Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict!
(05-18-2017, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Perhaps he's finally maturing.

It's crazy to think how good he could be if he'd get in great shape.

If Burfict is in shape, he can be a "defensive player of the year" type of player.  Not only does he play at an elite level when he's at his playing weight, but he always brings a swagger to the defense.  He may of had a few dirty plays, but this guy is a man among boys when he wants to be. 

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-20-2017, 12:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but you guys (not just you two) are doing what Bengals fans do every year. The closer the season gets, the more distant the memories of the previous year get. 

Still got Marv. Still got Mike. I would only advise you to temper your enthusiasm a bit so the fall isn't so hard. 

Just saying...
Good advice.
(05-27-2017, 01:26 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: If Burfict is in shape, he can be a "defensive player of the year" type of player.  Not only does he play at an elite level when he's at his playing weight, but he always brings a swagger to the defense.  He may of had a few dirty plays, but this guy is a man among boys when he wants to be. 

Guy is a beast!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-25-2017, 05:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How could I forget the Ron Gant-led 1995 Reds?  I was even at the Nomo playoff game!!!

As far as looking back at the past as a measuring stick, that isn't really what I was trying to accomplish.  I was pointing out that Marv took over a steaming turd and made something viable out of it.

The past few seasons I had significant reservations because of a variety of things:  Hadn't addressed the pass rush, no vertical threat, didn't think much of our running game, etc.  I just see so many positives, and I like that no one is expecting anything out of this team (media wise). 

As far as Marv goes, I see his biggest weaknesses as a coach as time management and an unwillingness to keep the throttle down with even a slight lead early in a game.  Too conservative.  With no new deal for him as of right now, I think this is Marv's last shot and I just really want to see him finish the job rather than his legacy be 0-8 in the playoffs. 

Well my post would probably be very similar in response to that as well. It's 2017 and we're still showing love for something that happened in 2003. I just think it's time to forget how bad we were in 2002 and start judging Marv by his own merits and performance...which is mediocre at best.
I'd love for Marv to go out as a champ or even just a playoff winner, but I think we'd all agree it doesn't look likely based on his lengthy track record. 

Hey, at least we agree on the Gant/Sanders Reds. That was an exciting year. Too bad we had to face one of the greatest pitching staffs of all-time in the NLCS
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.