quote
Just to address the first sentence of the thread-starting post: That is not true.

I know Lap came on and said they were offered a 2 and a 4. That is also not true. Lap and I talk to a lot of the same people behind the scenes, but Marvin Lewis came out on the record in our final BTS and said not a single team inquired about No. 5. Marvin may omit certain truths, or speak in a partial truth, in public settings, but in my two years covering the team he's never outright lied to my face.

As for the larger question: There's a reason no one offered those picks to the Bengals for him. There's a reason he fell to the fifth round and likely would have kept falling had the Bengals not picked what they felt the best player available was.

Curious to see how it goes for him this summer. He's ready to be traded, but I think the biggest question is when: Prior to this draft, or in training camp or in the preseason if a team loses a QB.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 08:16 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Just to address the first sentence of the thread-starting post: That is not true.

I know Lap came on and said they were offered a 2 and a 4. That is also not true. Lap and I talk to a lot of the same people behind the scenes, but Marvin Lewis came out on the record in our final BTS and said not a single team inquired about No. 5. Marvin may omit certain truths, or speak in a partial truth, in public settings, but in my two years covering the team he's never outright lied to my face.

As for the larger question: There's a reason no one offered those picks to the Bengals for him. There's a reason he fell to the fifth round and likely would have kept falling had the Bengals not picked what they felt the best player available was.

Curious to see how it goes for him this summer. He's ready to be traded, but I think the biggest question is when: Prior to this draft, or in training camp or in the preseason if a team loses a QB.
See guys...

We can stop it with this foolishness. Dude is a serviceable backup. They aren't getting diddley for him in a trade.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Ouch. So not a single team has even inquired about Mac.

Kinda puts a dent in all this McCarron is awesome talk. Yikes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 09:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ouch. So not a single team has even inquired about Mac.

I don't even think he will start for a team honestly. I think he will be a permanent backup. I don't think he has the skills or ability to be a starting NFL QB. He's more than likely going to be a backup the rest of his career.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That makes sense. Turning down a 1st and 4th would be crazy.

The only way the Bengals can get an additional first round pick in the draft would be to deal Andy Dalton, not AJ McCarron. I'm not saying I want this to happen but for a first rounder, there's the only deal any other team would take.
Reply/Quote
If AJ MC is OK with his position in the league, we always need a capable backup. He almost won us a playoff game, Dalton was having a killer year. The backup is hardly ever better than the starter...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 09:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ouch. So not a single team has even inquired about Mac.

Whoops! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 06:09 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: So you think that after seeing Brock osweiller for 5 games in Denver (give or take) and paying him that money... They will mortgage a 1st round pick for another qb that has less experience?  
I bet Houston doesn't double down after last year

It might not be a 1st Round pick...Probably more like a 2nd Round pick.

I think his rookie deal makes that scenario workable.
Reply/Quote