Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-22-2021, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just don't understand how anyone on this board who watched a single game last season can say WR is a bigger need then OL and be serious. WR is a need but we need a #3 guy after our top 2.

I also will never understand this, why anyone who posts on this board thinks they know more about the Bengals and the NFL and what it takes to succeed in the NFL, then Munoz, Willie Anderson, Tim McGee or Dave Lapham. 

Anyone who is saying we need to draft Chase, is also point blank saying "I know more about the NFL and what the Bengals need and what it takes to win then a Hall of Fame player." 

Let that sink in all you pro-Chase people.

Even if you think we need a WR1 (I don't, I want to give Higgins a shot to fill that role before dismissing him), it's still hard to argue WR is a bigger need than the line. So if the prospects are similar in rating and one fits a bigger need...seems like a no brainer to me.

And that's not even considering Higgins as a potential #1, which seems silly to me after 1 year. A pretty great year for a rook.

(04-22-2021, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, the Bengals will have great options to chose from but I definitely feel it's reasonable to think that any of them will not only make the team instantly better, but provide more help for Burrow in one way or another? I'm not sure how picking a side changes that fact. I know everyone has their own preference or idea about what the 'right choice' is, but that's all it is, IMO. It they take Sewell, they'll be able to find a weapon or 2 after the 1st round. If they take Chase or Pitts, they'll be able to find linemen after the 1st round. I just don't see it as an either/or thing like some do. Jerry

We're not going to agree and I'm just going to repeat myself on things I've already said countless times. Agree to disagree and hopefully you're not one of those people who get offended when people disagree with ya. Lord knows I'd have no friends on here if everyone I debated took it personally. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even if you think we need a WR1 (I don't, I want to give Higgins a shot to fill that role before dismissing him), it's still hard to argue WR is a bigger need than the line. So if the prospects are similar in rating and one fits a bigger need...seems like a no brainer to me.

And that's not even considering Higgins as a potential #1, which seems silly to me after 1 year. A pretty great year for a rook.

We're not going to agree and I'm just going to repeat myself on things I've already said countless times. Agree to disagree and hopefully you're not one of those people who get offended when people disagree with ya. Lord knows I'd have no friends on here if everyone I debated took it personally. LOL

I want Pitts...so there really isn't anyone to argue with.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I want Pitts...so there really isn't anyone to argue with.  Hilarious

Argue with the Falcons so they don't take him??

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When it comes to the #5 pick, Collinsworth said 'What I would do is do everything in my power to trade out of that position'. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 05:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to the #5 pick, Collinsworth said 'What I would do is do everything in my power to trade out of that position'. 

Honestly with the amount of needs we have, it is a good move. Especially if Pitts, Chase and Sewell are all there at 5 and Denver wants to move up from 9. Still have a chance at one of the big 3 names.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 05:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to the #5 pick, Collinsworth said 'What I would do is do everything in my power to trade out of that position'. 

I know a lot of people would hate that move, and we wouldn't get an "exciting" player...but it might be the best decision tbh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I want Pitts...so there really isn't anyone to argue with.  Hilarious

Well thats the Pitts! *

*warning read with caution, dad joke...
Reply/Quote
OL is a bigger need than WR.

That doesn't mean the first round pick must be OL. If we make these decisions without even attempting to project how a draft will play out to determine whether needs can be met at multiple possible picks, then it's good we're not GMs. I don't have any problem with them taking Chase as long as they address the OL at #38. If they don't do that then I will join everyone in yelling at clouds.
Reply/Quote

Personally, I think he's just skirting the question. He knows his PFF analytics nerds have gone all-in on Chase, while his professional peers can't fathom anyone other than an OL. Even as a former WR, he's kinda stuck in the middle like a kid during divorce proceedings. "Trade out!" lol
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 05:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know a lot of people would hate that move, and we wouldn't get an "exciting" player...but it might be the best decision tbh.

It's so tempting. I would do it, because it would presumably allow you to get a first-round grade at both positions (Jenkins and Marshall, for example), and then allow you to go BPA sooner than expected and improve the team without paying any mind to the "Civil War" lol. Humphrey, Jamin Davis, Perkins, Phillips, Oweh are all quality names that could slip through the cracks that would be hard to land otherwise imo. 

* Btw, I would also add Maurice Jones-Drew to your Team Sewell list. It's technically a mock, but still a pretty strong statement from a former player.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I just don't understand how anyone on this board who watched a single game last season can say WR is a bigger need then OL and be serious. WR is a need but we need a #3 guy after our top 2.

I also will never understand this, why anyone who posts on this board thinks they know more about the Bengals and the NFL and what it takes to succeed in the NFL, then Munoz, Willie Anderson, Tim McGee or Dave Lapham. 

Anyone who is saying we need to draft Chase, is also point blank saying "I know more about the NFL and what the Bengals need and what it takes to win then a Hall of Fame player." 

Let that sink in all you pro-Chase people.

By this logic I guess Denver fans should never question Elway when it comes to his decision making (especially on QB’s).

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: By this logic I guess Denver fans should never question Elway when it comes to his decision making (especially on QB’s).

Willie Anderson had a truckload of praise for Ogbuehi when he was brought in.

Paul Alexander thought ol' Og was the cat's meow and could play any position on the line and start day one.

The guy studied film extensively and still took that mess in the draft.

My point is yes.  Even great past players and NFL O-line coaches can fail on a pick they are so sure of.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 06:57 PM)tms Wrote: Personally, I think he's just skirting the question. He knows his PFF analytics nerds have gone all-in on Chase, while his professional peers can't fathom anyone other than an OL. Even as a former WR, he's kinda stuck in the middle like a kid during divorce proceedings. "Trade out!" lol

Not really. In the Burrow interview, he said he would probably take Chase. In the Hobson interview, he also said:

'Do they need what Chase would bring them as one of the greatest deep threats we've ever seen in college football? Yeah. And, oh, by the way, the guy who was throwing him the ball is the one that is going to throw it to him.'

'Would I love that? Yeah.'

'But would I prefer that Joe stay alive for a year in which he's going to be playing on a bad leg? Yeah. Honestly, if I ran the Bengals and I was making that decision and you have to throw Pitts into that decision, it's really hard. And they may have the choice of all three.'

'I'm worried they have three tackles at that point, and moving Sewell to guard, I'm worried about that because I want to keep him developing.'

So, while he leans Chase, he also thinks trading out would be the best move. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:08 PM)tms Wrote: It's so tempting. I would do it, because it would presumably allow you to get a first-round grade at both positions (Jenkins and Marshall, for example), and then allow you to go BPA sooner than expected and improve the team without paying any mind to the "Civil War" lol. Humphrey, Jamin Davis, Perkins, Phillips, Oweh are all quality names that could slip through the cracks that would be hard to land otherwise imo. 

* Btw, I would also add Maurice Jones-Drew to your Team Sewell list. It's technically a mock, but still a pretty strong statement from a former player.

MJD also had the Bengals passing on Burrow last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to touch on this real quick too, because I've seen more people saying it. It's not so much that they need a 'speedy' receiver. There are a lot of speedy guys in this draft, but a lot of them are best suited for the slot. The Bengals need a legit outside receiver, who is also fast enough to at least make defenses respect his vertical game. They don't currently have a true outside receiver to play opposite Higgins. With the amount of 11 personnel that Zac will likely be running again, that's a problem. 

Terrace Marshall and Anthony Schwartz both fit the description of a fast, deep threat that can stretch the field as a Z receiver.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: MJD also had the Bengals passing on Burrow last year.

Respectfully, that has nothing to do with anything. I'm not talking about it's the right or wrong pick, let alone implying that everyone on Team Sewell embodies perfection and has never made a mistake lol. 

You'll get your guy. Don't worry about it.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 07:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not really. In the Burrow interview, he said he would probably take Chase. In the Hobson interview, he also said:

'Do they need what Chase would bring them as one of the greatest deep threats we've ever seen in college football? Yeah. And, oh, by the way, the guy who was throwing him the ball is the one that is going to throw it to him.'

'Would I love that? Yeah.'

'But would I prefer that Joe stay alive for a year in which he's going to be playing on a bad leg? Yeah. Honestly, if I ran the Bengals and I was making that decision and you have to throw Pitts into that decision, it's really hard. And they may have the choice of all three.'

'I'm worried they have three tackles at that point, and moving Sewell to guard, I'm worried about that because I want to keep him developing.'

So, while he leans Chase, he also thinks trading out would be the best move. 

I listened to it like you did. Probably before you did. And at one point I think he said, "I don't think I'm breaking any rules/news by saying (the OL needed a lot of work last year)". It was an interesting exchange. The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like he had been coached. You could cut the tension with a knife. 

For that matter, he brought up Sewell and Pitts but didn't ask Joe to comment on either of them. Just kind of moved right along with a bout of nervous laughter each time. It was interesting.

Above all, until he explicitly takes a position for one over the others, I can't count him in with everyone else. Housh, Hue, McGee, Lapham, Munoz, Willie, Jones-Drew, have all been pretty clear. Everyone else has been relatively cryptic about it to this point, including Collinsworth. You might wonder why that is, but I think we know. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Terrace Marshall and Anthony Schwartz both fit the description of a fast, deep threat that can stretch the field as a Z receiver.

The Bengals have stated very clearly that they want a 'true outside receiver' that can win on the boundaries, as well as stretch the field. 

Marshall would fit that description, but apparently there are now some medical concerns that could cause him to fall, as reported by Daniel Jeremiah and confirmed by Dane Brugler. That will have to be able to be sorted out over the next few days.

As far as Scwartz, he's definitely fast...but he still needs work and some good coaching. He's not a guy you're going to rely on right away as a dependable boundary receiver, because physical corners are going to give him issues. He'll probably get quite a few snaps in the slot to start his career, to try to capitalize in his speed and change of direction, while he continues to develop his overall game.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 08:14 PM)tms Wrote: I listened to it like you did. Probably before you did. And at one point I think he said, "I don't think I'm breaking any rules/news by saying (the OL needed a lot of work last year)". It was an interesting exchange. The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like he had been coached. You could cut the tension with a knife. 

For that matter, he brought up Sewell and Pitts but didn't ask Joe to comment on either of them. Just kind of moved right along with a bout of nervous laughter each time. It was interesting.

Above all, until he explicitly takes a position for one over the others, I can't count him in with everyone else. Housh, Hue, McGee, Lapham, Munoz, Willie, Jones-Drew, have all been pretty clear. Everyone else has been relatively cryptic about it to this point, including Collinsworth. You might wonder why that is, but I think we know. 

Why does he have to take an explicit stand one way or another? I don't understand this fascination. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 08:08 PM)tms Wrote: Respectfully, that has nothing to do with anything. I'm not talking about it's the right or wrong pick, let alone implying that everyone on Team Sewell embodies perfection and has never made a mistake lol. 

You'll get your guy. Don't worry about it.

I doubt it. My guy is Kyle Pitts Sad ...but I'll be ecstatic with Sewell or Chase as well.
Reply/Quote