Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A.J McCarron...can he be a franchise qb?
(01-18-2017, 12:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: If AJ MC is OK with his position in the league, we always need a capable backup. He almost didn't lose us a playoff game, Dalton was having a killer year. The backup is hardly ever better than the starter...

Fixed it.

McCarron didn't almost win anything. If he had done *anything* against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL that year in the first 3.5 quarters of the game, it would have been a blowout win for the Bengals.

Defense played their hearts out, shut down a potent offense, and gave the Bengals really short fields and turnovers in order to keep them in that game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 09:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fixed it.

McCarron didn't almost win anything. If he had done *anything* against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL that year in the first 3.5 quarters of the game, it would have been a blowout win for the Bengals.

Defense played their hearts out, shut down a potent offense, and gave the Bengals really short fields and turnovers in order to keep them in that game.
Completely agree. Vontaze Burfict almost won that game for the Bengals. Then Jeremy Nae Nae, frustration, and Porter intervened.

So here's how I think this AJ McCarron is some future great rotting on our bench got started....

April 2011: Fresh off a garbage season, Carson Palmer says "**** this". The Bengals say "We better draft a QB". Marvin likes the red head from TCU. They draft Andy Dalton. He has a reputation as a winner, but his arm strength is questioned. Dalton plays pretty well during the blacked out season. They make the playoffs... Dalton stinks in the game. They lose.

2012: The Bengals, and their up and down QB have an up and down season, but rally to make the playoffs. Dalton isn't great in the postseason again.

2013: The Bengals look primed to make a postseason run, only to lose to the Chargers in the WC round. Dalton, and the team as a whole sucks it up again.

2014: The Bengals draft AJ McCarron in the 5th round. Some fans be like "Aw shit. This McCarron is a winner. Dalton totally sucks". McCarron is out all year or something, and the team kinda sucks. They limp into the playoffs, get their asses beat, and Dalton sucks again.

2015: Fans are clamoring for McCarron to be the new starter because you know, he won in college. Signs are hung at training camp. Dalton is booed at Great American Ballpark. The Bengals get pimp slapped by Tampa Bay in the preseason. Several members of this board commit suicide.

The following game Dalton injures his neck. AJ McCarron rides his crimson elephant onto the field for the first time in stripes. He proceeds to throw a long TD to Marvin Jones... This message board explodes. "McCarron's the guy!!!" they all say.

Meanwhile Dalton plays at an MVP level until his season is ultimately ended by injury. "Don't worry... We have McCarron." they say. McCarron promptly throws a pick six (which William Gay is still celebrating). Over the next few games he mediocres the Bengals outta a first round bye. McCarron sucks in the playoff game until he rides Burfict's coattails, and hits AJ Green for what should have been the game winning TD.

2016: McCarron rides the pine while the team sucks. Some fans be like "put in McCarron." Other fans be like "trade McCarron... For MULTIPLE picks".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Completely agree. Vontaze Burfict almost won that game for the Bengals. Then Jeremy Nae Nae, frustration, and Porter intervened.

So here's how I think this AJ McCarron is some future great rotting on our bench got started....  

April 2011: Fresh off a garbage season, Carson Palmer says "**** this". The Bengals say "We better draft a QB". Marvin likes the red head from TCU. They draft Andy Dalton. He has a reputation as a winner, but his arm strength is questioned. Dalton plays pretty well during the blacked out season. They make the playoffs... Dalton stinks in the game. They lose.

2012: The Bengals, and their up and down QB have an up and down season, but rally to make the playoffs. Dalton isn't great in the postseason again.

2013: The Bengals look primed to make a postseason run, only to lose to the Chargers in the WC round. Dalton, and the team as a whole sucks it up again.

2014: The Bengals draft AJ McCarron in the 5th round. Some fans be like "Aw shit. This McCarron is a winner. Dalton totally sucks". McCarron is out all year or something, and the team kinda sucks. They limp into the playoffs, get their asses beat, and Dalton sucks again.

2015:  Fans are clamoring for McCarron to be the new starter because you know, he won in college. Signs are hung at training camp. Dalton is booed at Great American Ballpark. The Bengals get pimp slapped by Tampa Bay in the preseason. Several members of this board commit suicide.

The following game Dalton injures his neck. AJ McCarron rides his crimson elephant onto the field for the first time in stripes. He proceeds to throw a long TD to Marvin Jones... This message board explodes. "McCarron's the guy!!!" they all say.

Meanwhile Dalton plays at an MVP level until his season is ultimately ended by injury. "Don't worry... We have McCarron."  they say. McCarron promptly throws a pick six (which William Gay is still celebrating). Over the next few games he mediocres the Bengals outta a first round bye. McCarron sucks in the playoff game until he rides Burfict's coattails, and hits AJ Green for what should have been the game winning TD.

2016: McCarron rides the pine while the team sucks. Some fans be like "put in McCarron." Other fans be like "trade McCarron... For MULTIPLE picks".

Rofl
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 10:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Rofl
You remember... People were losing it over that preseason loss.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:02 PM)jason Wrote: You remember... People were losing it over that preseason loss.

Yeah I remember. It was all "Typical Bengals, can never win in prime time, even in preseason! We are going to suck this season!!!"
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Completely agree. Vontaze Burfict almost won that game for the Bengals. Then Jeremy Nae Nae, frustration, and Porter intervened.

2015:  Fans are clamoring for McCarron to be the new starter because you know, he won in college. Signs are hung at training camp. Dalton is booed at Great American Ballpark. The Bengals get pimp slapped by Tampa Bay in the preseason. Several members of this board commit suicide.

Meanwhile Dalton plays at an MVP level until his season is ultimately ended by injury. "Don't worry... We have McCarron."  they say. McCarron promptly throws a pick six (which William Gay is still celebrating). Over the next few games he mediocres the Bengals outta a first round bye. McCarron sucks in the playoff game until he rides Burfict's coattails, and hits AJ Green for what should have been the game winning TD.

Nice! The only thing I might change is that in 2014 Andy actually did okay in the playoff game when you remember we were running Rex Burkhead out as the #1 WR, had Hewitt playing TE and after halftime we didn't even have Hill. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 09:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fixed it.

....but.....but....but......ROLL DAMN TIDE!  LMAO 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 12:42 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Lance McAlister said a few weeks ago the Bengals were offered a 1st and 4th for A.J and they
turned it down

so along those thought lines a NFL front office felt A.J had all the traits of a franchise QB.
is this franchise so in love with Andy that they are afraid to see in a QB battle in training camp.that A.J
is ACTUALLY THE BETTER QB AND BE PREPARED TO ADVANCE THIS FRANCHISE past 1st rd losses ?
it looks like to me from the sample size from AJ over 2 seasons he cant do any worse than Dalton has.
I'm not a Dalton hater by any means
I just want to see the best QB on the field
I know it's apple oranges but Tom Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe years back and you know the rest of the story

Are you sure? All things I recall hearing were that the Bengals were offered a 2nd and 4th, but declined because they wanted a 1st and 4th.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you sure? All things I recall hearing were that the Bengals were offered a 2nd and 4th, but declined because they wanted a 1st and 4th.

No one even asked about McCarron. Jim O confirmed it a page or two back.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: No one even asked about McCarron. Jim O confirmed it a page or two back.

With the lack of quality qbs in this draft I could still see us getting a high pick even if nobody asked for him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: With the lack of quality qbs in this draft I could still see us getting a high pick even if nobody asked for him. 

I doubt it when people went after RGIII before even asking the Bengals what they could get for him. People would much rather go after Cutler, Romo, Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Bryan Hoyer, and Jimmy G before McCarron (maybe even a few others). Plus that's not including a QB or two that they could roll the dice on for a long rookie contract in the draft, because next year is McCarrons last year on a rookie deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:23 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I doubt it when people went after RGIII before even asking the Bengals what they could get for him. People would much rather go after Cutler, Romo, Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Bryan Hoyer, and Jimmy G before McCarron (maybe even a few others). Plus that's not including a QB or two that they could roll the dice on for a long rookie contract in the draft, because next year is McCarrons last year on a rookie deal.

yeah but that was bc the Bengals had already come out saying there was no way they were trading him multiple times. I could see Jimmy g. That's it. Hoyer has proven he can't be a starter, nobody's taking on romos contract he's never healthy anyways, Taylor just isn't a good qb  but possibly could see him as well. As far as Cutler hes a pick machine and doesn't seem to care that will turn a lot of teams off.i would say top 4 would be Jimmy g then a tie between mccarron/backup from tb, then Taylor. I see buffalo/49ers as top 2 destinations if Browns don't take him.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah but that was bc the Bengals had already come out saying there was no way they were trading him multiple times. I could see Jimmy g. That's it. Hoyer has proven he can't be a starter, nobody's taking on romos contract he's never healthy anyways, Taylor just isn't a good qb  but possibly could see him as well. As far as Cutler hes a pick machine and doesn't seem to care that will turn a lot of teams off.i would say top 4 would be Jimmy g then a tie between mccarron/backup from tb, then Taylor. I see buffalo/49ers as top 2 destinations if Browns don't take him.

Idk man. Teams posture all the time, saying "we won't trade player x". If some teams out there are dying to get their hands on Mac, I don't think that would've stopped them from making a simple phone call.

If I were a fan of a QB needy team, I can say with zero doubt that I'd prefer Romo, Taylor, Cutler or Jimmy G over McCarron.    None of those guys are as bad as you make it seem. Romo has had plenty of healthy seasons and would've played this year if not for Dak. Cutler is not an INT machine and has been considered a quality starter for much of his career. Taylor is a great dual threat and an efficient passer. Jimmy G is basically McCarron with a better arm and athleticism. He's also from the team that everyone tries to emulate.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah but that was bc the Bengals had already come out saying there was no way they were trading him multiple times. I could see Jimmy g. That's it. Hoyer has proven he can't be a starter, nobody's taking on romos contract he's never healthy anyways, Taylor just isn't a good qb  but possibly could see him as well. As far as Cutler hes a pick machine and doesn't seem to care that will turn a lot of teams off.i would say top 4 would be Jimmy g then a tie between mccarron/backup from tb, then Taylor. I see buffalo/49ers as top 2 destinations if Browns don't take him.

Actually Mike Brown came out and said that he would trade McCarron last off-season. Hoyer played really well last time he was a starter. He had 2600 yards 19 TDs and 7 INTs (almost a 92 rating) when he didn't start a lot of the games for the Texans, and when Cutler went down he had a 98 rating for the games he was in (1445 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs). Way better than McCarron. All of the QBs I listed teams would easily want them over McCarron since they're just flat out better. There's probably QBs out there that's better than McCarron that I forgot about.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Idk man. Teams posture all the time, saying "we won't trade player x". If some teams out there are dying to get their hands on Mac, I don't think that would've stopped them from making a simple phone call.

If I were a fan of a QB needy team, I can say with zero doubt that I'd prefer Romo, Taylor, Cutler or Jimmy G over McCarron.    None of those guys are as bad as you make it seem. Romo has had plenty of healthy seasons and would've played this year if not for Dak. Cutler is not an INT machine and has been considered a quality starter for much of his career. Taylor is a great dual threat and an efficient passer. Jimmy G is basically McCarron with a better arm and athleticism. He's also from the team that everyone tries to emulate.
when I was talking about room I was talking about his contract more than anything. It's like 15 mill right? And he wasn't even healthy till week 10.  And while he has had plenty of healthy seasons the last 4 his back has been brittle. As far as Cutler I think it's more of the whole attitude problem. Look at all the teammates who have bashed him after they left. If the bills wanted to keep Taylor they would but they're not bc he's just not that good but agree to disagree on him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:06 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Actually Mike Brown came out and said that he would trade McCarron last off-season. Hoyer played really well last time he was a starter. He had 2600 yards 19 TDs and 7 INTs (almost a 92 rating) when he didn't start a lot of the games for the Texans, and when Cutler went down he had a 98 rating for the games he was in (1445 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs). Way better than McCarron. All of the QBs I listed teams would easily want them over McCarron since they're just flat out better. There's probably QBs out there that's better than McCarron that I forgot about.

Last time he started a game didn't he have like 4 or 5 picks? Mccarron had 0 as a starter. And as far as romo and Cutler it's contract and attitude more than talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:17 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Last time he started a game didn't he have like 4 or 5 picks? Mccarron had 0 as a starter. And as far as romo and Cutler it's contract and attitude more than talent.

One of McCarrons first passes when Dalton went down was a pick 6 lol. McCarron has multiple picks and a TON of fumbles. Hoyer had 0 INTs and 6 TDs with 1445 yards last year when Cutler went down. He didn't have 4 or 5 picks the last time he started lol. Hell, he had 7 the whole year he was the starter for the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:17 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Last time he started a game didn't he have like 4 or 5 picks? Mccarron had 0 as a starter. And as far as romo and Cutler it's contract and attitude more than talent.

Hoyer had 4 INTs in the Texans 2015 playoff game, but hasn't had a pick since then.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 01:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: One of McCarrons first passes when Dalton went down was a pick 6 lol. McCarron has multiple picks and a TON of fumbles. Hoyer had 0 INTs and 6 TDs with 1445 yards last year when Cutler went down. He didn't have 4 or 5 picks the last time he started lol. Hell, he had 7 the whole year he was the starter for the Texans.

15-34 136 yards 4 ints also had a fumble. Against kc in the playoffs. My whole point being mccarron didn't have a pick when he started a game. You know hoyer is nothing more than a backup. Mccarron could be a steady starter.
Reply/Quote
I like McCarron, but he nor anyone else on our roster should be called a "franchise QB".
Reply/Quote