Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And the proactive offseason continues!
(08-30-2018, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dre is a tad overpaid, but he’s not a mediocre player.

Neither is Rey. While he is not the best linebacker, he is a strong backup that can play all 3 LB positions and is willing and able to play ST's. That's not something teams just gloss over.....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A lot of narratives are getting dispelled this offseason.

I'm just as excited and happy about the 2 signings as the next guy. That being said, the only narrative I'm worried about dispelling is the post season one.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Neither is Rey. While he is not the best linebacker, he is a strong backup that can play all 3 LB positions and is willing and able to play ST's. That's not something teams just gloss over.....

I see no reason Rey cannot be replaced with a lesser salary person. Again, it is about total cap management. Hard to have a backup makes what he does when you could put the money to better starters in other spots. Our starting LB's have been less than stellar for years so why pay a premium for a backup to guys that are not that good (save for Burfict). It is like the last two years of Rey M when we signed him for $5M  per year when no other team would have even looked at him. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:39 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I see no reason Rey cannot be replaced with a lesser salary person. Again, it is about total cap management. Hard to have a backup makes what he does when you could put the money to better starters in other spots. Our starting LB's have been less than stellar for years so why pay a premium for a backup to guys that are not that good (save for Burfict). It is like the last two years of Rey M when we signed him for $5M  per year when no other team would have even looked at him. 

You have to pay for quality backups because this is football and starters tend to get injured. If you just go with "lesser" players as backups, you are hosed with the first injury..... Vinney's versatility means they get more out of one player than they would 2....
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You have to pay for quality backups because this is football and starters tend to get injured. If you just go with "lesser" players as backups, you are hosed with the first injury..... Vinney's versatility means they get more out of one player than they would 2....

This is fine as long as you have cap space. But most teams don't because they have more quality starters. I would ask this - would you trade the salaries of Rey and Vigil for a better starter and then a younger cheaper backup? I would
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 11:08 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: This is fine as long as you have cap space. But most teams don't because they have more quality starters. I would ask this - would you trade the salaries of Rey and Vigil for a better starter and then a younger cheaper backup? I would

Vigil is turning into a very good linebacker. He played last year on a bad ankle, and, like a lot of players, once people on here start bashing him, it gets parroted. I was not a Vigil fan when we drafted him, but he is winning me over.
Reply/Quote