Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And the proactive offseason continues!
(08-29-2018, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I didn't say 4 starting tackles...they need 2 starters and really at the VERY LEAST 1 swing depth tackle and preferably a 4th. Right now in 2019 they have one tackle ynder contract....One.

I have not seen the 2018 season yet, not one game played. I am an optimist and think 1 OT will emerge as the swing tackle you mentioned out of:

Hart
Ced
Fisher
Perkins

I am hopeful the guy who wins our starting OT tackle job in 2018 can at least be a swing tackle. We have the rights to all 4 of them in 2019 by using the franchising system if need be to keep them. I believe besides the franchise tag, there are a couple more options available that are less expensive and at a minimum could get us a high draft pick if a team tries to sign them. I can only hope someone emerges worthy of such a designation, that means we probably had a great 2018.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:12 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Man, you've sure pulled a 180!

Indeed I have.  I'm still on the fence about how successful they'll actually be this season, but I try to be a man of my word.  I said I wouldn't contribute a dime of my money to them until they at least tried to make things right.  There's no way, if we're being honest, you can say that they haven't made great strides in that department this year.  By previous Bengals standards, it's leaps and bounds above what they've done since the days of Paul Brown running the show.

Massive coaching overhaul (Merv the exception)   check
Good draft moves to address the oline, getting Glenn and Price out of the 1st round   check
Nice signing at LB  check
Inking our best dlinemen for their career  check
Cutting some dead weight  check
FINALLY axing Piano Man  check
etc etc

Will it pay off THIS season?  The jury is still out, but if they continue to move forward like this, and get some more OL help, I see no reason why this can't be a legit SB contender in 2019, at the least.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Who was your board buddy who kept saying "quit worrying, they will not let Atkins or Dunlap get away, and will re-sign both"??? You know who it was, it was SLED, wasn't it..... Great job FO....

Damn rights, nice call brother, love it! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 02:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Indeed I have.  I'm still on the fence about how successful they'll actually be this season, but I try to be a man of my word.  I said I wouldn't contribute a dime of my money to them until they at least tried to make things right.  There's no way, if we're being honest, you can say that they haven't made great strides in that department this year.  By previous Bengals standards, it's leaps and bounds above what they've done since the days of Paul Brown running the show.

Massive coaching overhaul (Merv the exception)   check
Good draft moves to address the oline, getting Glenn and Price out of the 1st round   check
Nice signing at LB  check
Inking our best dlinemen for their career  check
Cutting some dead weight  check
FINALLY axing Piano Man  check
etc etc

Will it pay off THIS season?  The jury is still out, but if they continue to move forward like this, and get some more OL help, I see no reason why this can't be a legit SB contender in 2019, at the least.

I said the same thing when they brought back Marvin. But I'll give them credit when it's due. Great offseason other than Marvin.

&
 I broke down and bought a ticket for the Miami game today.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 05:25 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I said the same thing when they brought back Marvin. But I'll give them credit when it's due. Great offseason other than Marvin.

&
 I broke down and bought a ticket for the Miami game today.

That's the game we're going to.  Nice choice.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights, nice call brother, love it! Smirk

I'm making another call (this one some won't like). MJ is not going anywhere. They want his presence on the line in the run game, they like that he can move inside and clog passing lanes with his height, and they like him as a mentor. MJ..... you are safe.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 05:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm making another call (this one some won't like). MJ is not going anywhere. They want his presence on the line in the run game, they like that he can move inside and clog passing lanes with his height, and they like him as a mentor. MJ..... you are safe.

I mean, i understand this if MJ was playing better but so far this Preseason and last season he wasn't good except
as a rotational DT in passing situations. I will go the other route and say they cut him and bring in a vet Guard on
Cutdown day. I just think MJ is getting paid too much for what he brings to the table and the FO has been making
all the right moves, think this would be another good move.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, i understand this if MJ was playing better but so far this Preseason and last season he wasn't good except
as a rotational DT in passing situations. I will go the other route and say they cut him and bring in a vet Guard on
Cutdown day. I just think MJ is getting paid too much for what he brings to the table and the FO has been making
all the right moves, think this would be another good move.

I'm not saying he's not overpaid since his production has dropped. I'm just predicting they don't let him go for the reasons I stated above. Being a rotational DT on passing plays is important too.... and they are liking the depth of rotation on this line.
Reply/Quote
You know what else?

Do you remember that video of Atkins and I think it was Pressly with that guy asking them dating questions?

The guy asked if they played ball and Atkins answered "A little" and I think Pressly was going to say who they played for but Atkins stopped him. I believe the reason Atkins stopped him from saying they played for the Bengals because he's smart and didn't know we're the questioning was going to lead. He didn't want to embarrass the organization.

That's my opinion but I like to think its true.

These two players are class acts. You never hear about them other than what they do on the field.

Am I putting them on a pedestal only to be disappointed later on? I don't think they will disappoint and yes, I'm putting them on a pedestal.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 06:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying he's not overpaid since his production has dropped. I'm just predicting they don't let him go for the reasons I stated above. Being a rotational DT on passing plays is important too.... and they are liking the depth of rotation on this line.

You could be right Sled, you definately called the Geno and Los extensions correctly...
Reply/Quote
It's probably a bit too early to be talking about who the Bengals should or shouldn't draft next year, but there are a few interesting college OTs out there worth keeping an eye on. 
It's tough to say where we'll be drafting, early or late in the first round  and it's doubtful this team will trade up. I figure somewhere between #15 & #22 unless we get really lucky and power our way to #31 or #32.. 
Anyway , here's Walter's tentative list.. http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 02:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hart
Ced
Fisher
Perkins

We have the rights to all 4 of them in 2019 by using the franchising system if need be to keep them. I believe besides the franchise tag,

Sorry man, I just don't see a tag worthy name in that group.  Are you really willing to pay one of those guys 12-15M?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 01:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, I just don't see a tag worthy name in that group.  Are you really willing to pay one of those guys 12-15M?

I would not pay that to all of them combined.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 12:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's probably a bit too early to be talking about who the Bengals should or shouldn't draft next year, but there are a few interesting college OTs out there worth keeping an eye on. 
It's tough to say where we'll be drafting, early or late in the first round  and it's doubtful this team will trade up. I figure somewhere between #15 & #22 unless we get really lucky and power our way to #31 or #32.. 
Anyway , here's Walter's tentative list.. http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php

A lucid, coherent, ON-TOPIC post from gramps?

I'm amazed.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 06:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not saying he's not overpaid since his production has dropped. I'm just predicting they don't let him go for the reasons I stated above. Being a rotational DT on passing plays is important too.... and they are liking the depth of rotation on this line.

Certainly a valid point, and I predict that's what they'll do.

But I have not seen him make a decent play all pre-season.   Even Tupou has made some pretty stops - albeit against backups.

I just don't see any value beyond his experience.
Reply/Quote
thing i'm happy with we are no long over paying mediocre players. No iloka , Bodine, Lafell, pacman, we have been over paying mediocre players for too long hopefully this is a sign that its stopped
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 03:39 PM)3wt Wrote: Certainly a valid point, and I predict that's what they'll do.

But I have not seen him make a decent play all pre-season.   Even Tupou has made some pretty stops - albeit against backups.

I just don't see any value beyond his experience.

If they were going to cut him, it would have been before today so he could sign elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 05:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If they were going to cut him, it would have been before today so he could sign elsewhere.

Probably correct Sled.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 04:46 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: thing i'm happy with we are no long over paying mediocre players. No iloka , Bodine, Lafell, pacman, we have been over paying mediocre players for too long hopefully this is a sign that its stopped

MJ, Hewitt, Rey and Dre is overpaid...we are not there yet
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 07:54 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: MJ, Hewitt, Rey and Dre is overpaid...we are not there yet

Dre is a tad overpaid, but he’s not a mediocre player.

Reply/Quote