Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.17 Average
Andy Dalton is a Quitter
(04-30-2020, 02:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who wished Maualuga was dead?

Hey, I tried selling or trading him on eBay, but I never wished him dead.  Tongue
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  Everything we know indicates he would.

Last year when he was benched for Finley he still said he would help Ryan anyway he could.

https://www.bengals.com/video/bengalsweekly

I think asking to be traded or released rather than be Burrow’s back up indicates he didn’t want to be Burrow’s back up.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is only required to play for the Bengals UNTIL THEY TERMINATE HIS CONTRACT.

He 100% fulfilled everything required of him in his contract.  The only reason he is not with the team is because THEY released him.

They terminated his contract because he asked them to terminate his contract. Why? Because he didn’t want to play for them any longer if he couldn’t be the starter. And he didn’t even try to be the starter. He begged out. If you beg out of your contract rather complete it then you didn’t honor the full terms of the contract. His contract required him to play for the Bengals this season. Did he? No. Why not? He told them he didn’t want to.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people are bashing Andy for not playing for the Bengals even after they terminated his contract.

LOL

I think it is more about his desire to not play for the Bengals any longer than this red herring.
Reply/Quote
Dalton asked to be released. That means he did not want to keep doing his job as best as he can. He wanted to take his services elsewhere.

Dalton wanted to be traded last year when he was benched. That's not a team player who is thinking about the team. That is someone thinking about his own well being more than the team.

He also stated that fans that want the Dolphins to win are not true fans. He knew that if we won that game we probably would not have picked first and got Burrow. That means he was fine with us not getting a much better qb in the draft and improving the team substantially. That doesn't sound like a team first player to me.

Dalton is a me first individual and team second. I won't say he's a quitter but he certainly is not some team first guy who only thinks about the team and not himself.

He should have been sent packing 5 years ago after 4 straight horrible playoff performances and numerous chokes in prime time. I'm just glad he's finally gone and we can start a new era with a far better qb. At least we now have a chance to win a Superbowl. With Dalton we had no chance to win a Superbowl.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because he was never offered that option?

You know that for a fact? Or you’re not making that up because you never do that?

Let me gat this straight, you’re suggesting Mike Brown didn’t want to pay a player less? The thought never crossed his mind? In this scenario of trying to fit Dalton’s salary under the cap no one thought of the possibility of re-signing Dalton to a more team friendly deal? Seriously? That’s your argument?

Dalton is the best back up that the team can hope to get at this point. And you’re suggesting the front office couldn’t figure out a way to reduce his cap hit?

Or are you suggesting the team wanted a shittier option as a back up QB and that’s why the team didn’t offer to pay him less?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:15 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Dalton asked to be released. That means he did not want to keep doing his job as best as he can. He wanted to take his services elsewhere.

Dalton wanted to be traded last year when he was benched. That's not a team player who is thinking about the team. That is someone thinking about his own well being more than the team.

He also stated that fans that want the Dolphins to win are not true fans. He knew that if we won that game we probably would not have picked first and got Burrow. That means he was fine with us not getting a much better qb in the draft and improving the team substantially. That doesn't sound like a team first player to me.

Dalton is a me first individual and team second. I won't say he's a quitter but he certainly is not some team first guy who only thinks about the team and not himself.

He should have been sent packing 5 years ago after 4 straight horrible playoff performances and numerous chokes in prime time.  I'm just glad he's finally gone and we can start a new era with a far better qb. At least we now have a chance to win a  Superbowl. With Dalton we had no chance to win a Superbowl.

That comment really rubbed me the wrong way.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:15 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Dalton asked to be released. That means he did not want to keep doing his job as best as he can. He wanted to take his services elsewhere.

He should have been sent packing 5 years ago after 4 straight horrible playoff performances and numerous chokes in prime time.  I'm just glad he's finally gone and we can start a new era with a far better qb. At least we now have a chance to win a  Superbowl. With Dalton we had no chance to win a Superbowl.
WhoDey2 So, do you think that Dalton played balls out in that Miami game, scoring 16 pts in the final 29 seconds, knowing that If the Bengals won he'd have a better chance of sticking here this year... Hmm  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Where's that damn Price is Right fail horn when you need it?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 07:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals may have been good with that idea, but why would Andy want to stick around and hold a clipboard for the next 3-4 years, when he could control where he goes instead and at least try to land a starting job with somewhere else? It wouldn't make any sense from Andy's perspective...which is why I don't think that was ever a realistic option.

That’s what team players do, right? Put the team first.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 07:33 PM)jason Wrote: The general consensus of this message board for the last 5 years: I'm tired of supporting an organization that isn't committed to winning. They don't have a GM. They don't spend in free agency. There's no indoor practice facility. I'm not going to another game, or buying merchandise until they do.

Carson Palmer after 7 seasons as a Bengal: Hey Mike Brown... I'm tired of getting my nose splattered during preseason games. You think maybe we could bring in some outside help to help push us past the 2 perennial contenders in our division?... Maybe get one of those practice bubbles I had in college?... Cause I'm thinking if not, I might just not wanna be here anymore.

It's been ten years. I'm willing to forgive and forget for someone doing the same thing many of us have.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
Boomer Esiason asked the Bengals to trade him, he's a quitter! Ken Anderson? He retired! Quitter! This is about as low as it gets around here.....my goodness, the dude is gone. People get their wish, and they're bitching and trashing the guy. Let it go....lol. Do you people realize how often this happens in professional sports? Hell, in real life when someone gets skipped for a promotion/raise? This is borderline insane!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:17 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: F all this mess.  I'm a bit drunk and going to watch an older cheesy movie from 1986 "Delta Force" with Chuck Norris on Amazon Prime.   Have not watched it again in decades.  If Chuck Norris had coached Andy Dalton, Andy would have lead the league in passing yards and touchdowns his entire career and won 9 Super Bowls with no career interceptions.   If Chuck Norris was a kicker for the Bengals he would make 75 yard field goals with no shoes on.   Wink

Whatever, I'm just going to watch this damn movie and then sleep

Came here after watching game 2 of the 90 World Series, wish I had stayed for Access Reds...lol 

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:57 PM)Trademark Wrote: This thread is trash but I’m pretty sure you are trolling. These are two different scenarios entirely. The Bengals drafted Andy’s replacement. Andy was nothing but a class act. This thread needs locked.

Finley? Because Dalton asked for a trade back in October when teams were still tanking for Tua.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:13 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: We're better than this.

Andy Dalton gave everything he had to this team, as did Dre K BTW.

And both of them contributed alot to the Cincy community.

Both of their performances fell off. There were many contributing factors, but none of them related to the heart or character of these two men.

It was time for a partial rebuild. In Andy's case, we had a chance to draft the most promising young QB since Andrew Luck. We couldn't not do it.

From my understanding, he wanted to be released because nobody was willing to trade for him and take on that salary. He wanted the chance to go find a starting job. Mike obliged him.

Thank you Andy Dalton (and AJ Green) for saving this franchise from the humiliation that Carson Palmer subjected us to. Even with a shortened pre-season, the rookie Dalton led this team to the playoffs the year Palmer quit.

I'll never forget the comeback win against Buffalo. Or the Green Bay game in the Jungle. Or the 4th qtr wins in Baltimore and Atlanta. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

Andy Dalton might have become mediocre, but he never gave up. Not ever.

Strangely, I don’t feel humiliated because Palmer tried and failed to make Mike Brown a better GM by risking his career.
Reply/Quote
Carson = Quitter
Dalton = Somebody I want to thank for all he did in stripes, no complaints about how he conducted himself at all.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 01:19 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Strangely, I don’t feel humiliated because Palmer tried and failed to make Mike Brown a better GM by risking his career.

Two words
[Image: chad-ochocinco.jpg]
guess what they are
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:56 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Two words
[Image: chad-ochocinco.jpg]  
guess what they are

Just testing your Bengals history   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 01:31 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Carson = Quitter
Dalton  = Somebody I want to thank for all he did in stripes, no complaints about how he conducted himself at all.

Interesting how similar actions can be viewed based on perception....

Carson = Did his quitting in a very public way, shaming the org in an effort to force change for the good to win.

Dalton: Did his quitting behind closed doors (other than the 1 or 2 interviews) in an effort to force change and influence his own playing time for personal gain.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals organization made it clear, in a very classy way, they were going a different direction and Andy would not be the starting QB here any longer. Dalton asked, in a very classy way, to be released or traded to a place where he could still start. There were no barbs thrown either way. This whole "Andy is a quitter" narrative is ridiculously stupid and we are all now dumber for having read it.
Reply/Quote