Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Whitworth named all pro
I guess I'm on my own island here, but Whit is the one player I really hold a grudge against for leaving. The Bengals made him a wealthy man, and offered him the same money the Rams did for one year, just not a 3 year deal..... and at his age that is not unreasonable. He could have stayed and protected Andy, and if his play did not decline, he could have been resigned year to year.... because we all know Marvin won't give younger players a chance, right??? He was one of my favorite Bengals, but since he left, I hope he's one and done again. I don't blame guys like Zeitler for leaving, because the Bengals would never have matched the offer Cleveland gave him. Cincy did for Whit. No loyalty.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 10:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess I'm on my own island here, but Whit is the one player I really hold a grudge against for leaving. The Bengals made him a wealthy man, and offered him the same money the Rams did for one year, just not a 3 year deal..... and at his age that is not unreasonable. He could have stayed and protected Andy, and if his play did not decline, he could have been resigned year to year.... because we all know Marvin won't give younger players a chance, right??? He was one of my favorite Bengals, but since he left, I hope he's one and done again. I don't blame guys like Zeitler for leaving, because the Bengals would never have matched the offer Cleveland gave him. Cincy did for Whit. No loyalty.

So if I offered you a job with a longer contract and more guaranteed money to work in Los Angeles you would prefer a one year contract for less guaranteed money to work in Cincinnati?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 08:06 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: All I can say is why didn't he play that well when he was with the Bengals?

It's his first All Pro award in all his years so why did it take him this long to get there?

Answer - Paul Alexander

Let's just hope with a new OLine Coach, the Bengals will be better now.

It's not his first All Pro nod.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Sorry to say, looks like Whit is still 0-fer in the playoffs. Was really hoping his team would get the win.

On another note, how about that bozo that burned his Bengal gear, and proclaimed himself to now be a Rams fan?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I still think it was a smarter idea to pay dre k instead of whit. We need to depth at CB more than LT.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:27 AM)ah5 Wrote: I still think it was a smarter idea to pay dre k instead of whit.  We need to depth at CB more than LT.

Right.  Let the all pro tackle go to keep ced, who is awful, and overpay dre, who is also awful.  We have depth at CB, we have turnstiles at ot.
Reply/Quote
Well, at least he’s used to it...

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, at least he’s used to it...

he set a record because of it...player with the most playoff appearances without a win

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:27 AM)ah5 Wrote: I still think it was a smarter idea to pay dre k instead of whit.  We need to depth at CB more than LT.

This might be the dumbest thing I've heard all year..
Reply/Quote
Despite the fact that Whitworth was and is a good player I still can't bring myself to hope former Bengals success elsewhere. Once they move on I still hope they fall off the face of the earth..regardless of which team they go to..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Regardless of who goes to the pro bowl it's still just a beauty contest not necessarily indicative of their position prowess in most cases and certainly not a game that matters a gnats anus.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:27 AM)ah5 Wrote: I still think it was a smarter idea to pay dre k instead of whit. We need to depth at CB more than LT.

This may literally be the dumbest post I've seen on this board. Any CB could have played as poor as Dre while adding depth. We let a quality player go that weakened an already weak line, but hey we have a lot of average corners. Wtf
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:35 PM)McC Wrote: Congratulation, Whit.  Five years too late is better than never.

But he didn’t get his first victory which I find very amusing. I agree Whit being very good and the Bengals missed him. However during his first two years of his career he refused to play anything other than left tackle regardless what the team needs were at the time. I always thought Whit only did this because of his future salary for up coming contract negotiations. That has never sat well with me and I still have the opinion Whit is more me first than team oriented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:24 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So if I offered you a job with a longer contract and more guaranteed money to work in Los Angeles you would prefer a one year contract for less guaranteed money to work in Cincinnati?

If my current employer had paid me 100 million dollars, and my family was set for generations, then yeah, I'd probably show some loyalty to them..... it's not like they didn't match the one year deal, and it's not like Whit couldn't have played year to year because he was on the front end of his career and needed to make his money. He's on the back end, and already has his family set. And that's just my opinion, I don't expect you to share it...
Reply/Quote

(01-07-2018, 03:01 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This might be the dumbest thing I've heard all year..

Only dumb because the team was clear they had every intention of paying both.  They made it clear they would cut people if necessary to clear space to re-sign both Kirkpatrick and Whitworth.

For the umteenth time, Whitworth did not leave because of the money.  He left because he was mad the team allowed him to go to free agency in the first place.  To him that meant the team was not serious about him being in their future plans, otherwise they would have re-upped before the contract expired.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 10:04 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: But he didn’t get his first victory which I find very amusing.  I agree Whit being very good and the Bengals missed him.  However during his first two years of his career he refused to play anything other than left tackle regardless what the team needs were at the time.  I always thought Whit only did this because of his future salary for up coming contract  negotiations.  That has never sat well with me and I still have the opinion Whit is more me first than team oriented.

What in the hell are you talking about?!?!?!

He started at LG in his second NFL game because of injury.  Then when Steinbach left at the conclusion of Whit's rookie season, he took over at LG until 2009.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry to say, looks like Whit is still 0-fer in the playoffs.  Was really hoping his team would get the win.

On another note, how about that bozo that burned his Bengal gear, and proclaimed himself to now be a Rams fan?

Some would say Whitt was the playoff cancer. He does have a worse record in the playoffs than ML I do believe.  Smirk   Sad
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 02:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Some would say Whitt was the playoff cancer. He does have a worse record in the playoffs than ML I do believe.  Smirk   Sad

Whit and Marv have same postseason record, 0-7.  He does now have the dubious distinction of being the only NFL player to be 0-7 in postseason action.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What in the hell are you talking about?!?!?!

He started at LG in his second NFL game because of injury.  Then when Steinbach left at the conclusion of Whit's rookie season, he took over at LG until 2009.

The Bengals wanted him to play guard his first two years and he wouldn’t. This in the hell I am talking about. Many times the team wanted him to move to guard and he wouldn’t

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 10:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess I'm on my own island here, but Whit is the one player I really hold a grudge against for leaving. The Bengals made him a wealthy man, and offered him the same money the Rams did for one year, just not a 3 year deal..... and at his age that is not unreasonable. He could have stayed and protected Andy, and if his play did not decline, he could have been resigned year to year.... because we all know Marvin won't give younger players a chance, right??? He was one of my favorite Bengals, but since he left, I hope he's one and done again. I don't blame guys like Zeitler for leaving, because the Bengals would never have matched the offer Cleveland gave him. Cincy did for Whit. No loyalty.

I don't really begrudge Whit for taking the money.  He made a business decision.  The Bengals made a business decision when they decided they didn't want to commit for that long when they already thought they had his replacement.  Whit had a good year, but I don't think there was much doubt that he wouldn't be good this year on the Bengals' end.  It was the next two they were worried about.  The decision got magnified by the fact that Og didn't play up to expectations.

My issue is with people who say that the Bengals should have basically written Whit a blank check to stay out of loyalty to him.  Those people are way off base.  All of your points are correct, and if anyone should have shown loyalty, it was Whit.  
Reply/Quote