Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A.J McCarron...can he be a franchise qb?
Lance McAlister said a few weeks ago the Bengals were offered a 1st and 4th for A.J and they
turned it down
so along those thought lines a NFL front office felt A.J had all the traits of a franchise QB.
is this franchise so in love with Andy that they are afraid to see in a QB battle in training camp.that A.J
is ACTUALLY THE BETTER QB AND BE PREPARED TO ADVANCE THIS FRANCHISE past 1st rd losses ?
it looks like to me from the sample size from AJ over 2 seasons he cant do any worse than Dalton has.
I'm not a Dalton hater by any means
I just want to see the best QB on the field
I know it's apple oranges but Tom Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe years back and you know the rest of the story
Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron can definitely become a star in the NFL. The only question is where. He has the physical tools, he's smart, he possesses excellent mechanics, and he has national championship experience in the spotlight -- so what's not to like?

Nothing.

While AJ is special, he's not in Andy Dalton's league and he won't be unless he gets some starting time. Now we know, barring injury, this won't happen in Cincinnati unless AJ has a great training camp and Andy starts channeling David Klingler. Still, the competition is healthy and I like to think AJ pushed Andy to greatness in 2015.

I'm torn. I love AJ and the security he brings to the Cincinnati roster. When Andy went down in 2015 the Bengals darn near advanced in the playoffs with AJ under center. But Andy is better! I also want to see AJ get his dream shot of bring the starting quarterback on an NFL roster but I don't want the Bengals to lose the best insurance policy in the entire NFL either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was thinking outloud today
it's that time of year nothing going on in Bengaland.
this will never happen but
what if the Bengals traded Andy Dalton to a team like the Niners or Bears and in return got a
nice draft pick and said "AJ here's the keys .....get us there"
I think AJ might be the better big Game QB than Dalton
Dalton always seems to play really tight when the spotlight was on and AJ was the extreme opposite
just loose and had that great trait the great ones have .....no.fear
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 12:42 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Lance McAlister said a few weeks ago the Bengals were offered a 1st and 4th for A.J and they
turned it down
so along those thought lines a NFL front office felt A.J had all the traits of a franchise QB.
is this franchise so in love with Andy that they are afraid to see in a QB battle in training camp.that A.J
is ACTUALLY THE BETTER QB AND BE PREPARED TO ADVANCE THIS FRANCHISE past 1st rd losses ?
it looks like to me from the sample size from AJ over 2 seasons he cant do any worse than Dalton has.
I know it's apple oranges but Tom Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe years back and you know the rest of the story

A 1st and 4th for A.J.? I would have taken that in a second. Macaroni needs to be traded to a team that can play him. 
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
McCarron is a product of the tools around him. He cannot perform without perfect conditions. We already have a slightly better version of that so taking whatever we can for McCarron is critical. Get everything we can before other teams full realize what he is
Reply/Quote
"Fans" come from shadows.
Demand some scrub Quarterback.
Must be 'Bama fans.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Is McCarron a good backup? I think so. Could he be a serviceable starter over the long haul? Maybe...

Franchise QB? I seriously doubt it. One team offering a 2nd and 4th doesn't mean much. Look at Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, Brock Osweiler and countless other scrubs that teams overpaid for based on a small sample of solid games. Tbh, I'm starting to have my doubts that McCarron will be traded at all, and if he is, it might be for less than the one offer we've heard about. There's more hype around Garrappolo now, and you also have Romo, Cutler and a few other viable starting options available. That's not even counting the draft.

I do think Mac will get an opportunity somewhere, but I'd say it's far more likely he plays like Osweiler than Brady. Being along the ride for Alabama's championships means nothing when you can't read an NFL zone defense. As for Mac being a big game QB....he's 0-2 in big games at the NFL level. Terrible in the playoff game and terrible in the 2nd half and OT of the Broncos game...once they switched to zone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've only ever heard second and 4th
Reply/Quote
If someone in this organization turned down a first and a second rounder for McCarron they need to be beaten with heavy clubs and left bleeding in the moonlight  Rant
Reply/Quote
If Joe Flaco can win a championship then AJ Macaron can win one. The team around him has to be really good though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is McCarron a good backup? I think so. Could he be a serviceable starter over the long haul? Maybe...

Franchise QB? I seriously doubt it. One team offering a 2nd and 4th doesn't mean much. Look at Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, Brock Osweiler and countless other scrubs that teams overpaid for based on a small sample of solid games. Tbh, I'm starting to have my doubts that McCarron will be traded at all, and if he is, it might be for less than the one offer we've heard about. There's more hype around Garrappolo now, and you also have Romo, Cutler and a few other viable starting options available. That's not even counting the draft.

I do think Mac will get an opportunity somewhere, but I'd say it's far more likely he plays like Osweiler than Brady. Being along the ride for Alabama's championships means nothing when you can't read an NFL zone defense. As for Mac being a big game QB....he's 0-2 in big games at the NFL level. Terrible in the playoff game and terrible in the 2nd half and OT of the Broncos game...once they switched to zone.

McCarron is the darling of the anti-Andy people. I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone has made any real trade offers for him McAllister notwithstanding. And Shake you noted very correctly that as soon as defenses went to zone against him he looked horrible. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is McCarron a good backup? I think so. Could he be a serviceable starter over the long haul? Maybe...

Romo- Has a bad back and is 36 years old who would trade for them?
Garrappolo- might not be traded because Tom is 40 years old(Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him instead of Jimmy but that's a whole new discussion)
Cutler- I am not sure who would want him. He as been average throughout his whole career plus he isn't known to be the most charismatic QB in the NFL. I think he will be more in the backup QB market then starting.
AJ will have plenty of lookers and interest but I agree he won't be anything special.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:59 AM)J24 Wrote: Romo- Has a bad back and is 36 years old who would trade for them?
Garrappolo- might not be traded because Tom is 40 years old(Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him instead of Jimmy but that's a whole new discussion)
Cutler- I am not sure who would want him. He as been average throughout his whole career plus he isn't known to be the most charismatic QB in the NFL. I think he will be more in the backup QB market then starting.
AJ will have plenty of lookers and interest but I agree he won't be anything special.

I kind of think Belicheck is going to hold on to Garappolo and groom him to take over for Brady when the time comes. 
Reply/Quote
AJM would have been sacked 80 times behind that line. He much like Hill just doesn't fit here. I also agree we may have held onto him a year too long for maximum return.

Reply/Quote
When I look at Houston's dilemma of having to pay Osweiler one more year, and paying him a lot in that one year, AJM to the Texans makes a lot of sense. He is a potential long-term solution that could compete with Osweiler and could do it for next to nothing. Tom Savage has fooled lots of college teams that fall in love with his measurables, but he doesn't put it together on game day.

I wouldn't take anything less than the Texans first round pick, with the Bengals giving back a fourth, perhaps. I'm not sure I believe the OP unless it was Cleveland and they don't want to trade him within the division....which would still be stupid to have turned down because those are EARLY first and fourth rounders.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 12:42 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Lance McAlister said a few weeks ago the Bengals were offered a 1st and 4th for A.J and they
turned it down

seriously?  ...depends how long ago it was but even if they thought we still had a superbowl run in us that would have been too good to turn down surely.

I would argue from the sample size you can also argue that that McCarron would not do markedly better...and not certainly to the point where you would need to introduce change for change sake at the position.

I think with the deal we got Andy on we're pretty lucky and are set.  As long as he has the OLine fixed next year he'll be back around the 100 rating mark. That's not something I would want to give up for on an AJMc experiment

Unless you have a Rodgers, Brady, PManning who can pull it out whatever the persoonnel then every QB needs weapons around them to thrive....the most beneficial weapon of all being a good RB/game   ....like Bell for Steelers, or Elliot for Cowboys
Reply/Quote
If they were offered a 1st and a 4th for a player they drafted in the 5th round who has a mere 4 games of experience who after this upcoming season is going to leave via free agency, then I have to seriously question this teams goals and question whether or not it's even worth it anymore to watch.
Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron is a scrub.

Some team offered a 1st and a 4th my ass..
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
How many players on the Bengals would draw an offer of a 1st and a 4th? Would any of them?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't believe they were offered a first for AJ. Is there proof of this?

I realize Mike Brown has passed on some very good trades in the past, but there's no way anyone on the staff wouldn't have jumped all over a first for the backup AJ; thus everyone on staff swaying MB into making this trade. I just don't believe it.

I heard or read they were offered a second and a fourth. I can see them passing on that, but not a first.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote