Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another School Shooting
(05-21-2018, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Honestly not sure what type of man goes Through life never getting punched in the face.  

The person who is smart enough to avoid it.

Brains over brawn.  Since you were always bigger than everyone you used your brawn.  I, on the other hand, was always smarter than everyone else.

Now look around as a grown up.  Are the most successful grown men the ones punching people in the face or the ones using their brains?
(05-22-2018, 08:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The person who is smart enough to avoid it.

Brains over brawn.  Since you were always bigger than everyone you used your brawn.  I, on the other hand, was always smarter than everyone else.

No look around as a grown up.  Are the most successful grown men the ones punching people in the face or the ones using their brains?

I know I have punched people in the face all the way to the top of my company!  Ninja
At my work, if you want a promotion, you gotta beat up the guy whose job you want. We have a 6'5 310lb CEO working on his GED.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-22-2018, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: At my work, if you want a promotion, you gotta beat up the guy whose job you want.  We have a 6'5 310lb CEO working on his GED.

You must be lying.  Anyone that big was never challenged and it would hold back their aggressiveness.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-21-2018, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I never said girls needed to be punched.  Go back and read all my posts on this topic.  

I took my first punch in 8th grade.  I was surprised, eyes started watering, it was confusing for a moment.  I ended up wrestling with the guy, I tried to punch back but I missed.  

First time I punched and made solid contact and made the other person confused was in 10th grade.  I was also shocked and surprised.  That ended right there, I was always bigger than everyone.  

Had a handful of fights in college, mostly at bars.

Honestly not sure what type of man goes Through life never getting punched in the face.  Seems weird. You would through life as a flincher,

We are more often that not on the same side of the fence (although I like to think I'm a little closer to the fence in many views); WTS, I must disagree with the above sentiments. There is absolutely nothing "weird" about going through life without getting punched in the face. It is the same mentality substandard Soldiers used to try and assert when they say things such as "You're not a real Soldier until you've received an Article 15" ect...They simply lacked the tact to perform their duties in accordance with established regulations.

Someone that goes through life without getting punch in the face in neither weird, nor a flincher. They have displayed the tact to go through life accordance with established guidelines. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-21-2018, 09:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Honestly not sure what type of man goes Through life never getting punched in the face. Seems weird. You would through life as a flincher,

Not only have I never been hit in the face, I've never been in a physical altercation. I mean, I played football in high school and I've played rugby a few times, but that's the closest I've come.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Kids need to learn to better themselves to stand up to bullies. This is why the Karate Kid is the best life template this side of the Good Book.
These things are certainly a multi-faceted problem.

Raising young men to think that violence is a good solution to respond to or resolve a situation certainly contributes to the problem.

We clearly need to be raising better young men than we are.
(05-22-2018, 02:24 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: These things are certainly a multi-faceted problem.

Raising young men to think that violence is a good solution to respond to or resolve a situation certainly contributes to the problem.

We clearly need to be raising better young men than we are.

Actually school shootings aren't the epidemic people make them out to be it is an extreme outlier that gets a ton of attention due to the nature of the crime. There are 15 Million high school students in public schools at any given time and if there were even 10 school shooters a year it wouldn't even be a blip when compared to what that 15 Million people yield as far as murderers go in general society.

Kids aren't more violent today, they are simply becoming more violent earlier. It really isn't surprising though as kids in general grow up quicker so why should we assume that the violent aspects of human behavior aren't happening earlier.  
Do we really think the kids are different?

I ask this because in the wake of the Parkland shooting there were Student led protests and in this shooting we see nothing.

I simply ask this because I have suggested that some adults do little more than use children to accomplish their agenda.

(05-22-2018, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we really think the kids are different?

I ask this because in the wake of the Parkland shooting there were Student led protests and in this shooting we see nothing.

I simply ask this because I have suggested that some adults do little more than use children to accomplish their agenda.

I think it depends on the kids. Sometimes it takes one or two proactive students to drive things, other times without one of them rallying their friends nothings gets done. I have been a HS head coach for 8 years and it seems leadership is hit or miss by the year.

Yeah. Kids are different.

Adults are different.

Would we suggest adults are repressing the students in TX from speaking out to accomplish an agenda? 
(05-22-2018, 03:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah. Kids are different.

Adults are different.

Would we suggest adults are repressing the students in TX from speaking out to accomplish an agenda? 

I hope they are encouraging their kids to speak to them and qualified professionals about what happened.

(05-22-2018, 04:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope they are encouraging their kids to speak to them and qualified professionals about what happened.

That's a different thing though.

We ALL want the students (and surviving adults) to be "okay".  Whatever level that is they can get to.

I'm saying if the students WANT to speak out we can't assume adults are preventing that anymore than assuming that adults forced other students in other schools TO speak out.

Maybe they saw what the leaders of the Florida protests had to suffer through.  They were mocked, insulted, and derided by the right.

Or maybe they saw that it had no effect.

I seriously doubt it was because adults in Florida made the kids in Florida do it.
(05-22-2018, 08:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The person who is smart enough to avoid it.

Now look around as a grown up.  Are the most successful grown men the ones punching people in the face or the ones using their brains?

Going through life avoiding conflict because you are afraid it might get physical is a recipe for disaster. At some point we all need to know how to take a punch and give one of necessary.

Despite what you are trying to insinuate I don’t think violence is the answer but men should know how to step up when it’s necessaey. If you have never taken a punch how would you know. Go through life as a flincher.
(05-22-2018, 09:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We are more often that not on the same side of the fence (although I like to think I'm a little closer to the fence in many views); WTS, I must disagree with the above sentiments. There is absolutely nothing "weird" about going through life without getting punched in the face. It is the same mentality substandard Soldiers used to try and assert when they say things such as "You're not a real Soldier until you've received an Article 15" ect...They simply lacked the tact to perform their duties in accordance with established regulations.

Someone that goes through life without getting punch in the face in neither weird, nor a flincher. They have displayed the tact to go through life accordance with established guidelines. 

Tact is important. I have never devalued it, but there is always a time when a man has to step up. Hopefully they never have to use it but there comes a time in a man’s life when he has to go one way or another and the rest of their life path depends on that choice. If you have never taken a punch you are more likely to shy away.

I’m not advocating for life to be a bare knuckle boxing brawl on a daily basis. Just saying that a man should know what it’s like to take a punch and how to actually punch someone.
(05-22-2018, 07:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Going through life avoiding conflict because you are afraid it might get physical is a recipe for disaster.   At some point we all need to know how to take a punch and give one of necessary.  

Despite what you are trying to insinuate I don’t think violence is the answer but men should know how to step up when it’s necessaey.   If you have never taken a punch how would you know.   Go through life as a flincher.

I have been a grown man for almost 40 years and I have never needed to punch anyone.  And it has never been a "recipe for disaster".

Resorting to punching someone is a "recipe for disaster" much more often than being smart enough to avoid a physical fight.  How many people do you know that have been arrested for "not fighting"?
(05-22-2018, 10:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not only have I never been hit in the face, I've never been in a physical altercation. I mean, I played football in high school and I've played rugby a few times, but that's the closest I've come.

This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I could probably list 5 other no doubters from the board. I won’t since I’m sure it will get reported.
(05-22-2018, 07:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Tact is important.  I have never devalued it, but there is always a time when a man has to step up.   Hopefully they never have to use it but there comes a time in a man’s life when he has to go one way or another and the rest of their life path depends on that choice.   If you have never taken a punch you are more likely to shy away.  

I’m not advocating for life to be a bare knuckle boxing brawl on a daily basis.   Just saying that a man should know what it’s like to take a punch and how to actually punch someone.

I've probably been punched at least 20 times in the face/head area in my life (not everyone understands my sense of humor). I'm an above average fighter because I try to be funny. LOL 

Anyway, your right. Actually, punches really don't hurt do to the adrenaline at the time because your first thought is self defense and not worrying about past tense. You feel soreness later. Although, I did have an ex once who friggen nailed me straight in the nose. That shit hurt. Probably because I knew I couldn't retaliate.