Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green: Lets Face the Truth
AJ Green is one of my all time favorite Bengals but we need to look soberly at his situation.

1. The franchise tag was a mistake.
2. He’s still injured from last year’s training camp. It’s so obvious everyone can see it.
3. Playing him at less than 100% isn’t smart.
4. It’s ridiculous to expect him to play like his old self given (2) and (3).
5. He needs to sit.

It was painful to type that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He’s done. At least here.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
$18M for him to be a casual observer..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: AJ Green is one of my all time favorite Bengals but we need to look soberly at his situation.

1. The franchise tag was a mistake.
2. He’s still injured from last year’s training camp.  It’s so obvious everyone can see it.
3. Playing him at less than 100% isn’t smart.
4. It’s ridiculous to expect him to play like his old self given (2) and (3).
5. He needs to sit.

It was painful to type that.

Agree about it hurting. I just made a post in the Gameday section about him talent not being there anymore, but I still love what he's been for the Bengals. Just think we probably held on too long, and we will pay for it in cap. I do hope he gets traded to a team with potential and he gets his chance at a deep run... but I do hope for our sake we do trade him and get SOMETHING.
Reply/Quote
As I've said he was Andy's WR, Tee will be Joe's. WTS, there's worse #3 WRs in the league.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: $18M for him to be a casual observer..

Man, it's tough to watch what AJ has become this year...a shell of what he used to be. 
Reply/Quote
I put some of the blame on Zac Taylor for this one. Marlon Humphrey followed Boyd in the slot and Marcus Peters followed Tee Higgins. Taylor could have used AJ in the slot against the Ravens 3rd and 4th corner but didnt.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I was facing the truth last October.

Pure insanity to make a 32yr old receiver, who had missed almost 2 years of football, the 2nd highest paid player in the league at his position.

It's moves like these that should make 100% of Bengals fans know that, as long as we have the Brown family involved in football decisons, we have no chance of real success.

What an unforvigable waste of money.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I've said he was Andy's WR, Tee will be Joe's. WTS, there's worse #3 WRs in the league.

The problem is, 5 games in, AJ is still struggling big time in the offense. As he said himself, he's having issues adapting and it's showing in his play. When you factor in that he looks slow/sluggish as hell and hasn't made the catches when he's had the opportunities, it's become an unfortunate waste of 18m. 
Reply/Quote
Never dreamed it would be this bad. Rusty yea, but I thought he could be a safety blanket for Joe somewhat . Not sure about that happening now.

Hope he proves me wrong.
Reply/Quote
This to me is unacceptable from someone making that kind of salary. Don’t know if he was truly hurt or benched but if the latter it was deserved. Hell media already has an article on it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/what-was-aj-green-doing-during-this-interception-185259863.html
Reply/Quote
Seems like he's been hurt in some way or another since last summer. Even when he's healthy, he's not. He's slow to get up when he gets hit, and he hasn't really been hit a lot. Not being able to get out there, voluntarily or not, in a non-contact training camp period was the first sign that he wasn't going to be able to hack it.

I won't kill the team for franchising him. I'm thankful that he's not here on a 4-year 60 mil deal, because it's not all that crazy to think that could have happened. They probably thought that a vet like Green would be of some help to a rookie qb, which isn't a completely moronic idea.

It's time to finish the job and jettison contracts for Green-Dalton era stars that aren't healthy or getting it done. They could take the 40 mil they'd save letting go of Green, Ross, Atkins, and Dunlap and sign 2 or 3 effective players. It's never easy to see literal all-time team greats leave, but you have to make a business decision at some point. I know AJ did today on that interception.
Reply/Quote
With Marlon Humphrey following Boyd Zac should have put him on the boundary and let him run some clear out routes. The Bengals coaching staff did not create good matchups on their hot routes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: $18M for him to be a casual observer..

Hindsight is 20/20. At least we didn't invest in a multi-year. We need speed at WR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I was facing the truth last October.

Pure insanity to make a 32yr old receiver, who had missed almost 2 years of football, the 2nd highest paid player in the league at his position.

It's moves like these that should make 100% of Bengals fans know that, as long as we have the Brown family involved in football decisons, we have no chance of real success.

What an unforvigable waste of money.

The guy is done.  It's pretty obvious that he knew he was done last year.  He was just looking to put another big pay day into the AJ Green retirement fund.  Give him credit, though, he played the fans and the FO good enough to get an extra $18 mil.  It's obvious he doesn't even really care after running away from the tackle on that pick.
Reply/Quote
He did fool a lot of us though when he said he believes he has a couple more years of high-level performance.
Reply/Quote
I lost a lot of money today being a homer and thinking AJ would be back to his old self as a Ravens killer..... Damn it
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:36 PM)iLLuSi0nz Wrote: This to me is unacceptable from someone making that kind of salary. Don’t know if he was truly hurt or benched but if the latter it was deserved. Hell media already has an article on it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/what-was-aj-green-doing-during-this-interception-185259863.html

He was doing what he's done best since last year.  Looking out for AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
We could be the Falcons who gave Julio 64 million guaranteed and his legs are about to fall off.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 05:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: He was doing what he's done best since last year.  Looking out for AJ Green.

Kinda looked like he was looking for someone to block for Peters on that play lol
Reply/Quote