Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
We could more than likely get Sewell at 9 and get Broncos first next year. We could also theoretically trade with Pats for their 2nd and a first next year and grab VeraTucker best true G in draft many options.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 08:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals have stated very clearly that they want a 'true outside receiver' that can win on the boundaries, as well as stretch the field. 

Marshall would fit that description, but apparently there are now some medical concerns that could cause him to fall, as reported by Daniel Jeremiah and confirmed by Dane Brugler. That will have to be able to be sorted out over the next few days.

As far as Scwartz, he's definitely fast...but he still needs work and some good coaching. He's not a guy you're going to rely on right away as a dependable boundary receiver, because physical corners are going to give him issues. He'll probably get quite a few snaps in the slot to start his career, to try to capitalize in his speed and change of direction, while he continues to develop his overall game.

There are likely other receivers that also fit the description.  Those two just jumped out at me.  

But, as for drafting players that aren't the cream of the crop at their position?  That's the entire point of having the franchise QB, that we drafted #1OA. Schwartz gets the opportunity to work with, and be elevated in his game by Joe Burrow.

The team needs to protect the franchise (Joe Burrow) by putting the money and draft capital into the OL.  Not only to protect him from pass rushers, but to develop a dependable rushing attack, so that he isn't having to seemingly pass every down.

Wouldn't you just love to see the Bengals line up on 3rd and a long two/short 3, and just hand the ball off with confidence?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not really. In the Burrow interview, he said he would probably take Chase. In the Hobson interview, he also said:

'Do they need what Chase would bring them as one of the greatest deep threats we've ever seen in college football? Yeah. And, oh, by the way, the guy who was throwing him the ball is the one that is going to throw it to him.'

'Would I love that? Yeah.'

'But would I prefer that Joe stay alive for a year in which he's going to be playing on a bad leg? Yeah. Honestly, if I ran the Bengals and I was making that decision and you have to throw Pitts into that decision, it's really hard. And they may have the choice of all three.'

'I'm worried they have three tackles at that point, and moving Sewell to guard, I'm worried about that because I want to keep him developing.'

So, while he leans Chase, he also thinks trading out would be the best move. 

This comment from a guy as well respected as Collinsworth will be completely hand waved away here, but it shouldn’t.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 08:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Why does he have to take a explicit stand one way or another? I don't understand this fascination. 

Right? It’s also super weird that anytime a prominent guy like Willie or Collinsworth make a case for taking Chase, it’s chalked up to “peer pressure” or “being coached.” People are really going off the rails with this stuff lol.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: By this logic I guess Denver fans should never question Elway when it comes to his decision making (especially on QB’s).

So you want to compare taking the best option left (Elway's case)

to 

The best option in the draft.

Elway hasn't hit on the QBs he drafted but he also has only drafted one in the first round since he took over as GM and that was 2016 when he took Lynch at 26. Easier to miss when you aren't handed the top choice of the position group on a prime position like QB or Tackle...

Also... there is this:

Under Elway's management, the team signed free agent quarterback Peyton Manning who had just been released by the Indianapolis Colts. In four seasons from 2012 to 2015, the Broncos won four division titles, two AFC Championships, and one Super Bowl.

So... yeah I think I'd be pretty ***** pleased with a Super Bowl title.

And so should the people of Denver be happy with Elway? Yes, Elway's choices got them a Super Bowl.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:08 PM)tms Wrote: It's so tempting. I would do it, because it would presumably allow you to get a first-round grade at both positions (Jenkins and Marshall, for example), and then allow you to go BPA sooner than expected and improve the team without paying any mind to the "Civil War" lol. Humphrey, Jamin Davis, Perkins, Phillips, Oweh are all quality names that could slip through the cracks that would be hard to land otherwise imo. 

* Btw, I would also add Maurice Jones-Drew to your Team Sewell list. It's technically a mock, but still a pretty strong statement from a former player.

I respect MJD, but I'm trying to limit the non-Bengals on the list. There's been countless others to come out for Sewell.

(04-22-2021, 09:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This comment from a guy as well respected as Collinsworth will be completely hand waved away here, but it shouldn’t.

I'll make note of it, but frankly it's Reiff that I'd kick inside. He's the veteran. He's switched before. He's on a 1 year deal. It just makes way more sense to bump him in

Do you respect the opinion of the countess Bengals legends who have come out in favor of Sewell?

(04-22-2021, 09:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right? It’s also super weird that anytime a prominent guy like Willie or Collinsworth make a case for taking Chase, it’s chalked up to “peer pressure” or “being coached.” People are really going off the rails with this stuff lol.

Meh. Willie has been very adamant on his Twitter and really only waffled a bit on the Podcast. I don't see where it's a giant leap in logic to think he just didn't want to live out our threads IRL, and was probably trying to be respectful of the others.

Again, he's made his stance clear on Twitter.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So you want to compare taking the best option left (Elway's case)

to 

The best option in the draft.

Elway hasn't hit on the QBs he drafted but he also has only drafted one in the first round since he took over as GM and that was 2016 when he took Lynch at 26. Easier to miss when you aren't handed the top choice of the position group on a prime position like QB or Tackle...

Elway could have taken Josh Allen at 5 in 2018 (he was the 2nd QB off the board after Mayfield). They took Bradley Chubb instead. Good player, but I guarantee they wish they had taken Allen now.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Elway could have taken Josh Allen at 5 in 2018 (he was the 2nd QB off the board after Mayfield). They took Bradley Chubb instead. Good player, but I guarantee they wish they had taken Allen now.

Again, that isn't a miss though. He got a hell of a player and again, you are coming down on a guy that had a 4 year run that is the stuff of wet dreams around here. 

He won them a Super Bowl.

Dude, I'd forgive Mike Brown's years of crap in the 90's in a second if this team won a Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:26 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Again, that isn't a miss though. He got a hell of a player and again, you are coming down on a guy that had a 4 year run that is the stuff of wet dreams around here. 

He won them a Super Bowl.

Dude, I'd forgive Mike Brown's years of crap in the 90's in a second if this team won a Super Bowl.

To me it is. QB is the most important position, and leaving a guy like Allen on the board when you have Case Keenum as your starter is a huge mistake, imo. If it was an AJ/Dalton situation where they ended finding a good QB anyway I would agree with you, but they didn’t. They still need one (I don’t think anyone is sold on Lock). Hell, they might even try to trade up next week.

They also could have taken Lamar. That’s 2 Pro Bowl QB’s (one an MVP) left on the board when they didn’t have a true starter. That’s kind of indefensible to me.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: To me it is. QB is the most important position, and leaving a guy like Allen on the board when you have Case Keenum as your starter is a huge mistake, imo. If it was an AJ/Dalton situation where they ended finding a good QB anyway I would agree with you, but they didn’t. They still need one (I don’t think anyone is sold on Lock). Hell, they might even try to trade up next week.

They also could have taken Lamar. That’s 2 Pro Bowl QB’s (one an MVP) left on the board when they didn’t have a true starter. That’s kind of indefensible to me.

Yet I return to the simple statement of... his moves took them to two Super Bowls and they won one of them.

And I was wrong, his first QB he drafted was Tebow, and he actually got more out of him then anyone else ever did, they beat the Steelers in a playoff game with a rookie Tebow under center...

And if you want to use Jackson to shit on Elway, you have to use it to shit on everyone that was a "draft expert" even they guys you are citing for your pro Chase agenda.

No one saw this coming from Jackson, and he actually regressed a good amount last season, so time will tell.

In the end, it is very simply. John Elway knows more about football and scouting talent then you or me. 

So does Munoz and Willie Anderson (especially Anderson who still runs a camp).

Oh.. fun fact, Willie said he saw potential in Ced and people laughed. Ced leaves here, gets new coaching, and is still playing in the NFL. So... again, going to say Willie sees things you don't and I don't.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yet I return to the simple statement of... his moves took them to two Super Bowls and they won one of them.

And I was wrong, his first QB he drafted was Tebow, and he actually got more out of him then anyone else ever did, they beat the Steelers in a playoff game with a rookie Tebow under center...

And if you want to use Jackson to shit on Elway, you have to use it to shit on everyone that was a "draft expert" even they guys you are citing for your pro Chase agenda.

No one saw this coming from Jackson, and he actually regressed a good amount last season, so time will tell.

In the end, it is very simply. John Elway knows more about football and scouting talent then you or me. 

So does Munoz and Willie Anderson (especially Anderson who still runs a camp).

Oh.. fun fact, Willie said he saw potential in Ced and people laughed. Ced leaves here, gets new coaching, and is still playing in the NFL. So... again, going to say Willie sees things you don't and I don't.

You’re officially reaching when you start defending drafting Tim Tebow. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just don't understand how anyone on this board who watched a single game last season can say WR is a bigger need then OL and be serious. WR is a need but we need a #3 guy after our top 2.

I also will never understand this, why anyone who posts on this board thinks they know more about the Bengals and the NFL and what it takes to succeed in the NFL, then Munoz, Willie Anderson, Tim McGee or Dave Lapham. 

Anyone who is saying we need to draft Chase, is also point blank saying "I know more about the NFL and what the Bengals need and what it takes to win then a Hall of Fame player." 

Let that sink in all you pro-Chase people.

[Image: tenor.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 11:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: tenor.png]

Hilarious Hilarious

Reply/Quote
After watching hours n hours of tape , I'm picking Team Slater ! Being home injured from work gave me This opportunity.. This guy looks like a 10 time pro bowler at left guard or maybe even tackle. You cant go wrong with either of the 3.
Reply/Quote