Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AD Benched. Finley to Start
I’m a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals first and foremost and winning is what matters, period. Will the Bengals win with Ryan Finley? Probably not — but I hope they do. I hope Ryan Finley is everything all the Andy Dalton haters think he is and more.

Here is the issue: Ryan will be given the same playbook. It won’t be changed to leverage his strengths and every fan will expect something new and different.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals first and foremost and winning is what matters, period.  Will the Bengals win with Ryan Finley?  Probably not — but I hope they do.  I hope Ryan Finley is everything all the Andy Dalton haters think he is and more.

Here is the issue:  Ryan will be given the same playbook.  It won’t be changed to leverage his strengths and every fan will expect something new and different.

Right.  It's the same shit, but now with added inexperience on top.

Call me pessimistic but I don't expect Finley to fair well here.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Right.  It's the same shit, but now with added inexperience on top.

And if he doesn’t he doesn’t. What are we gonna do, go winless or something...

I just want Dalton’s money off the books. They should cut him in the offseason no matter what. If Finley is decent and can be a bridge gap until we draft a franchise QB, great, or he sucks and we grab one at 1 or 2. Either way Dalton’s contract frees up some money for a decent FA LB or RT/OG.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Right.  It's the same shit, but now with added inexperience on top.

The only hope is that Dalton was drastically messing up. Honestly...Dalton's stats look decent so I doubt that's the case.
Reply/Quote
[Image: XNL7wowz_400x400.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And if he doesn’t he doesn’t. What are we gonna do, go winless or something...

I just want Dalton’s money off the books. They should cut him in the offseason no matter what. If Finley is decent and can be a bridge gap until we draft a franchise QB, great, or he sucks and we grab one at 1 or 2. Either way Dalton’s contract frees up some money for a decent FA LB or RT/OG.

Again, I don't care if Dalton rides the bench but worst case ZT is a total crap coach and Dalton was actually somewhat masking the fact because he's an average QB.  I guess then we can say if Finley flops the Bengals go 0-16 and draft a QB high but that guy could be a bust.  Of course, that's easy to just assume.

I'll just say I'm not convinced we are out of the woods as far as removing Dalton from under center for good.  Like I said in 2014 the Bears benched Jay Cutler for the first time in his career and he was there for another 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Finley will lead the league in passing yards?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
The Bengals’ pass block win rate of 39 percent is the worst since it started being tracked in 2017 (ESPN metric powered by NFL Next Gen Stats).
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Finley will lead the league in passing yards?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm beyond fine with something different, but I also realize that Finley being ZT's guy isn't exactly something that bodes well when you consider how hard everyone else he endorsed has flopped.  So far this year we've gone all-in on replacing a lot of people who were average and stale with young guys who were in way over their heads....I don't see how Finley is going to be the single case that is going to work, but it should be interesting.

Our coaching staff is inexperienced and in way over their heads and we are 0-8 so tossing an inexperienced 4th round rookie QB into the fire shouldn't theoretically work.  I think I can be optimistic about it while simultaneously pointing out that tossing a rookie late round pick QB into a lousy situation is straight outta the Cleveland Browns' playbook.

Oof!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Finley will lead the league in passing yards?

Here come the hot takes!

Dalton has had 9 years. To suggest it’s unfair to bench him at this point is ridiculous.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm beyond fine with something different, but I also realize that Finley being ZT's guy isn't exactly something that bodes well when you consider how hard everyone else he endorsed has flopped.  So far this year we've gone all-in on replacing a lot of people who were average and stale with young guys who were in way over their heads....I don't see how Finley is going to be the single case that is going to work, but it should be interesting.

Our coaching staff is inexperienced and in way over their heads and we are 0-8 so tossing an inexperienced 4th round rookie QB into the fire shouldn't theoretically work.  I think I can be optimistic about it while simultaneously pointing out that tossing a rookie late round pick QB into a lousy situation is straight outta the Cleveland Browns' playbook.

Oof!

Yes. You know when Green came back..and Glenn...I feel like we'd win 2-3 games and mess up the 1st pick.

With Finley...our chances of going 0-16 have increased. Of course, he could play well too.
Reply/Quote
Just more reasons to bet on Baltimore. Everybody will soon find there are many problems to Bengals than Dalton. So Finley gets to QB this awful team against Ravens. He will find out how the Christians felt thrown to the lions. Gruden tried 3 QBs before he got fired in DC this year. I'm not saying Dalton has played well, but he looks shell shocked from all the hits, and when the Ravens knock Finley onto Finley Street he will find out. Being starting QB for this team is no golden opportunity.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dalton was a Good QB who did a lot for the Bengals but his time is done. I hope Finley turns this team around and gets them back to greatness.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 02:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the last straw was when Erickson was wide open in the 4th q. And Andy underthrew him just enough to make
Erickson adjust and allowing the CB to make a touh down saving tackle

If you look at the video, Dalton had to throw the ball about 48 yards through the air just to get it to Erickson there. If you wanted to lead Erickson on that throw so he never had to slow down, it needed to travel about 55 yards through the air while still maintaining speed. You're not going to have too many QBs in the league able to do that. There's a reason why team don't try a 70 yard hail mary.

The problem on that play was that because the OL immediately got pushed back 7 yards from the LoS, Dalton is throwing that ball from 8 yards behind the LoS. Closer to the LoS, and it'd still have enough on it for the TD. 

- - - - - - -

Anyway, as to the whole point of the thread, it looks like it is finally time to see what Finley can do. Been hearing about him nonstop for 8 weeks now from some posters, and I am interested to see what he can do. Since there's a lot of problems on this team, I can't help but think the kid is going to get killed, though. We might be seeing Dwayne Haskins pt2 with a rookie QB who is nowhere near ready gets thrown onto the field surrounded by a crap team.

I do think it's a bit shitty to announce that Dalton is benched on his Birthday, though. Couldn't have waited a day? Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This is a few weeks late should of benched dalton sooner to salvage the season. Now we have no shot at competing for playoffs unless you go 8-8 or something..

For the finley doubters obviously you dont know nothing about QB play. Ryan finley is a breathe of fresh air and complete opposite of dalton. Hes accurate, good pocket movement, throws very low picks( he has the 2nd record in college next to Russell wilson with passes attempted without a pick), smart and knows where to go with the ball ,poised,pocket presence. All things dalton isnt!! Ty lord I dont have to watch dalton anymore hopefully on my team. Watch and learn people watch and learn how a real qb plays.
Reply/Quote
The Dalton gang shot out of the saddle!!!!! The gang will now commence to being the whiners and criers they claim they hate so much with comments like "See Andy was the forth best QB in the league when they benched him" or they will continue to skew stats to show how much better than Finley Andy is. But the main fact is that Andy had nine years to prove himself and failed. Whether its Finley , Dolegala or someone who isn't even on the roster yet it was way past time for the change.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I do think it's a bit shitty to announce that Dalton is benched on his Birthday, though. Couldn't have waited a day? Lol

I have no doubt in my mind that Troy is either a sociopath or possesses the emotional intelligence of a 4 year old.  
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you look at the video, Dalton had to throw the ball about 48 yards through the air just to get it to Erickson there. If you wanted to lead Erickson on that throw so he never had to slow down, it needed to travel about 55 yards through the air while still maintaining speed. You're not going to have too many QBs in the league able to do that. There's a reason why team don't try a 70 yard hail mary.

The problem on that play was that because the OL immediately got pushed back 7 yards from the LoS, Dalton is throwing that ball from 8 yards behind the LoS. Closer to the LoS, and it'd still have enough on it for the TD. 

- - - - - - -

Anyway, as to the whole point of the thread, it looks like it is finally time to see what Finley can do. Been hearing about him nonstop for 8 weeks now from some posters, and I am interested to see what he can do. Since there's a lot of problems on this team, I can't help but think the kid is going to get killed, though. We might be seeing Dwayne Haskins pt2 with a rookie QB who is nowhere near ready gets thrown onto the field surrounded by a crap team.

I do think it's a bit shitty to announce that Dalton is benched on his Birthday, though. Couldn't have waited a day? Lol

It's amazing everyone but the front office and coaching staff can see this is the problem...
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Andy won me over when he first came to the Bengals. His first five years were good, but then he started getting beat up too much. It's kind of sad really.

Could he re-emerge if the Bengals got it together and put a decent team on the field around him? Probably not. It might be best for him if he becomes a backup for someone like one of the Texas teams while the Bengals flounder around in 1990s style futility and get rumored to be moved to Columbus, San Antonio, St. Louis or one of the other cities desperate for an NFL team.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:58 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: It's amazing everyone but the front office and coaching staff can see this is the problem...

For sure

Every Bengal fan I know including many not on here said Bobby Hart had to go. Bengals sign him back up. He's tied for 2nd in the league with 9 penalties ! Just another one of those not so little things that add up to L's

Makes no sense
Reply/Quote