Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A bigger sample size
In game #2 against Cleveland Drew Sample played 58% of the offensive snaps. It was the first time in his 11 NFL games that he had played more than half of the offensive snaps in a game.

In the last two games he has played more than 85% of the offensive snaps.

I realize that this increase is due mainly to Uzomah going down with injury, but the offense has looked better with Sample in there. I am sure he is not the only reason, but he certainly is not holding them back.

Sample is on pace to have 48 receptions which would be the most by a Bengal TE since Eifert had 52 five years ago. Only 5 TEs in Bengal history have had more than 48 receptions in a season (Dan Ross, Rodney Holeman, Tony McGee, Jermaine Gresham, Eifert)
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In game #2 against Cleveland Drew Sample played 58% of the offensive snaps.  It was the first time in his 11 NFL games that he had played more than half of the offensive snaps in a game.

In the last two games he has played more than 85% of the offensive snaps.

I realize that this increase is due mainly to Uzomah going down with injury, but the offense has looked better with Sample in there.  I am sure he is not the only reason, but he certainly is not holding them back.

Sample is on pace to have 48 receptions which would be the most by a Bengal TE since Eifert had 52 five years ago.  Only 5 TEs in Bengal history have had more than 48 receptions in a season (Dan Ross, Rodney Holeman, Tony McGee, Jermaine Gresham, Eifert)

I am liking the Sample pick now, nice thread. He is big and is running good routes, has great hands and can block.

This also has something to do with Burrow as he likes to throw to TE's and RB's and just is smart with his throws and hits the 
open guy. Doesn't take away from Sample though, think he can be really good if he stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am liking the Sample pick now, nice thread. He is big and is running good routes, has great hands and can block.

This also has something to do with Burrow as he likes to throw to TE's and RB's and just is smart with his throws and hits the 
open guy. Doesn't take away from Sample though, think he can be really good if he stays healthy.

WhoDey2 Which will force ZT and Callahan to use something (TE/RB) that has been foreign to the Bengals offense for years...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am liking the Sample pick now, nice thread. He is big and is running good routes, has great hands and can block.

I always liked him coming out of the draft, even if I felt like they reached for him a bit.  Feel bad for Uzo.  On the subject of TEs...we seem to throw Cethan Carter one 25 yard pass a year, and he catches it.  Should he get more opportunities?  He feels like the Rex Burkhead of TEs...valuable on STs, minimally used on the offense.  
Reply/Quote
Doesn't change the fact that he didn't fight for the TD and let a defender want it more while in the endzone.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I always liked him coming out of the draft, even if I felt like they reached for him a bit.  Feel bad for Uzo.  On the subject of TEs...we seem to throw Cethan Carter one 25 yard pass a year, and he catches it.  Should he get more opportunities?  He feels like the Rex Burkhead of TEs...valuable on STs, minimally used on the offense.  

Speaking of Cethan, he has lined up at FB quite and thrown quite a few GREAT blocks. He has been a solid, quiet contributor this season. 

Sample has also had his moments. He has had some highlights run blocking (he absolutely bulldozed Bosa on an early run play vs LA) as well as catching. The TE screens seem to work well. However, the disappointment is real with the two dropped touchdowns this past weekend. Those are plays that he has to make. I am seeing progress, though.
Reply/Quote
He needs to want the ball more when it’s in the air. Either that or get in the weight room.

I don’t think I liked or disliked the pick, it was a reach. Hope it yields better results than what happened Sunday
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doesn't change the fact that he didn't fight for the TD and let a defender want it more while in the endzone.

If was a freak play and Myles Jack got a lucky break, get over ittt
Reply/Quote
Sample is looking very solid and I'm glad we have him. He has made some nice catches for us, and his blocking is nice. This is practically his rookie season as well, since he was out a lot last season. The TD catch being ripped from him just is what it is. Just a heck of a play by the defender.

Those are good numbers, kudos to fredtoast for posting them!
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 07:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If was a freak play and Myles Jack got a lucky break, get over ittt

Spot on. Myles Jack is a very physical player and he did his job: He picked Drew Sample’s pocket clean. I suspect Drew will learn from this!
Reply/Quote
I've gotta admit I was pretty miffed at Sample over that weak effort on the TD pass. But I'm willing to let it go for now. I have high hopes for Sample still. I can see him being a regular contributor on this team.
Reply/Quote
I'm really like what I have been seeing from Drew Sample. He is one of the better blockers on the team and is showing some savvy route running. He just needs to come down with those balls in the endzone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doesn't change the fact that he didn't fight for the TD and let a defender want it more while in the endzone.

Apparently, a defender no longer has to turn his head to look for the ball because Jack didn't look back at all and never even saw the ball until it hit Sample in the face mask.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 07:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm really like what I have been seeing from Drew Sample. He is one of the better blockers on the team and is showing some savvy route running. He just needs to come down with those balls in the endzone.

Have to think with more reps and experience will come a better job of shielding the defender away from the ball and securing it.

Still, have to give credit to Jack on that play, was an amazing play by a defender. Hopefully our LB's our watching that clip.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
He has shown.the ability.to catch the ball tuck
And get upfield for YAC.
But this team is in dire need of a legit bonafide
redzone target. Uzomah is done for the year.
Green is still trying to find himself.
Higgins and Boyd so far have been the only consistant red zone threats. But this offense needs more guys to step up.
Sample needs to simply make that play when his number is called
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 07:53 PM)McC Wrote: Apparently, a defender no longer has to turn his head to look for the ball because Jack didn't look back at all and never even saw the ball until it hit Sample in the face mask.

Faceguarding isn't in the rulebook anymore.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I see what you did with that thread title. 

[Image: i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Kinda reminds me of Gresham.. never clutch when it counted. Productive but never clutch. while at it, put Randy in this category too.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Kinda reminds me of Gresham..  never clutch when it counted. Productive but never clutch. while at it, put Randy in this category too.

So you are going to say Sample is not clutch over a couple of hard catches that he didn't come down with already eh?

Not ready to write that in stone just yet Bengalitis... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am liking the Sample pick now, nice thread. He is big and is running good routes, has great hands and can block.

Still think DK Metcalf would've looked wonderful in stripes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote