Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andre Smith returns
(03-15-2017, 11:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I see your Williams and boling and raise you a Zeitler, Steinbach, Mathis... 

Latter group > former Group

Okay, I 100% agree that if Big Dre plays well enough to be paid like the top OG in the entire league then we probably will not sign him.

Don't know what Mathis has to do with any of this.  he plaued so poorly in 2010 that he had to settle for a league minimum contract.
Reply/Quote
According to Hobson he's getting a shot at guard.
Reply/Quote
Glad to have Dre/any vet on the line. So I just read the latest puff piece on Andre's return and I couldn't help but chuckle...
Apparently, he's here to play RG. This comes on the heels of losing the big two, and after a week of reading how Westerman was the answer. Well, after a week of Hobspinning; otherwise known as blatantly towing the company line and twisting the truth, apparently they don't think Westerman is the guy for the job.

Typical Bengals FO/press BS. Piss down our backs, then tell us it's raining.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think smith kicks inside to Rg while Fisher stays on the outside. Fisher made a big deal of not jumping around positions and staying RT.

Feel the same. Fisher should stay at RT where he fits better with his athleticism.

I think Andre could make a fine RG with his size and run blocking. Need strength at Guard.

I also agree with the poster who said i hope he is not slimmed down like he was the year before he left.

That hurt him it seemed, he needs a bit of weight on him.

Edit, btw nothing against Westerman but he might need another year before he is ready to start.

I believe this was the right move.
Reply/Quote
Good thing

That line that sucked so hard is different.

Yeah the 2 best guys left but we still got Boling

lol im so Bengalized

Nvm guys I cant twist this shit good
Reply/Quote
The fact that this is a good move shows you just how bad this team is.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 09:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think you may be on to something. Hobs did mention that we would emphasize the run this year to help a rebuilding line, ala 2009.

We could also go back to using an extra T at TE. Fisher would be the obvious candidate.

I wouldn't be a fan of this though, tbh. It limits what the offense can do passing, and makes the offense more predictable. It'd also be yet another repeat of things we've done in the past...and we all know how the past turned out.
Doesn't Marvy say this every year??? Look how well that has worked out. Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The fact that this is a good move shows you just how bad this team is.

Exactly. Andre was being roasted by NFL media during TC because he didn't look good. They said his pass blocking looked worse than his time here and that he wasn't a mauler in the run game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 12:34 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Glad to have Dre/any vet on the line. So I just read the latest puff piece on Andre's return and I couldn't help but chuckle...
Apparently, he's here to play RG. This comes on the heels of losing the big two, and after a week of reading how Westerman was the answer. Well, after a week of Hobspinning; otherwise known as blatantly towing the company line and twisting the truth, apparently they don't think Westerman is the guy for the job.

Typical Bengals FO/press BS. Piss down our backs, then tell us it's raining.

I don;t think you understand this signing.. with the lose of two major pieces in line.. bring back someone that knows the system, played well and gives them a veteran flexibility to play both guard and tackle especially with youth linemen
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:53 PM)Derrick Wrote: Doesn't Marvy say this every year??? Look how well that has worked out. Sad

Maybe emphasize the run or stressing the run means Andy is told to say it louder and to really anunciate it in the huddle. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 07:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think you understand this signing.. with the lose of two major pieces in line.. bring back someone that knows the system, played well and gives them a veteran flexibility to play both guard and tackle especially with youth linemen

Lol... I understand it quite well, but thanks for enlightening me. If he can use his lower body it was a good signing. I'm all for it.  Perhaps you should re-evaluate what was written in my post, specifically the first sentence.
Reply/Quote
Not excited. Lame move but I guess they did something. Get to work fatass and keep Andy from getting killed.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 08:09 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Lol... I understand it quite well, but thanks for enlightening me. If he can use his lower body it was a good signing. I'm all for it.  Perhaps you should re-evaluate what was written in my post, specifically the first sentence.

You are welcome for the enlightenment.. any time  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, we will let him go instead of re-signing him just like we did with Clint Boling and Bobbie Williams.

Er, wait,

Never mind.

Andre Smith is closer to Zeitler than Boling or Williams. Boling is a solid guard, but a later round pick. Williams was a journeymen, who found a comfortable place and liked the locker room vibe here.

Smith, is a former first round pick (like Zeitler) who has no problem leaving this team. (Like Zeitler since both already have.) Smith is looking to turn this one year contract into a rebound and a chance to make big $$$ again, which the Bengals won't pay to a guard.

If Smith is really successful and stays healthy, he will price himself out of Cincinnati. If he fails and can't stay healthy, he won't be brought back. If he does so/so, he can be retained cheaply and really isn't the solution.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
When he got drafted...there were some reports that he could project as an all pro guard because of his size and might struggle at Tackle.

Who knows? He has the size.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure we're gonna plug Andre at RG and it'll probably work pretty well.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Andre will probably hold up okay at RG, and I even think Fisher will turn out okay at RT. Sadly we still have the horrid Bodine at C and Ogbuehi was a catastrophe last season so unless we see one of the most dramatic improvements from one season to the next in a player in NFL history LT is in deep trouble.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:17 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Per Adam Schefter. It's for one year, so not a big investment here.
Resigning Kirkpatrick and Lafell and a few days later resigning Andre Smith who we lost last March, I like it.  Lets face it Zeitler now the highest paid guard ever in NFL history is just more Cleveland stupidity.  Whitworth was offered too much by the LA Rams.  Let me make it simple, I do NOT blame them for taking the money.  Zeitler and Whitworth just became very rich and their families, their kids can not only go to college but buy the college.  Burkhead also gone I hear and Hunt and Peko gone.   Andre Smith shows players can leave and come back, so who knows.  Even Boomer Esiason left and came back.  Harrison came here a year and went right back to Steelers.  I like adding Smith back and keeping Kirkpatrick and Lafell.  Kirkpatrick when Pacman goes to jail and/or suspended by NFL in 2017, Kirky adds some experience to other top picks Dennard and Jackson.  NFL QBs would have destroyed their inexperience all season.  I'm very happy Smith also brought back.  I'm ready for the draft.

Once we have the draft, more people are going to be positive than negative. We are set to have a HUGE draft.  We have a top D Line and the makings for a top secondary. We have a top and often Pro Bowl veteran QB throwing to some of the top pass catchers in the game.  The Bengals will be looking to RB, blocking and linebackers to tackle with their early and often draft picks. 

Our biggest weakness in 2016 was kicker.  Can we get somebody in 2017 that can make an extra point. Is it asking too much for a big star NFL guy to make an extra point.  My word, there are high school kids that could do it.  Bengals lost games in 2016 due to missed extra points. THAT HAS TO STOP.  I suggest Bengals coaches find a kicker who can make the new NFL extra point, and this guy has to practice it over and over all Spring and Summer until he can make these in his sleep. That's all free throws and bunting are, and extra points, Practice, Practice, Practice.  Probably why most pro baseball players can't bunt, in practice they swing for the fences, never bunt. A missed bunt, missed free throw, missed extra point are beneath what is expected of a paid athlete.  In 2017 Bengals need to make the extra point automatic points again. That or get crazy good at going for 2.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
only strategy for next year that makes sense

load up on defense with a couple of FAs and top 2 picks in draft and plan to play an extremely conservative, no turn over offense like the first Ravens Super Bowl team

Foster and Burfict could be a really dynamic linebacker situation.  We also need a third down edge rusher and maybe Barwick can fill that role.

I think taking a RB with one of first two picks will be a complete waste with our current o line.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 09:47 AM)bengals67 Wrote: only strategy for next year that makes sense

load up on defense with a couple of FAs and top 2 picks in draft and plan to play an extremely conservative, no turn over offense like the first Ravens Super Bowl team

Foster and Burfict could be a really dynamic linebacker situation.  We also need a third down edge rusher and maybe Barwick can fill that role.

I think taking a RB with one of first two picks will be a complete waste with our current o line.

So I like this plan.

Adding Fournette and playing ball control would be great too.
Reply/Quote