Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Schefter says Burrows contract will be way north of Herberts.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: If a man can't take care of his family making tens of millions each year (40 million? 50 million? 60 million? per year!), and with the name recognition to get more in other ways, then something is wrong.

If he cares about his teammates, his team, and fans, then those should be part of the equation as well. And if he has a winning team, and sacrifices somewhat to have a winning team, then his name recognition and favorability rating will benefit as well. As will his enjoyment from coming to work every day.

In other words, it's not just money, money, money. That may be the agent's number one motivation. But a player has many factors to consider. I trust Joe will take in all these factors.

In the grand scheme of things, it does all boil down to money when you are a top 5 player.

Now, the best way to "take care of the team" and his "family" is to structure his deal so that the big money hits later in the contract when the cap is higher or take more of the contract as a signing bonus.

I was never in the boat that Burrow needed or should take less money.  I was and still am in the boat that he needs to do as much as he can to get his money AND structure the deal right so that the team can hold onto as many players as they can.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: If a man can't take care of his family making tens of millions each year (40 million? 50 million? 60 million? per year!), and with the name recognition to get more in other ways, then something is wrong.

If he cares about his teammates, his team, and fans, then those should be part of the equation as well. And if he has a winning team, and sacrifices somewhat to have a winning team, then his name recognition and favorability rating will benefit as well. As will his enjoyment from coming to work every day.

In other words, it's not just money, money, money. That may be the agent's number one motivation. But a player has many factors to consider. I trust Joe will take in all these factors.

Here's the thing.

Mahomes only makes a "modest" $45 mill APY. But when he signed that deal in 2020, he became the highest-paid QB at that time.
Now, he's 7th in APY. Behind Herbert ($52.5 mill), Jackson ($52 mill), Hurts ($51 mill), Wilson ($48.5 mill), Murray ($46.1 mill), and Watson ($46 mill).

Bengals would be wise to make Burrow the highest-paid QB now, but do it for something like Mahomes did, which was 10 years.
After just the first 2-3 years of that new deal, it's going to seem like a bargain.

At the end of the day, it's not Burrow's responsibility to figure out how to put a team together with an expensive QB and the salary cap.
It's up to the Bengals FO to figure that out.

If letting another guy walk so the Bengals keep Burrow, I'm doing that all day every day.
A new WR, DB, heck even pass rusher is easier to find compared to a franchise QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2023, 02:59 PM)pally Wrote:

Oof… I doubt the difference is all that much in the grand scheme Of things.
Reply/Quote

"I would imagine" 

when blind speculation becomes news
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

Key phrase is "I would imagine" ... very likely, he has no actual idea and this is open speculation. Mind you, I didn't see the show so don't know if context is important here.
Reply/Quote
There's a lot of speculation because of how tight the Bengals inner circle is. Stuff just doesn't leak...which is good.

The Hendrickson extension came out of absolute nowhere...I expect the Burrow extension to be very similar.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Today is the day. I don’t have any inside info or anything. I am simply just going to speak it into existence. (This has worked for a bengals comeback before, in real time.)
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 10:25 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Today is the day.  I don’t have any inside info or anything.  I am simply just going to speak it into existence.  (This has worked for a bengals comeback before, in real time.)

Say something about Burrow playing for 150k a year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 10:25 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Today is the day.  I don’t have any inside info or anything.  I am simply just going to speak it into existence.  (This has worked for a bengals comeback before, in real time.)

We will see, hope so and hope it is for like 10 years like Ocho said.
Reply/Quote
Bump, can we get this done already?
Reply/Quote
They will do Tee Higgins and then Burrow.

I am guessing... if I had to... that Burrow told them to get Tee & Logan done and then he will take what's left in a way that works and makes sense.

I also wonder if Tee not practicing against Packers means signing is close? They have sat guys out of camp practices while deals were on the cusp before. Makes sense because if the player gets hurt at practice is screws up everything they've all worked on. It's unfair to the player, for sure, to take that risk.
Reply/Quote
Remember who Tee Higgins agent is. Same one as Jessie Bates and Deshaun Watson. I imagine he is trying to get a very large amount of guaranteed money for Tee and I won't be shocked if we go into the year with no deal in place for Tee. I hope im wrong but that agent is a nightmare when it comes to building championship rosters.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 02:01 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Remember who Tee Higgins agent is. Same one as Jessie Bates and Deshaun Watson. I imagine he is trying to get a very large amount of guaranteed money for Tee and I won't be shocked if we go into the year with no deal in place for Tee. I hope im wrong but that agent is a nightmare when it comes to building championship rosters.

That’s all true but it depends on their client. Bates & Watson obviously wanted show me the money. Not a given Tee is that way. But who knows
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 01:57 PM)PDub80 Wrote: They will do Tee Higgins and then Burrow.

I am guessing... if I had to... that Burrow told them to get Tee & Logan done and then he will take what's left in a way that works and makes sense.

I also wonder if Tee not practicing against Packers means signing is close? They have sat guys out of camp practices while deals were on the cusp before. Makes sense because if the player gets hurt at practice is screws up everything they've all worked on. It's unfair to the player, for sure, to take that risk.

All this might be true, maybe the FO and coaches want to see some of Iosivas in the Preseason first as well. He is about the only 
player on this roster that could be a future Tee replacement if we cannot get a fair deal done for all parties involved.

(08-10-2023, 02:01 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Remember who Tee Higgins agent is.  Same one as Jessie Bates and Deshaun Watson.  I imagine he is trying to get a very large amount of guaranteed money for Tee and I won't be shocked if we go into the year with no deal in place for Tee.  I hope im wrong but that agent is a nightmare when it comes to building championship rosters.

Definitely have to think about this as well. We cannot afford to pay Tee 25 mil per year. 20-21 maybe...

But we still need to be able to extend Reader and Burrow this year and Chase on down the road.

(08-10-2023, 02:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s all true but it depends on their client. Bates & Watson obviously wanted show me the money. Not a given Tee is that way. But who knows

The Bengals being Tee's favorite team growing up and his friendships and the possibilities of Super Bowl wins could sway Tee into 
taking a bit less yah never know. The Stains way overpaid for Watson though and rewarded the guy while he was being a scumbag.

That is different. We were never going to pay Bates, that is why we drafted Dax Hill in the first place.
Reply/Quote
With the way they have been hitting on drafting rookies, this team will do just fine.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All this might be true, maybe the FO and coaches want to see some of Iosivas in the Preseason first as well. He is about the only 
player on this roster that could be a future Tee replacement if we cannot get a fair deal done for all parties involved.

Oh man, this is awesome...it's felt like ages since we've had a late round pick WR to go ape over.  
Reply/Quote