Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another School Shooting
(05-21-2018, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A slight increase in reading comprehension would have revealed that reporting on the incident wasn't mentioned and that not reporting on the actual shooter was.  Nothing would be ignored, but the shooter would be denied their desired outcome, infamy.  Feel free to go back to deliberately misinterpreting people.

That is a single, small, "possible" reason for any shooting.   How many of the shooters have claimed they did it for "the fame"?  Seriously.

And, again, this problem is multifaceted and your solution would be of minimal help at best.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-21-2018, 12:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: That is a single, small, "possible" reason for any shooting.   How many of the shooters have claimed they did it for "the fame"?  Seriously.

I don't think that, consciously, that was the motivation for any of them.

Quote:And, again, this problem is multifaceted and your solution would be of minimal help at best.

Let's say it would be of "minimal help".  Why not do it?  If it helps save just one life right, Emma?
(05-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think that, consciously, that was the motivation for any of them.

Then why suggest it was?

(05-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Let's say it would be of "minimal help".  Why not do it?  If it helps save just one life right, Emma?

Right....for the side that doesn't want registration. Too funny.
(05-21-2018, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A slight increase in reading comprehension would have revealed that reporting on the incident wasn't mentioned and that not reporting on the actual shooter was.  Nothing would be ignored, but the shooter would be denied their desired outcome, infamy.  Feel free to go back to deliberately misinterpreting people.

I'm not really one to follow specific mass shootings in depth, but do people really remember the shooters in this sense?  I personally can't name them like I can name the people who shot John Lennon, or a slew of politicians, etc.  I was under the impression that people who shoot a famous person are identified by name (middle name included, mostly) and those who commit mass shootings tend to be remembered or referred to as The [location/venue name] Shooter.

It's hard to say if fame or infamy was a goal here.  Unless maybe this guy wanted to send a message to all high school girls that they shouldn't turn down the advances of males, lest they suffer lethal consequences. Perhaps the cynical part of me could see a woman who turns down the romantic advances of a weirdo as "Towing the [THIS GUY'S NAME] line" or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-21-2018, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A slight increase in reading comprehension would have revealed that reporting on the incident wasn't mentioned and that not reporting on the actual shooter was. 

Actually when you mentioned the freeway shootings all you talk about is reporting on the incidents.

(05-21-2018, 11:10 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  the freeway shootings that used to occur here in the Los Angeles area during the late eighties.  They were endlessly reported

So if you were talking about reporting on the incidents and not the shooters then you should have picked a better example.
(05-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Let's say it would be of "minimal help".  Why not do it?  If it helps save just one life right, Emma?

You mean like banning assault rifles?
(05-21-2018, 11:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He wasn’t going to fist fight a girl. Unless he was just a *****.  Which given his choices, he probably was one.   I’m not sure that fueled his rage as much as the teasing in the locker room by teammates and coaches.  This is where he should have been fighting, he could have stood up for himself many times but wasn’t able given the tolerance policy for fighting.   Not saying this will fix the issue but it would release some pressure off these powder kegs.  Also Let’s face it, it’s good for kids.

You just pitched the movie The Purge.

LOL
(05-21-2018, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean like banning assault rifles?

What constitutes an assault rifle?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-21-2018, 01:55 PM)Benton Wrote: You just pitched the movie The Purge.

LOL

But its good for the kids........
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(05-21-2018, 02:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What constitutes an assault rifle?

I work for a company that does some work in school security ( I think I have mentioned this before). We historically do stuff in preventative security as well as emergency response solutions but we are looking at alternative approaches to security. One thing of interest is preventative measures using facial recognition AI to specifically track the emotions of students over time to create a baseline and looking for a decline in emotional states to alarm staff to intervene and see if they can't offer support or counseling before the fact.

I can tell you there has never been more money and research being done in security then the last couple years it seems specifically for the education market.
One thing I have found to be interesting, is that there has never been a mass school shooting at a traditional private or charter school. Having more scrutiny on who is allowed to enroll has probably helped a lot in this, but all the bad shootings happen at public schools.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-21-2018, 03:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: One thing I have found to be interesting, is that there has never been a mass school shooting at a traditional private or charter school. Having more scrutiny on who is allowed to enroll has probably helped a lot in this, but all the bad shootings happen at public schools.

Absolutely.

I went to a Catholic school.  They were not afraid to send "bad seeds" away for one reason or another.

We still had the typical "bad" kids, but the worst ones were relegated to the public school system that had to accept them.
(05-21-2018, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean like banning assault rifles?

I love that you think you just trapped me while stepping directly into mine. Smirk
These kids need discipline.... Shooting people cause the girl said no? get the **** over yourself... that's whats wrong here people cant handle anyone saying no because they are told yes their whole life.

Guns aren't the issue just the tool
(05-21-2018, 03:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: One thing I have found to be interesting, is that there has never been a mass school shooting at a traditional private or charter school. Having more scrutiny on who is allowed to enroll has probably helped a lot in this, but all the bad shootings happen at public schools.

Interestingly enough there have been plenty of shootings at colleges who have the same ability to remove "troubled" individuals. I know when I talk to other people in the industry many believe it to be more statistical anomaly than anything.
(05-21-2018, 12:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think that, consciously, that was the motivation for any of them.

Let's say it would be of "minimal help".  Why not do it?  If it helps save just one life right, Emma?

if those are your beliefs you deserve neither security or freedom.
(05-21-2018, 01:55 PM)Benton Wrote: You just pitched the movie The Purge.

LOL

Fist fights are no big deal. No one is going to die when two teens are fist fighting. Not quite the same as giving them 24 hours to kill as many as they wish.

Would rather 5-10. Fist fights a week rather than a shooting.
(05-21-2018, 04:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Fist fights are no big deal.  No one is going to die when two teens are fist fighting.  Not quite the same as giving them 24 hours to kill as many as they wish.  

Would rather 5-10. Fist fights a week rather than a shooting.

So would be shooters are more scared of zero tolerance policies and getting suspended for fighting than shooting people and going to jail/ being killed?

This makes no sense especially when you realize many of the recent shootings weren't even tied to any person specifically they could have fought. Was this kid going to go fight the girl who rejected him? Who was Adam Lanza supposed to fight at Sandy Hook to keep him from shooting elementary kids? 
(05-21-2018, 04:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Absolutely.

I went to a Catholic school.  They were not afraid to send "bad seeds" away for one reason or another.

We still had the typical "bad" kids, but the worst ones were relegated to the public school system that had to accept them.

So the answer is to move these bad kids Who can’t or won’t behave. Put them into alternative school and teach them a skill. The sooner we weed out these kids the better for everyone.

Allow parents to take their tax money with them to private schools or give a tax rebate for tuition. Then the public schools are for that middle bunch of who doesn’t go to private schools or relegated to alternative school.

Lighten the burden on your typical public school.