Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And the proactive offseason continues!
(08-29-2018, 10:04 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And this deal just makes the off-season that much better. My hope continues to rise! I sooooo hope they are able to keep this positive momentum up and have a great season.

Fair enough, but odds are a mid round tackle will take 2 to 3 years to be effective if at all. This can be fixed by taking (better class in 2019) a tackle in round 1 or 2 next year who could step in day one like Price has done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
WTH! Did Mike Brown retire? The irony is that even when they are doing something right, something doesn't seem right.. hahaha..

For your efforts Mike Brown, I am gonna buy some Bengal gear this season (on sale ofc).
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:28 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Even among 4-3 DE I think he's vastly overrated by Bengals fans the past 2 years. Dont get me wrong people, I love Dunlap and I'm glad they signed him but he just hasn't been as effective the past 2 years. Look at the stats. Maybe people just dont pay attention to what other teams do and think Bengals players are either top 5 at their position or bottom 5. But believe it or not there is a group in the middle and Dunlap has been in that group the past couple years. There's alot of really good DEs in the league. 

Pretty much all of the other good DEs do all of those things too. Just because most people dont watch the majority of nonBengals games doesnt mean they aren't happening. 

When you are talking about free agents or contract extensions for free agents you have to remember that you can not sign any player you want.  You can only sign the guys available.  That means the market sets the price.  If you want a free agent DE the best guy on the market gets the best deal even if he is not the best DE in the league.

So it is easy to argue in theory about how Los is not a top 5 DE, but the real question is who could we sign for less next year if we let him walk?

Plus teams much prefer to keep the players they know than take a risk on players from other teams.  Wed have all seen teams pay a ton of money to a guy who doea not perform the same when he switches teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, but odds are a mid round tackle will take 2 to 3 years to be effective if at all. This can be fixed by taking (better class in 2019) a tackle in round 1 or 2 next year who could step in day one like Price has done.

They have to take a tackle next draft there is no way out of it....The only offensive tackle under contract after this season is Cordy Glenn. I think even Kent Perkins is a free agent lol. Another reason I'm surprised they didn't take one in the 2018 draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: WTH! Did Mike Brown retire? The irony is that even when they are doing something right, something doesn't seem right.. hahaha..

For your efforts Mike Brown, I am gonna buy some Bengal gear this season (on sale ofc).

You know what.....that's a good point.  I am too.  I might even go to a game this year for the first time since 2015.  I said I'd contribute when I felt like they were making moves to be a contender, and they have done so.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, we weren’t fixing the train wreck that was the Oline in one offseason, so I’d say it’s been a good start.

Why not fix it in one season? Other teams have done it
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: They have to take a tackle next draft there is no way out of it....The only offensive tackle under contract after this season is Cordy Glenn. I think even Kent Perkins is a free agent lol. Another reason I'm surprised they didn't take one in the 2018 draft.

I have yet to see how OT's taken in 2018 draft are doing with their new teams. Are any taken after round 1 lighting it up (I say because we also needed a center and I think we needed Price)? I am not an expert and often question experts, but prior to the draft they said the OL group was weak overall, then the draft the GM's agreed by their picks. My point being you can't put a square peg hole in a round hole because you have a square peg. The Bengals know their immediate needs, but if the need is not a fit to step in immediately, makes no sense to force the square peg in the round hole, it will just be frustrating and will never fit.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know what.....that's a good point.  I am too.  I might even go to a game this year for the first time since 2015.  I said I'd contribute when I felt like they were making moves to be a contender, and they have done so.  

Man, you've sure pulled a 180!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: They have to take a tackle next draft there is no way out of it....The only offensive tackle under contract after this season is Cordy Glenn. I think even Kent Perkins is a free agent lol. Another reason I'm surprised they didn't take one in the 2018 draft.

I agree.  Next year an OT and a LB are musts.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:08 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Why not fix it in one season? Other teams have done it

They are trying and did try. 
Glenn
Price
Hart
Perkins

They also like Hopkins, Westerman and Redmond.

They brought in new OL coach to give Ced. and Fisher a new guy to learn from.

I think they are trying. Add in weak draft for OL draft and FA.

I suggest you look around the league too. The Pats OL was downgraded significantly on paper, I am sure BB did not ignore it, he tried but can only upgrade if you can find better options or train the guys you have to get better. How about we wait and see how the OL does in 2018, they did well in 3 games protecting the QB's. That is a major upgrade so far from 2016 and 2017.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:16 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I agree.  Next year an OT and a LB are musts.  

These are the 2 areas where the team has drafted very poorly over say the last 5 years plus. They need to figure out why and correct it. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:19 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: These are the 2 areas where the team has drafted very poorly over say the last 5 years plus. They need to figure out why and correct it. 

[Image: 7a97bd88948e4607e01bfd979df5f441.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:57 AM)3wt Wrote: Drives me nuts when sports talk show hosts and podcast hosts do that.

I have no interest in their opinion about anything but the game, team or player.  They want to talk about their personal life, cute anecdotes, personal preferences or pet peeves.  At best they'll beat a "controversial behavior" story to death after it's already been hackneyed by the major networks.

And except for rare players I'm not interested in player interviews.  They're just going to be delivering a bunch of stereotypical platitudes with typical phraseology that basically says nothing of interest.

And I realize they do this every day, but there is a lot of things that people who do this for a living are aware of through their sources and what they get to observe that the rest of us who don't have the same access would be grateful to know.
I know what you mean. The city and the teams don’t do that good with PR to help attendance. Most cities would be hyped at signing your 2 best D players.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:21 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I know what you mean. The city and the teams don’t  do that good with PR to help attendance. Most cities would be hyped at signing your 2 best D players.

Well, at least this board is hyped!
Reply/Quote

I agree and early forecast is 2019 has a strong tackle class and we know 2018 was a weak OT class.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:22 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Well, at least this board is hyped!

It’s something to be excited and happy about! Mike has had a good year. Some of it is doing what seems obvious but we all know that this doesn’t always happen here. Outside of wishing that they drafted another OLine Guy, I have nothing to complain about with effort. I guess I didn’t like bringing Marvin back, I am more optimistic this year for sure.
Reply/Quote
I’m glad these deals got done. I think geno may have been a little underpaid and Carlos a bit overpaid. The contracts combined were about what I expected.

With aj coming up soon I suspect our ol will continue to primarily overhauled via the draft.

The next big question is the qb position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have yet to see how OT's taken in 2018 draft are doing with their new teams. Are any taken after round 1 lighting it up (I say because we also needed a center and I think we needed Price)? I am not an expert and often question experts, but prior to the draft they said the OL group was weak overall, then the draft the GM's agreed by their picks. My point being you can't put a square peg hole in a round hole because you have a square peg. The Bengals know their immediate needs, but if the need is not a fit to step in immediately, makes no sense to force the square peg in the round hole, it will just be frustrating and will never fit.

The thing is next off season they will be down to one offensive tackle...ONE. 

They will likely have to resign one of the guys they have and draft 2 tackles one earlier and one late to get the 4 they will need for 2019. If one of the tackles look decent this season because of the lack of OT talent a team will very likeky over pay for their services to steal them away from the Bengals. See Andre Smith.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:43 PM)Synric Wrote: The thing is next off season they will be down to one offensive tackle...ONE. 

They will likely have to resign one of the guys they have and draft 2 tackles one earlier and one late to get the 4 they will need for 2019. If one of the tackles look decent this season because of the lack of OT talent a team will very likeky over pay for their services to steal them away from the Bengals. See Andre Smith.

We will never have 4 starting OT's on the roster, they are not available and one of the highest paid positions in football. I think we will have at least 2 emerge as suitable back ups, but time will tell. So, my math says we will need 1 starting OT to get us to second very OT on the roster.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 01:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We will never have 4 starting OT's on the roster, they are not available and one of the highest paid positions in football. I think we will have at least 2 emerge as suitable back ups, but time will tell. So, my math says we will need 1 starting OT to get us to second very OT on the roster.

I didn't say 4 starting tackles...they need 2 starters and really at the VERY LEAST 1 swing depth tackle and preferably a 4th. Right now in 2019 they have one tackle ynder contract....One.

Reply/Quote