Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Andy Dalton is for real
(09-13-2016, 03:27 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He didn't slow down. He turned his hips to look for the ball and so he has an easier time to catch it. You don't know what you're talking about.

Right, I forgot. Professional wide receivers have to slow down and turn around to catch the football. The fabled over the shoulder deep ball is just something off in fantasy land that I completely made up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:35 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Doesn't matter if I'm a college coach or a armchair coach because you're wrong on this issue and I'm right. LaFell didn't slow down at all and he turned his hips to fight with the defender and catch the ball.

He wouldn't have to "fight with the defender" if the ball was thrown in front of him. You can't be serious right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:37 AM)treee Wrote: He wouldn't have to "fight with the defender" if the ball was thrown in front of him. You can't seriously be this dense. 

He wouldn't have to fight with the defender if he was faster. The defender was on his ass and that's why he did that. The ball was in a place where the defender couldn't get it and where LaFell didn't have to break stride and easily catch it. The ball wasn't underthrown, and LaFell didn't break stride.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:43 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He wouldn't have to fight with the defender if he was faster. The defender was on his ass and that's why he did that. The ball was in a place where the defender couldn't get it and where LaFell didn't have to break stride and easily catch it. The ball wasn't underthrown, and LaFell didn't break stride.

He was faster than the defender. That is why he was behind him. Double moves can get you past faster DBs but this is 49 yards down field we are talking about here. He was just straight up faster. All I am saying is that if the ball was even just a yard or two further, he could have caught it without having to turn his hips and he very well could have taken it to the house. I wouldn't go so far as to say the ball was underthrown, Brownshoe. I was just saying that Andy has more potential that he can build on. Listen, we both love the Bengals and we both want them to win. Obviously we aren't going to agree here so I say we just lay it to rest and move on. I'm sorry for being a jerk but I love football and I consider myself a student of the game and when you told me I didn't know what I was talking about I took offense. I need to get some sleep. Later dude.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:51 AM)treee Wrote: He was faster than the defender. That is why he was behind him. Double moves can get you past faster DBs but this is 49 yards down field we are talking about here. He was just straight up faster. All I am saying is that if the ball was even just a yard or two further, he could have caught it without having to turn his hips and he very well could have taken it to the house. I wouldn't go so far as to say the ball was underthrown, Brownshoe. I was just saying that Andy has more potential that he can build on. Listen, we both love the Bengals and we both want them to win. Obviously we aren't going to agree here so I say we just lay it to rest and move on. I'm sorry for being a jerk but I love football and I consider myself a student of the game and when you told me I didn't know what I was talking about I took offense. I need to get some sleep. Later dude.

The ball was thrown in front of him if he was facing forward he could have caught it, but he was hand fighting the defender and did a small push off at the end. The ball was placed pretty much perfectly. He didn't have to turn his hips to catch the ball, just to look for it and fight the defender.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd like to add something I haven't seen mentioned here.  Dude was 23/30 366 1/1....with the well noted pressure all day.  What has been overlooked some, is that he did it without Eifert, and with a WR corps that he had never played a regular season down with, outside of AJ Green.  Good show indeed Mr. Dalton.

Excellent point... If he were Brady, we would all be hearing how "he amazingly survived without three of his top four targets from a year ago", and if it were Pig Ben, it would be how he survived a near death experience because of his awful protection.  But its Andy, so we heard "sacked a monster seven times", with no mention of going something like 20 of 23 for 280 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT,  after the first quarter.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 07:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Excellent point... If he were Brady, we would all be hearing how "he amazingly survived without three of his top four targets from a year ago", and if it were Pig Ben, it would be how he survived a near death experience because of his awful protection.  But its Andy, so we heard "sacked a monster seven times", with no mention of going something like 20 of 23 for 280 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT,  after the first quarter.

Yeah, the continued disdain for him in the national media is quite baffling.  You are spot on with the analogies concerning Pig Pen and "Roughing the Brady".

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Winning it all will silence most of the haters. Winning it all more than once will silence the rest.

It is the simple and stupid rule by which fans of other teams and the media rate players.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I've been a vocal Dalton supporter since Day 1. I've always liked the kid. I always said that he had the potential to be really good. I remember getting into many arguments on the old board because I said I thought he had top 10 potential.

It's just nice to see people finally starting to come around. Dalton deserves so much more from the national media and even his own fans. We're incredibly lucky to have him. When you take everything into account, his play, his friendly contract, his football intelligence, his leadership, his personality, what he does for the community, and just the man he is, we hit the lottery.

It is a shame that it's going to take playoff success for him to truly be recognized like he should, but I don't think we're going to have to wait that much longer for that happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:04 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: And AJ hasn't ever been overthrown on a pass > 35 yds that I can remember.   Bottom line is Treee is right, he needs to push the ball further on deep passes. 

Really?  You don't remember the Houston playoff game a few years back?  Overthrew AJ in the endzone late 4th quarter which would've likely given us the win.

People are splitting hairs on this topic, bordering on riduculous. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:06 AM)Fresno B Wrote: I want some of what you're smoking on.

So you are saying Brady is more of an air it out QB than Dalton?

Lay off the crack pipe Fresno!

(09-13-2016, 12:25 AM)Whatever Wrote: Stafford comes to mind.

(09-13-2016, 12:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Palmer likes to air out as well. He's always had a great deep ball.

Yeah, those guys like to air it out for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:03 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Sacked 7 times, hit or hurried how many more? Yet he still goes "quietly" 23-30 for 366 yds. And a 114.0 QBR. 

He had a bit of a rough start but make no mistake folks, We have our franchise QB. It has clicked and I'd  put him right up there with almost any other QB in the league. We will go as far as he takes us and that's a great thing because he is fully capable of taking us to the promised land. I firmly believe He's as good as any in the game right now. He can do it all and I love being able to label him as MY TEAMS quarterback!

WHO DEY?!?   Who Dey

some of us have known the bolded for a few years now
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:04 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: And AJ hasn't ever been overthrown on a pass > 35 yds that I can remember.   Bottom line is Treee is right, he needs to push the ball further on deep passes. 

Dude you need to get your memory check....    Not only has he been overthrown a few times

There are also quite a few times Dalton went to AJ deep only to find out AJ didn't finish his route. 

It happens.     Dalton is more likely to overthrow than under.  Just because that's generally the safer spot for the ball to be to avoid defenders on deep passes.
Reply/Quote

Your memory is foggy then, because Dalton had a problem with overthrowing AJ a few years back. The argument that haters made back then was that Dalton's arm was weak, so he had to put too much into the throws, making his deep passes inaccurate.  Haters are always molding new reasons to complain. Even after an A+ performance like this one. It's pathetic really.

(09-13-2016, 02:25 AM)Joelist Wrote: LaFell did not go back or slow down or break stride - all he did was what any WR is supposed to do which is locate the ball in the air. Same thing AJ does.

Exactly. Either way, it's pretty bad when people have to complain about passes that were completed. If you turn the same hyper critical eye at any QB, there will be deep throws where the WR has to adjust his speed and/or turn to make the catch. Nodody throws nothing but dimes. That said, Dalton has thrown plenty of dimes, and I'd say the LaFell throw was pretty close to perfect.

(09-13-2016, 12:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dude you need to get your memory check....    Not only has he been overthrown a few times

There are also quite a few times Dalton went to AJ deep only to find out AJ didn't finish his route. 

It happens.     Dalton is more likely to overthrow than under.  Just because that's generally the safer spot for the ball to be to avoid defenders on deep passes.

I saw that post and was wondering when someone was going to call him out. Talk about selective memory. And Fwiw, just about any pass that gets completed for 50 yards is a good throw. Dalton dropped all those passes where only his guy could get to it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Your memory is foggy then, because Dalton had a problem with overthrowing AJ a few years back. The argument that haters made back then was that Dalton's arm was weak, so he had to put too much into the throws, making his deep passes inaccurate.  Haters are always molding new reasons to complain. Even after an A+ performance like this one. It's pathetic really.

Forgot JN was a Red Rocket safe space.  My apologies.  Think he had a great game SUN, just think he throws a lot of ducks that AJ has to adjust to by slowing down.  If that makes me pathetic, you should see my kitchen.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:19 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Forgot JN was a Red Rocket safe space.  My apologies.  Think he had a great game SUN, just think he throws a lot of ducks that AJ has to adjust to by slowing down.  If that makes me pathetic, you should see my kitchen.

Not a safe space, just a place where if you make stuff up, you get called out for it.

Btw, I ain't your SUN. Whatever that's supposed to mean.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:19 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Forgot JN was a Red Rocket safe space.  My apologies.  Think he had a great game SUN, just think he throws a lot of ducks that AJ has to adjust to by slowing down.  If that makes me pathetic, you should see my kitchen.

Thought Dalton's nickname was the Red Rifle not Red Rocket.

It is actually nice to see some defend the guy after him being constantly hated on even though he could be the
most underrated QB in the league right now. Most likely the best value of any QB as well for the amount he gets
paid.

Seriously, like someone else said if either Big Ben or Brady had that OL play and still put up those type of numbers
the whole NFL world would be riding their nutsack. With Dalton there is hardly a mention except the record number
of sacks which some have said were on him.

Dalton did not throw any ducks SUN...
Reply/Quote
Andy has been playing at a high level since last year and I'll always wonder what could've been if he hadn't got injured. We almost got a playoff win and a first round bye with our backup. To me that says a lot about the potential last year could've had. I'm glad to see that level of play continue on though.

I just hope that years from now after Dalton hopefully retires a Bengal and we move on to the next guy we all remember how this was a process and a franchise QB doesn't usually happen overnight. Also it's never a good look to boo someone at a charity soft ball game.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not a safe space, just a place where if you make stuff up, you get called out for it.

I'm not making anything up.  I see him underthrow deep balls all the time, especially to AJ.  Already explained this at length.

(09-13-2016, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought Dalton's nickname was the Red Rifle not Red Rocket.

It is actually nice to see some defend the guy after him being constantly hated on even though he could be the most underrated QB in the league right now. Most likely the best value of any QB as well for the amount he gets paid.

Seriously, like someone else said if either Big Ben or Brady had that OL play and still put up those type of numbers
the whole NFL world would be riding their nutsack. With Dalton there is hardly a mention except the record number
of sacks which some have said were on him.

Dalton did not throw any ducks SUN...

100% agree that he is the most under rated and best value QB in the league.  There is no denying that.  

Not sure why saying the guy underthrows deep balls is immediately equated to 'hating' on the guy, but duly noted.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not a safe space, just a place where if you make stuff up, you get called out for it.

He was saying, "Sunday." Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote