Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ Green is soft
(12-05-2017, 11:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: This thread is funny.

He had 2 TDS lol

He did his job
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a sense it is laughable to blame our best players...but Green did have some drops that would have helped us win. I don't think he's above reproach.

Sure he is, He didn't blow the 17 point lead and had another touchdown brought back by penalty. To act like a guy who should have had 3 touchdowns and over 125 yards was to blame at all truly is laughable. I mean you can take the cliche everyone had a role in it, but I am looking squarely at Dre and his two long PI calls and additional blown coverages.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sure he is, He didn't blow the 17 point lead and had another touchdown brought back by penalty. To act like a guy who should have had 3 touchdowns and over 125 yards was to blame at all truly is laughable. I mean you can take the cliche everyone had a role in it, but I am looking squarely at Dre and his two long PI calls and additional blown coverages.

Good point.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burfict is also elite. He’s a perennial Pro Bowler if he plays on a marquee team. Easily one of the best LBs in the league.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burfict is elite. He’s a perennial Pro Bowler if he plays on a marquee team. Easily on ode the best LBs in the league.

I can't agree with that. Yes, he's great, but the penalties, dumbass extracurriculars, and suspensions prevent him from being elite in my mind.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sure he is, He didn't blow the 17 point lead and had another touchdown brought back by penalty. To act like a guy who should have had 3 touchdowns and over 125 yards was to blame at all truly is laughable. I mean you can take the cliche everyone had a role in it, but I am looking squarely at Dre and his two long PI calls and additional blown coverages.

Let's not forget the dynamic duo that was playing two hand touch with Bell, in a game of tackle football...

Talk about putting the momentum right into the hands of the enemy.  "I know we're supposed to tackle, but we'll just touch him, and hope he steps out of bounds"

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget the dynamic duo that was playing two hand touch with Bell, in a game of tackle football...

Talk about putting the momentum right into the hands of the enemy.  "I know we're supposed to tackle, but we'll just touch him, and hope he steps out of bounds"

Yep, that was a big issue too.
Reply/Quote
If we want to attack one of our "stars" it should probably be Geno.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yep, that was a big issue too.

That was part of the basis for my mini-rant on the previous page.  Too many Bengals made too many mistakes, to even think about pinning the blame for loss on just one of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He had a couple drops.

While I won't call him soft...he definitely disappeared in the 2nd half except on the long TD that was called back.

The whole offense disappeared in the 2nd half. That's not just an AJ Green issue. At this point, it's a Marvin Lewis issue. The Bengals 2nd half adjustments ONCE AGAIN = not trying to score and playing defense to win. That doesn't work with 2017 rules and with THAT officiating crew.

He sat on that 17 point lead like it was an egg he was hoping to hatch into a win.

2nd half had virtually nothing down the field other than that play to AJ. Kroft and Uzomah were doing well. Virtually nothing (1 or two plays) in the 2nd half to them. The Steelers didn't take everything away. That's impossible. The Bengals changed their approach and stopped doing what was working.
Reply/Quote
I can't call Green elite. I'm sorry, but elite receivers don't drop passes that hit you square in both hands in the 4th QTR on an all-important drive. There's no excuse for that.

He's still great, but he's just not elite.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I can't call Green elite. I'm sorry, but elite receivers don't drop passes that hit you square in both hands in the 4th QTR on an all-important drive. There's no excuse for that.

Oh please. You make more excuses for Dalton than almost anyone on this board, and you’re going to jump on AJ Green for dropping a ball in the rain?

Anyone that watches the NFL (including outside Cincy) will put Green as a top 5 WR. That’s elite.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I can't call Green elite. I'm sorry, but elite receivers don't drop passes that hit you square in both hands in the 4th QTR on an all-important drive. There's no excuse for that.

Brown dropped a 3rd down ball last night on a big drive, now they won so no one cares but it happened. See Julio Jones dropping a wide open TD three weeks ago that became the joke for the week. The idea that "elite" guys don't drop balls is simply not true.

For perspective AJ has been credited with 1 drop this year along with 1 drop for Brown and 5 for Julio.
Reply/Quote

AJ Green has 1 drop on 106 targets this season.

If you need to do better than that to be considered "Elite", then I don't know what to say.

Julio Jones has 5 drops on 107 targets
Mike Evans...1 on 102
Dez Bryant...2 on 109 
TY Hilton...2 on 80
Odell Beckham Jr....4 on 41!!!!

Antonio Brown is the only "elite" receiver performing better in this area.....1 drop on 141 targets.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Brown dropped a 3rd down ball last night on a big drive, now they won so no one cares but it happened. See Julio Jones dropping a wide open TD three weeks ago that became the joke for the week. The idea that "elite" guys don't drop balls is simply not true.

For perspective AJ has been credited with 1 drop this year along with 1 drop for Brown and 5 for Julio.

(12-05-2017, 12:53 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: AJ Green has 1 drop on 106 targets this season.

If you need to do better than that to be considered "Elite", then I don't know what to say.

Julio Jones has 5 drops on 107 targets
Mike Evans...1 on 102
Dez Bryant...2 on 109 
TY Hilton...2 on 80
Odell Beckham Jr....4 on 41!!!!

Antonio Brown is the only "elite" receiver performing better in this area.....1 drop on 141 targets.

It's not about the drop. It's about WHEN it occurred.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:07 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: AJ Green finished with 7 catches for 77 yards and 2 TDs, with another 60+ yard TD catch called back on a REALLY iffy call.

Oh, he also had one drop.

Soft.

Nonsense.

This! 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. You make more excuses for Dalton than almost anyone on this board, and you’re going to jump on AJ Green for dropping a ball in the rain?

Anyone that watches the NFL (including outside Cincy) will put Green as a top 5 WR. That’s elite.

1) I don't make excuses for Dalton. I defend him from the lies and stupidity spewed by Dalton's Dumbasses.

2) I'm not jumping on AJ Green. I'm being critical of him, yes, but I'm not jumping on him. Green is a great WR. Elite? Not if he's going to drop passes in critical moments of games.

3) Interesting that you hold a better player to a lower standard. Why? Why does Dalton have to be perfect in order to just be an average QB in your eyes, but Green, a supposedly elite player, can make mistakes and you say nothing? Hmm?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not about the drop. It's about WHEN it occurred.

Again find me one WR who has never dropped a "big" pass. You won't because it has literally happened to every WR. The guy is elite, your simply emotional about a loss that in the grand scheme probably didn't even matter. He will be a hall of famer on his current pace....and no one will remember a drop on a Monday night game during a losing season.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again find me one WR who has never dropped a "big" pass. You won't because it has literally happened to every WR. The guy is elite, your simply emotional about a loss that in the grand scheme probably didn't even matter. He will be a hall of famer on his current pace....and no one will remember a drop on a Monday night game during a losing season.

He will be a hall of famer, no doubt. . And I'll even concede that Green's not having an elite season this year, but my point still stands: elite WRs do not drop passes that hit them in their hands in crucial moments of big games.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:18 AM)Sweetness Wrote: He would have had 100+ yards and 3 touchdowns if not for the refs deciding the Steelers needed to win this game. That call on Bernard was so terrible it's amazing. 
Maybe there was something I missed being at the game, but why the hell did Dalton not step up in the pocket and run for the first down on our last offensive play before we punted the game away? It looked to be wide open to easily get the first down. 

I didn't like that play call. I really thought they were going to call a QB draw there. However, they pretty much had Dalton boxed in IMO and he did step up into pocket and there wasn't anywhere to run with Dupree breathing down his neck..

At to the thread, AJ isn't soft. Should he have caught that, YES, so should LaFell had caught the one that hit him in the hands.
Reply/Quote