Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.
Schefty just said this on NFL Live. Thoughts on this? He's worth every penny, I just want this thing done!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:16 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Schefty just said this on NFL Live. Thoughts on this? He's worth every penny, I just want this thing done!

Isn't he the guy who said Jonah could be traded any day? 
Reply/Quote
It's obvious Burrow will get more. That's how these work.
Reply/Quote
Herbert reminds me of Carson Palmer.
Incredible arm strength, perfect size, will put up good stats.
But does he have the ability to get your team deep into the postseason?

Burrow is more of that Joe Montana, Tom Brady kinda guy.

Burrow 100% should (will) get a better contract than Herbert, at least in terms of overall money and/or APY.
Where I think Herbert may win out is guaranteed money, but let's be honest...Burrow is not getting cut during his next contract if it's with the Bengals.
Any contract amount is basically guaranteed because it will be for the full duration.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Herbert reminds me of Carson Palmer.
Incredible arm strength, perfect size, will put up good stats.
But does he have the ability to get your team deep into the postseason?

Burrow is more of that Joe Montana, Tom Brady kinda guy.

Burrow 100% should (will) get a better contract than Herbert, at least in terms of overall money and/or APY.
Where I think Herbert may win out is guaranteed money, but let's be honest...Burrow is not getting cut during his next contract if it's with the Bengals.
Any contract amount is basically guaranteed because it will be for the full duration.

Agree

He just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor.
Reply/Quote
Herbert is far superior athletically to Palmer though. Palmer was a relative statue in the pocket, while Herbert can move like a gazelle in comparison.
Reply/Quote
If he takes way more than 52M/year I don’t know why he would ever publicly say he wants to structure his deal to make sure he keeps more weapons around him. I don’t see how they’ll keep Higgins and Chase if Burrow is in the 60’s.
Reply/Quote
Way north could mean anything.

I’d suspect it’s contract value and amount of years so the spread helps us keep Tee and the rest.
Reply/Quote
I guess there's still time to be wrong, but I never saw there being any chance of Burrow taking pennies on the dollar like some people hoped/expected. Same as I didn't trust that thread earlier in the offseason about Higgins signing for 5yr/$85m.

These guys are high performing professionals in a business with a really short timespan of being able to get paid. Not going to be shocked when they want to be paid according to the market and their skill level.

- - - - - - -

Interesting to note that a PFF guy back in April projected Burrow to get 4yr/$214m. I still think that it'll end up being more than 4 years, but the yearly average ($53.5m) is shockingly close to the ballpark of what he'll likely get. Pretty impressive by them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:06 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Herbert is far superior athletically to Palmer though. Palmer was a relative statue in the pocket, while Herbert can move like a gazelle in comparison.

That’s more of a product of the time, I think. Palmer was significantly more mobile than people give him credit for. Palmer’s 40 yard dash time was just a hair slower than both Cam Newton and Vince Young. Also, faster than Justin Herbert. It just wasn’t as common for guys in that era to be as mobile.

When Herbert came out, I thought he was a spitting image of Carson Palmer, just with more fluidity to his game. To be clear, Herbert is more athletic but I don’t think it is due to any physical limitations Palmer had, he just didn’t work that part of his game like QBs now do.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I guess there's still time to be wrong, but I never saw there being any chance of Burrow taking pennies on the dollar like some people hoped/expected. Same as I didn't trust that thread earlier in the offseason about Higgins signing for 5yr/$85m.

These guys are high performing professionals in a business with a really short timespan of being able to get paid. Not going to be shocked when they want to be paid according to the market and their skill level.

I tend to agree. I have never given any credibility to the idea that Burrow is going to take a discount. I could always be wrong, but Burrow has already had a major knee injury and admitted to have concussions severe that he has no recollection of games. He understands the volatility of the sport well. He’s going to become the highest paid QB in the league, rightfully so.

I think the idea of him taking a cut comes from someone like Brady, but the notion that Brady took pay cuts is often overstated as well.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile, Aaron Rogers took a huge pay cut to help his new team:

"Rodgers agreed to a two-year, fully guaranteed $75 million contract with the Jets, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by NFL Network. It represents a pay cut of $33.715 million from the $108.715 million he was still owed on the contract he signed with the Packers in 2022.

"The Jets' salary cap will be reduced by the same amount as his pay cut which will allow the Jets to acquire far more talent than they would have been able to acquire under the contract assumed from the Green Bay Packers in April. No team sport player has ever revised his contract in such a team-focused way."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38075863/aaron-rodgers-agrees-reworked-contract-jets
Reply/Quote
I don't think it will be "way north" of Herberts. What I hope that happens is that Burrow signs a 10ish year contract with a huge guarantee payday, but overall team friendly, especially when the cap gets much larger in the future.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: Meanwhile, Aaron Rogers took a huge pay cut to help his new team:

"Rodgers agreed to a two-year, fully guaranteed $75 million contract with the Jets, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by NFL Network. It represents a pay cut of $33.715 million from the $108.715 million he was still owed on the contract he signed with the Packers in 2022.

"The Jets' salary cap will be reduced by the same amount as his pay cut which will allow the Jets to acquire far more talent than they would have been able to acquire under the contract assumed from the Green Bay Packers in April. No team sport player has ever revised his contract in such a team-focused way."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38075863/aaron-rodgers-agrees-reworked-contract-jets

Rodgers will also turn 40 this year. That’s the driving factor behind his declining salary.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That’s more of a product of the time, I think. Palmer was significantly more mobile than people give him credit for. Palmer’s 40 yard dash time was just a hair slower than both Cam Newton and Vince Young. Also, faster than Justin Herbert. It just wasn’t as common for guys in that era to be as mobile.

When Herbert came out, I thought he was a spitting image of Carson Palmer, just with more fluidity to his game. To be clear, Herbert is more athletic but I don’t think it is due to any physical limitations Palmer had, he just didn’t work that part of his game like QBs now do.

The game has changed so much since then. For example every QB in the NFL can occasionally run a read Option  back in 2003 that wasn’t even a thing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 08:46 PM)J24 Wrote: The game has changed so much since then. For example every QB in the NFL can occasionally run a read Option  back in 2003 that wasn’t even a thing.

Only running QBs in that time I can recall from that timeframe were basically Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb briefly before he got fat, and then David Carr who was running for his life rather than because it was planned.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
6/350. Is that even possible? Don't matter. I'm goin' with that, Regis. Final answer.

Either way, the clickbait around the upcoming signings is ludicrous, torturous and epitheliomatous.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 07:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I guess there's still time to be wrong, but I never saw there being any chance of Burrow taking pennies on the dollar like some people hoped/expected. Same as I didn't trust that thread earlier in the offseason about Higgins signing for 5yr/$85m.

- - - - - - -

Interesting to note that a PFF guy back in April projected Burrow to get 4yr/$214m. I still think that it'll end up being more than 4 years, but the yearly average ($53.5m) is shockingly close to the ballpark of what he'll likely get. Pretty impressive by them.

As many of us said before, it's not the amount of money that Joe gets, it's the structure of the deal.  I never thought that he should take less $$.  However, he's not stupid and I'm sure the reason this is taking a little longer than most thought is so that they get the structure right.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 08:13 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Rodgers will also turn 40 this year. That’s the driving factor behind his declining salary.

Rogers was due to make close to $100 million in guarantees in his previous contract. He took $35 million less dollars, down to $75 million in guarantees, with the goal of helping his new team. As ESPN notes, "This is an uncommonly large pay cut, one that will provide financial flexibility for the [Jets] organization over the next two years" and "No team sport player has ever revised his contract in such a team-focused way."

I don't see how the driving factor is his age; the driving factor appears to be to help his team. He is giving up $35 million in guarantees.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:43 PM)Nepa Wrote: Rogers was due to make close to $100 million in guarantees in his previous contract. He took $35 million less dollars, down to $75 million in guarantees, with the goal of helping his new team. As ESPN notes, "This is an uncommonly large pay cut, one that will provide financial flexibility for the [Jets] organization over the next two years."

I don't see how the driving factor is his age; the driving factor appears to be to help his team. He is giving up $35 million in guarantees.

No, you’re right. I had it in my head that he was signed as a free agent and wasn’t traded for. I wasn’t putting everything together correctly.
Reply/Quote