Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little perspective
The 1981 6-0 Bengals went to New Orleans to play a terrible Saints team and lost. So we got that going for us.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The one thing I do not like in this game is when one team makes a big play then runs to the endzone to pose for pictures..Win, lose or draw.. It's in poor taste and today it was in especially poor taste.. They got their asses handed to them by backups.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The 1981 6-0 Bengals went to New Orleans to play a terrible Saints team and lost. So we got that going for us.

Bengals were 5-2 when they lost to the Saints, but yes, it is similar to what happened today. 
Reply/Quote
One loss--even one like this-doesn't define a season. But what they do with it from here on out will. Past Bengal teams--even good ones--would fold and play poorly for the next few games. We'll find out what they're made of & how they'll respond to this self-inflicted debacle next week. That's particularly true for the coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
We can only hope this humbled the whole team to the point that they take every game seriously and focus.

Now the coaches? Hmmm. We'll see if they take this thing and work on themselves.

Hopefully Carman is okay. I'm worried when he was grabbing at his back with his surgery history.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:52 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Bengals were 5-2 when they lost to the Saints, but yes, it is similar to what happened today. 

Well dammit. Funny what memory does
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: The one thing I do not like in this game is when one team makes a big play then runs to the endzone to pose for pictures..Win, lose or draw.. It's in poor taste and today it was in especially poor taste.. They got their asses handed to them by backups.

The group picture taking thing is an NFL idea and it's dumb as shit.

As a fan I'd rather see them get rid of these ticky-tack taunting calls.

Blatant ones where someone is walking on or standing over someone.  Yeah, of course call those.

Same as that bullshit helmet call against our player when he was low and the offense player lowered his head into him!

Get rid of that crap!!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 07:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: We can only hope this humbled the whole team to the point that they take every game seriously and focus.

Now the coaches? Hmmm. We'll see if they take this thing and work on themselves.

Hopefully Carman is okay. I'm worried when he was grabbing at his back with his surgery history.

Definitely concerning. I assume Trey Hill will get the start next week. When is the earliest D’Ante Smith or XSF could return?

Reply/Quote
Nobody should be surprised , that’s what they do. Disappoint fans
Reply/Quote
It's my fault. This morning, I put the little styrofoam ball wearing a Bengal's helmet back on my antenna after taking if off of there sometime around the time Joe's knee got broken in half last year. So, I jinxed them.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 07:16 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: It's my fault. This morning, I put the little styrofoam ball wearing a Bengal's helmet back on my antenna after taking if off of there sometime around the time Joe's knee got broken in half last year. So, I jinxed them.

[Image: you-blew-it-billy-madison.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m just mad they ruined my favorite holiday.

Would think the Bengals would own this holiday too since they sport Halloween colors already

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 07:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would think the Bengals would own this holiday too since they sport Halloween colors already

We turned into pumpkins.

Reply/Quote
The NFL is weird. The worst offense in the league puts up 500 yards sometimes.

I have no idea why things were so brutal on defense today, but they just were. I'm going to reserve final judgment on this game until I can see what happens over the next week or two. Maybe Mike White is just a lot better than he was expected to be. It's very easy to get mad about a perceived "no name QB" tearing the defense to shreds, but the guy did legitimately make a ton of good decisions and great throws, especially in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We turned into pumpkins.

Unfortunately true and then the Jets carved us into Jack O Laterns 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m just mad they ruined my favorite holiday.

It's not ruined.  It's just not the greatest Fund A Stripper day ever.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hope they enjoy coming home and having PBS filled with more Browns fans than Bengal fans - any chance they had of really getting their fans to support them went up in smoke.

If anything remotely similar to this takes place, then it is completely the failure of the fanbase.

It won't though.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The nicest take I have is this: plenty of good teams have lost to some QB who came out of nowhere. There wasn't much tape on this White guy, and he looks pretty good.

This loss was definitely on the coaches though. They need to get back in the lab and have these guys better prepared next week.

This season is still an open book. We could finish anywhere between 14-3 and 5-12. We as fans like to re-write the narrative every week, but in truth we won't know the whole story with this team until the book is finished.

I guarantee you Mike White never has a game close to this and will be on the bench in 2 weeks to never be heard of again.. It's just the Bungles , Bungaling...
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 08:01 PM)Tony Wrote: I guarantee you Mike White never has a game close to this and will be on the bench in 2 weeks to never be heard of again.. It's just the Bungles , Bungaling...

Perhaps not. I'd even say probably not.

But that doesn't prove me wrong about their not being much tape on this guy.

I have a hard time defending the way we uh...defended White today though. Terrible game plan, and we made no adjustments.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Perhaps not. I'd even say probably not.

But that doesn't prove me wrong about their not being much tape on this guy.

I have a hard time defending the way we uh...defended White today though. Terrible game plan, and we made no adjustments.

There was absolutely no reason for them to leave the underneath routes so unprotected.

It's like they were worried about deep passes???

Plus the execution of tackling sucked on top of that.
Reply/Quote