Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ Green is soft
(12-05-2017, 01:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again find me one WR who has never dropped a "big" pass. You won't because it has literally happened to every WR. The guy is elite, your simply emotional about a loss that in the grand scheme probably didn't even matter. He will be a hall of famer on his current pace....and no one will remember a drop on a Monday night game during a losing season.

Think about this- how many games in clutch time has AJ “taken over?” I remember many more games where he fumbled at the end, did not make a catch or something like that. Do not get me wrong, he is the best offensive player on our team. I think it’s all a direct reflection on Marvin. I can not remember the last times player was “clutch” in a big game when Marvin is the coach. Maybe Dalton against the Seahawks in 15’ but that’s it.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:11 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Think about this- how many games in clutch time has AJ “taken over?” I remember many more games where he fumbled at the end, did not make a catch or something like that. Do not get me wrong, he is the best offensive player on our tease. I think it’s all a direct reflection on Marvin. I can not remember the last times player was “clutch” in a big game when Marvin is the coach. Maybe Dalton against the Seahawks in 15’ but that’s it.

Yeah I can't really put AJ not catching a ball on anyone else but AJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:11 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Think about this- how many games in clutch time has AJ “taken over?” I remember many more games where he fumbled at the end, did not make a catch or something like that. Do not get me wrong, he is the best offensive player on our team. I think it’s all a direct reflection on Marvin. I can not remember the last times player was “clutch” in a big game when Marvin is the coach. Maybe Dalton against the Seahawks in 15’ but that’s it.

If his 60 yard TD doesn't get called back for a hold is he now magically clutch? Did he not make two defenders look silly to even make that happen after a poorly under thrown ball? You guys crack me up, seriously. Go outside Cincinnati and this really isn't even a question.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He will be a hall of famer, no doubt. . And I'll even concede that Green's not having an elite season this year, but my point still stands: elite WRs do not drop passes that hit them in their hands in crucial moments of big games.

C'mon Phil, you know very well that the Steelers put baby oil on the already wet football, when nobody was looking.  I mean, it was a double miracle that Bodine was able to snap the ball to Andy, and that Andy was able to actually throw the damn thing as well as he did..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He will be a hall of famer, no doubt. . And I'll even concede that Green's not having an elite season this year, but my point still stands: elite WRs do not drop passes that hit them in their hands in crucial moments of big games.

Brown dropped a big third down pass late in the 3rd quarter while they were trailing by two scores, he also ran the wrong sight adjustment in the first half on a 3rd down conversion (Ben freaked out).
Reply/Quote
AJ is athletically the same as OCHO CINCO... minus the end zone celebrations.. let that sink in. Yes, they both fizzle when they are needed the most, I feel it more with AJ.
Reply/Quote
So much fail here I am just going to move on.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
If we're to place blame on something, where did our DL go in the 4th quarter? Pretty mush a non factor, yeah they were being held, but still you have to beat the guy in front of you sometimes. I have been screaming more blitzing and Gruden said the samething. When you don't get home with rushing 4 then why not send another guy...
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Green is far from soft. Go re-watch the Jags game. He may be Bungalized or Lewisized or whatever crazy term you want to come up with. He does wilt some in the big lights or with the pressure on like the rest of the team. I feel a lot of that comes down to the attitude of the team from Brown down to Lewis and the coaching staff. Green is easily a top 5 WR in the NFL. He is the only elite player on this team. One of his very few issues is not coming up clutch. It'd be different if that couldn't be said about every player on the team.

He is totally an elite player and until the one drop at the end of the game he had an amazing game.

And I would not call him soft .  Especially for one drop where he knew he was going to be smacked.   It was his only bad play of the night

But he wilted on that catch and it hurt us.  I'm not going to call him out for the loss, but it is emblematic of a team that doesn't cut it in crunch time.   That's what makes teams like New England special.  They just make those plays - especially when the game is on the line.  No team is perfect.  Antonio Brown had several bad plays last night.  So it is unfair for me to characterize A.J. as soft.

The team was night and day from the beginning of the season.  But it is so frustrating that we don't make the plays when the heat is on.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If we're to place blame on something, where did our DL go in the 4th quarter? Pretty mush a non factor, yeah they were being held, but still you have to beat the guy in front of you sometimes. I have been screaming more blitzing and Gruden said the samething. When you don't get home with rushing 4 then why not send another guy...

This. We made it too damn easy for them.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. We made it too damn easy for them.

Creative stunts and blitzes in the first half, and it worked.  I did not watch after the bogus hold on Gio, but up until that point, it looked like the D had gone into its shell again.  Did that pervade throughout the second half?  I automatically assume it did.....Merv-ball and all......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Brown dropped a big third down pass late in the 3rd quarter while they were trailing by two scores, he also ran the wrong sight adjustment in the first half on a 3rd down conversion (Ben freaked out).

But scored the GAME TIEING TD
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:42 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: But scored the GAME TIEING TD

AJ scored to move us to 24....talk to the refs and Gio about what happened after. The play on the under thrown ball, and the ensuing moves he had to put on two defenders in open field were as clutch as it gets.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Creative stunts and blitzes in the first half, and it worked.  I did not watch after the bogus hold on Gio, but up until that point, it looked like the D had gone into its shell again.  Did that pervade throughout the second half?  I automatically assume it did.....Merv-ball and all......

Yes it did! We went into the bend(over) but don't break shit. Rushing 4 and Ben picked us apart or should I say picked Dre apart....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: If his 60 yard TD doesn't get called back for a hold is he now magically clutch? Did he not make two defenders look silly to even make that happen after a poorly under thrown ball? You guys crack me up, seriously. Go outside Cincinnati and this really isn't even a question.

At that point we were still up 17-10 in the 3rd quarter. Clutch is when the heat is on, and you NEED A PLAY. He, along with no one else, made a play. He and Lafell had 3 key drops that were either close to a first down or a first down. Would not trade the guy, but would really like to see what a new coach brings to the fire and clutch play all of our players lack.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yes it did! We went into the bend(over) but don't break shit. Rushing 4 and Ben picked us apart or should I say picked Dre apart....

Pretty sad when you can go to bed with most of the 3rd quarter remaining, and easily predict what will happen.  I even mentioned in the gameday thread that I had seen this shit show one too many times to lose any sleep! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:46 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: At that point we were still up 17-10 in the 3rd quarter. Clutch is when the heat is on, and you NEED A PLAY. He, along with no one else, made a play. He and Lafell had 3 key drops that were either close to a first down or a first down. Would not trade the guy, but would really like to see what a new coach brings to the fire and clutch play all of our  players lack.

That is a such a revisionist way of looking at things. So as the other team had stolen all momentum, and it looks like they are going to come back and get the game, making a big play on a poorly thrown ball and then outrunning two guys wasn't clutch?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: AJ scored to move us to 24....talk to the refs and Gio about what happened after. The play on the under thrown ball, and the ensuing moves he had to put on two defenders in open field were as clutch as it gets.

No. Just no.

It didn’t count- bad or not, and when it really mattered, he didn’t pull in a ball that went right through his hands. Clutch equals wins.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: That is a such a revisionist way of looking at things. So as the other team had stolen all momentum, and it looks like they are going to come back and get the game, making a big play on a poorly thrown ball and then outrunning two guys wasn't clutch?

Did we get points out of it?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:47 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: No. Just no.

It didn’t count- bad or not, and when it really mattered, he didn’t pull in a ball that went right through his hands. Clutch equals wins.

lol okay I'm done, you're a clown. 
Reply/Quote