Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
AJ Green
(01-18-2022, 02:58 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Didn't catch the game, but how on earth did this guy get 0 stats in tonight's game? I can't think of any in-game ciricumstances excusing that.

Kliff Kingsbury isn't a scrub. Neither is Kyler. And with Hopkins out that should theoretically open AJ Green up more.

In between this and his flop against GB, I'm wondering if it's time for him to hang it up. Maybe we could make him a Bengal-for-a-day or some kind of instructor/coach.

Jalen Ramsey was on Green most of the time too, IIRC.
He's had a really good year this year (All Pro, Pro Bowl), arguably the league's top CB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:30 PM)Tony Wrote: Who cares?? No one is out there saying AJ is a good wr anymore. He's been done for 4 years now..

Who cares about ACTUAL PRODUCTION???

Are you serious?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who cares about ACTUAL PRODUCTION???

Are you serious?

Where did that get the Cardinals and AJ? 1 and done like he always did here, disappear in big games. It took all of 1 season for Chase to eclipse anything AJ has ever done here...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:58 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Didn't catch the game, but how on earth did this guy get 0 stats in tonight's game? I can't think of any in-game ciricumstances excusing that.

Kliff Kingsbury isn't a scrub. Neither is Kyler. And with Hopkins out that should theoretically open AJ Green up more.

In between this and his flop against GB, I'm wondering if it's time for him to hang it up. Maybe we could make him a Bengal-for-a-day or some kind of instructor/coach.

Kyler Murray was really bad. I know there was one pass that Green caught that was overturned on replay and there were a couple others thrown his way that he couldn't get to. 

With DH being out, you'd think they would have targeted him a lot more. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:42 PM)Tony Wrote: Where did that get the Cardinals and AJ? 

So Chandler Jones and Budda Baker are also "done" and should retire because the Cards lost last night.

My what brilliant analysis.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So did you all miss this post?

Yards per target is a solid way of looking at a receivers production. So is EPA. Green was 44th out of 145 receiver in EPA per target. Anyone saying that Green is awful is off the mark. He isn't THE A.J. Green anymore, but he is still good enough. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yards per target is a solid way of looking at a receivers production. So is EPA. Green was 44th out of 145 receiver in EPA per target. Anyone saying that Green is awful is off the mark. He isn't THE A.J. Green anymore, but he is still good enough. 

Yup, he's not peak AJ Green but he's still good. He's not bad nor does the stat mean he's elite. He's somewhere in between. Again, it's good someone likes you brings rationale perspective to the numbers or emotional takes from the ole eye-test us fans often like to use w hen discussing a player.
Reply/Quote
1.) AJ is not washed

2.) I was disappointed to not see him win a playoff game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:05 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) AJ is not washed

2.) I was disappointed to not see him win a playoff game.

That Bengals fan guy with the long orange beard said that AJ texted Boyd and Higgins after the playoff win to congratulate them and wish he was part of it..
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:28 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Kyler's ankle isn't right same thing happened in 2020. With Hopkins out AJ was asked to be the number 1 he clearly can't be that guy anymore. I still like Chase over prime AJ. I'd take prime AJ over Chad though. Chase is like a combination of Terrel Owens and Jerry Rice. Its a shame AJ never had a QB like Burrow in his prime Dalton held AJ back a bit. He was big time in getting us the lead VS Steelers in playoff game.

I'd take Chad over AJ 6 days a week and 3 times on Sunday.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've always liked and respected AJ, but for reasons I could never quite put my finger on I've always had a nagging doubt about him come crunch time. Some players can really shine when the bright lights are on them and some don't. I don't believe it to be intentional just happenstance..  

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I wanted to respond to this, because it's sort of a thought that I had last night while watching the game.  AJ is wonderful, and I have one of his color-rush Bengals jerseys.  A favorite of mine for years, and nothing but insane respect for what he did for the franchise.

That said, after seeing Burrow and Chase and how they almost seem "hangry" on the field wanting to dominate in critical moments - it seemed such a stark difference from what my mind recalls about AJ in similar key moments.  That pass last night where he got hit (and subsequently dropped the ball) just sort of brought back memories of a sort of lackadaisical manner that I remember seeing out of him at times.  His shoulders seem to drop, and he never seemed to have a sort of killer instinct. Fumbles or drops in key moments that could've turned the tide of huge (even playoff) games.  That play last night was another example, and that catch could've really brought some momentum for Arizona when they badly needed it.

I think that some guys have that and some don't, but it's never anything I would've ever recognized if we didn't have guys on the team now that just seem...different. 

Not sure if any of that is making sense, but it popped in my head last night during that incomplete pass. Either way I'm bummed that he wasn't able to get a win.  The guy deserves one.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:50 PM)Roland Wrote: Talking specifically about playoff performances.  Dalton had 3 INTs, a fumble, and a 51.4 rating in his first playoff appearance.  His others weren't much better.

Dalton threw for double the yards Kyler did. Not saying Dalton wasn't bad. He was awful. Kyler was worse. You'd almost think Marvin Lewis was coaching the Cardinals. I mean, he IS in Arizona, so...

(01-18-2022, 01:09 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: AJ Green's 5 playoff games:
43 targets
18 receptions
232 yards
1 touchdown

Crazy how much he disappeared in the big games. 42% catch percentage? That's painful.

Yet people only talk about Dalton, like he was alone in playoff struggles. Like Kitna, Palmer and McCarron didn't suck. Like Chad, AJ, Geno, Dunlap, etc etc didn't disappear.

The problem was ALWAYS Marvin. Our star players all played exactly as they did in reg season last Saturday. If Marv was our coach, they all would've turtled up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton threw for double the yards Kyler did. Not saying Dalton wasn't bad. He was awful. Kyler was worse. You'd almost think Marvin Lewis was coaching the Cardinals. I mean, he IS in Arizona, so...

Yet people only talk about Dalton, like he was alone in playoff struggles. Like Kitna, Palmer and McCarron didn't suck. Like Chad, AJ, Geno, Dunlap, etc etc didn't disappear.

The problem was ALWAYS Marvin. Our star players all played exactly as they did in reg season last Saturday. If Marv was our coach, they all would've turtled up.

Are you suggesting the motivational t-shirts didn’t work?
Reply/Quote
I wanted the Rams to win, but I was really hoping AJ would have a good game.

That offense looks like shit with out Deandre Hopkins.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:55 PM)Mightymet02 Wrote: Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I wanted to respond to this, because it's sort of a thought that I had last night while watching the game.  AJ is wonderful, and I have one of his color-rush Bengals jerseys.  A favorite of mine for years, and nothing but insane respect for what he did for the franchise.

That said, after seeing Burrow and Chase and how they almost seem "hangry" on the field wanting to dominate in critical moments - it seemed such a stark difference from what my mind recalls about AJ in similar key moments.  That pass last night where he got hit (and subsequently dropped the ball) just sort of brought back memories of a sort of lackadaisical manner that I remember seeing out of him at times.  His shoulders seem to drop, and he never seemed to have a sort of killer instinct. Fumbles or drops in key moments that could've turned the tide of huge (even playoff) games.  That play last night was another example, and that catch could've really brought some momentum for Arizona when they badly needed it.

I think that some guys have that and some don't, but it's never anything I would've ever recognized if we didn't have guys on the team now that just seem...different. 

Not sure if any of that is making sense, but it popped in my head last night during that incomplete pass. Either way I'm bummed that he wasn't able to get a win.  The guy deserves one.

Him and Andy didn't have that competitive edge that the great ones have. Burrow has it. Brady has it. Jordan had it. Kobe had it. 

It's really as simple as that. When someone asks me my opinion of Dalton I always say "a slightly above average quarterback who played significantly below average in big games". 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I only watched some of the first half. Murray looked like he got frustrated early and started to lose his composure. So when I checked the score when I got up today it didn't surprise me.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

He's hella washed, had some drops, looks slow. Hang em up AJ
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL another one of you Kingsbury genitalia-riders.

How is he not a scrub? A losing all-time record in college, a .500 record in the pros, a dynamic QB that he (seemingly) can't use properly, despite having 3 years to build his team, with his guys and surround the team with weapons, etc. What does he have to show for it? An embarrassing display in the playoffs and a ROY for his QB. That's it.

Bash Zac for the 1st two years all you want, but he has his team winning divisions and winning a first playoff game for the franchise in 31 years, plus his culture/attitude/spirit is 100% that of the pompous Kingsbury.

I was going to post the two threads where people gave me shit for saying he wasn't anything special and how the posters in those threads were also riding his ****. When I posted numbers and facts, I was called an, "angry little man," or something and the Zac bashing commenced. AFAIK, those posters haven't been on the board in months, since we started having success.

Kingsbury may be a great developer of QBs and I think he has a solid career ahead of him as a QB coach/passing game coordinator, but he's shown nothing in great play design (as previously-mentioned, I watch a ton of the Cards), the offense gains a lot of yards, but scored less points than the Bengals and ran almost 100 more plays on the year, with a much-better oline.

As many have written, last night's game looked like a Marv-esque game, with stupid decisions, bad QB play and the looks of being thoroughly out-coached.

Holy hell. Show me on the doll where he touched you. If you think saying he's "not a scrub" is riding his dick, then you've had a raging hate boner lasting longer than four hours.

The guy has coached a team that has progressively gotten better each year, The only reason he's .500 is because hhis Ls are lopsided in his first two years.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL

Paid for by college donators, no doubt.

I know you were impressed with his flex, but the con of him showing off the house is that he's pompous.

But yeah, I meant more, "what has he shown for it in the league?" He wouldn't have to work another day in his life and he can retire to that house. Good for him.

We're talking a guy that worked his way up the ranks, only to get his dream job and being catapulted into the NFL. I'd probably be a little eager to show off my living arrangements too.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 04:14 AM)Roland Wrote: Green had a target in the first series on a long pass.  Caught but out of bounds.  Didn't look like he put a lot of effort into staying in.   Higgins would have high pointed it and possibly stayed in.

His second target was mid second quarter.  He made a 22 yard catch, the safety came up and hit him in the shoulder, and  he dropped it out of bounds.  Ruled a catch and fumble, overturned to incomplete.  Should have been a catch although Green is noted as going out hurt.  

He had one more target incomplete in the fourth quarter.   With the injury noted I'll be interested to see how many snaps he played.  

Like last year, it just looked like the effort is not there.  In the past he looked effortless and that was amazing because he still made plays.  Now, it just looks like he's not trying very hard.

Kyler Murray was just abysmal.  Sorry to say, but his playoff performance was Dalton-like.  I wonder if it will ruin him.
It looks like AJ is getting old man.  That's it, there's nothing else to it.  
And yea, he aint really "old" but reading comments like this makes me think that folks don't realize that being able to smash a burrito from the food truck in the parking lot and make it back to your cubicle inside of 30 minutes.....it's cool and all...but it ain't the same as getting open and then making spectacular receptions vs. nfl dbs.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote