Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andre Smith returns
Perhaps he can help ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: I never thought I'd say this but hopefully he's packed on some weight. I think I like big Andre a little better than slim Andre.

I like big Andre for the run game. But I dont like big Andre pass blocking against good speedy de's/olb's.

edit: this is assuming he would be playing T, not G.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
At least the line that was absolutely horrendous last year will look drastically different next season.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Can Andre play RG or LT? If so, this is a great move instead of just a solid/okay move.

Well he was the best LT in the Nation when he came out, but I think he struggles with speed. The right side of the Oline is where he belongs. Who knows, maybe he can provide the extra benefit of helping Jake and Ced in the Locker room. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not sure how I feel about this move.  On one hand, we're bringing back a known commodity to the team.  Yay, I guess... 

On the other hand, we're now 3 deep at RT.  I really cannot imagine that all 3 are on the opening day roster.  Going to be an interesting training camp and preseason.  Not to mention, Andre has had his good moments, but this is also a guy that has spent about half of his pro career out with injury..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure how I feel about this move.  On one hand, we're bringing back a known commodity to the team.  Yay, I guess... 

On the other hand, we're now 3 deep at RT.  I really cannot imagine that all 3 are on the opening day roster.  Going to be an interesting training camp and preseason.  Not to mention, Andre has had his good moments, but this is also a guy that has spent about half of his pro career out with injury..

Fwiw, Andre, Fisher and Winston were all on the team in 2015 also. I know they were tinkering with Fisher at TE then, but still.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully an improvement over last year. That said, he was iffy in 2015, and hurt in 2016. Not sure if they are going to get the hurt/crappy Smith, or the good motivated one. Odds aren't great when looking at his career overall.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with this move.

We desperately needed offensive linemen.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, Andre, Fisher and Winston were all on the team in 2015 also. I know they were tinkering with Fisher at TE then, but still.

Hmm, maybe we're going back to the extra T at TE, like we ran on the regular in '09?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, maybe we're going back to the extra T at TE, like we ran on the regular in '09?

That was the last time Cincinnati had a great run game.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he was the best LT in the Nation when he came out, but I think he struggles with speed. The right side of the Oline is where he belongs. Who knows, maybe he can provide the extra benefit of helping Jake and Ced in the Locker room. 

This much is certain, it sure as hell can't hurt to have him around, just would feel better if they went out to fill one of the gaping holes on this team like LT or RG or even C, versus getting another guy to play at a spot that is...weak, but may improve with more reps. 

Good news is, they at least signed someone who does know how to actually block.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: At least the line that was absolutely horrendous last year will look drastically different next season.

If the Bengals really want a better offensive line, free agent left tackles Ryan Clady and Jake Long are still there for the taking. So is center Nick Mangold...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That was the last time Cincinnati had a great run game.

Wait...maybe this is the plan!

Win a Super Bowl with a Raven like record setting defense. They'll sign Minter and Barwin and draft Foster and go with nothing but heavy sets to run the ball on offense while letting the defense shut down other teams.....

wait, that would mean that Marvin and Mikey actually had a plan....nevermind, just carry on. 

A good run game would be nice though.

Reply/Quote
Should be a good presence in the run game. It will be interesting to see who wins the starting dibs between him and fisher. And how are they going to use Winston now? Man, PA will have his hands full.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:34 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This much is certain, it sure as hell can't hurt to have him around, just would feel better if they went out to fill one of the gaping holes on this team like LT or RG or even C, versus getting another guy to play at a spot that is...weak, but may improve with more reps. 

Good news is, they at least signed someone who does know how to actually block.

I think this allows Jake and Ced to battles it out for LT.

Both Jke and Ced have prototypical LT size; while neither is the hoss we need at RT. I think we may have just created a battle at LT, while Winston is the first guy off the bench. We go RG or C in the draft and I'd roll with it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, maybe we're going back to the extra T at TE, like we ran on the regular in '09?

I think you may be on to something. Hobs did mention that we would emphasize the run this year to help a rebuilding line, ala 2009.

We could also go back to using an extra T at TE. Fisher would be the obvious candidate.

I wouldn't be a fan of this though, tbh. It limits what the offense can do passing, and makes the offense more predictable. It'd also be yet another repeat of things we've done in the past...and we all know how the past turned out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with it.  I always thought I liked Andre better than most on here, so I glad to see him back.  But I'm thinking he might get a pretty good look at right guard. Playing guard would eliminate a lot of Andre's problems with outside speed, and nobody's gonna bull rush him.  I also thought Fisher showed some possibility of holding down the right tackle job with a full training camp under him.

Anyway, they'll sort it all out in training camp, and see who goes where. Even if this shores up the right side, there's still a lot to be solved on the left.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this allows Jake and Ced to battles it out for LT.

Both Jke and Ced have prototypical LT size; while neither is the hoss we need at RT. I think we may have just created a battle at LT, while Winston is the first guy off the bench. We go RG or C in the draft and I'd roll with it. 

As long as we get 5 guys out there who can block for the running game and also be able to give Dalton a little bit of time to get the ball to AJ, Boyd, Core, Eifert and LaFell I'm good with it regardless of where they came from or were drafted. 

I just hope Andre is healthy and ready to play.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That was the last time Cincinnati had a great run game.

We racked up ground yards that year because that's pretty much all we did, but we only ranked 24th in yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
Meh.

He was apparently over weight and lazy his last year here. Bad mouthed the team. Injury prone. Was actually pretty bad last year.

I don't really see this as any real contribution or step forward. We're in the same spot we were yesterday.

Kind of see it as the Gilberry signing. Something we're familiar with. Adds little to nothing we don't already have.

Meh.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote