Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Another mass shooting
(05-01-2023, 01:40 AM)basballguy Wrote: iT wAs On ThE fRoNt PaGe!   Sad     It's cool you're completely ignoring what i said about lead stories.  

I pity you.

All i was saying is CNN loves pushing racism narratives...especially antiwhite narratives.  You can blow it up into whatever you want

PS, i don't use FOX...as I've said multiple times.  CNN is my primary news source.  (I also use news.google.com but I filter out a lot of the bullshit like Vox and Salon). 

Perhaps it's my fault for assuming you read everything I post.  

It was on the top of the page...a day after it happened.

You said it wasn't their "lead story".  I didn't argue that I simply pointed out it was still on the first page and it took one click to get the story.

But why do you use a primary news source that, according to you, "loves pushing racism narratives...especially antiwhite narratives."?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 09:18 PM)samhain Wrote: I never thought I'd say it, but Drudge Report is my main source for news these days.  I know they have a historical reputation for being heavily conservative, but I find them to be about as even as anyone.  Also, an aggregator, which is a plus.

Drudge got better during Trump because he didn't like Trump so he started moving more to the center (still right) away from the more extreme members of the gop.

But as an aggregator he's a go to along with a couple other sites.
Reply/Quote
Wash, Rinse, and Repeat

This time its happening at a Medical building in Midtown Atlanta

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
it only took 3 days to have another public mass shooting

Allen Texas...8 dead, 9 with the shooter, multiple injuries

Public leaders offer thoughts and prayers and do nothing yet again

Reply/Quote
so it turns out the man who committed the murders in Texas was discharged from the Army in 2008 due to mental health issues. He had 100's of white supremist social media posts and wore a patch with RWDS which stands for Right Wing Death Squad. He worked as an armed security guard

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 12:59 PM)pally Wrote: so it turns out the man who committed the murders in Texas was discharged from the Army in 2008 due to mental health issues. He had 100's of white supremist social media posts and wore a patch with RWDS which stands for Right Wing Death Squad. He worked as an armed security guard

I really feel like someone discharged for mental health issues should not have been eligible to be licensed as an armed security guard. Maybe that's just me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 01:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I really feel like someone discharged for mental health issues should not have been eligible to be licensed as an armed security guard. Maybe that's just me.

We may very well find this is another instance of the military not informing the federal government of the discharge reasons.  I don't recall which shooter it was that the Air Force failed to report what would have made the shooter a prohibited person.  The Parkland shooter would have been a prohibited person if the school district and local law enforcement would have done their jobs properly.  This is why I am dead set against any new laws, we don't even enforce the ones we have.  The DA here in LA routinely charges possession of a concealed firearm as a misdemeanor and refuses to file firearm enhancements on other crimes.  Can't have it both way folks.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 12:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We may very well find this is another instance of the military not informing the federal government of the discharge reasons.  I don't recall which shooter it was that the Air Force failed to report what would have made the shooter a prohibited person.  The Parkland shooter would have been a prohibited person if the school district and local law enforcement would have done their jobs properly.  This is why I am dead set against any new laws, we don't even enforce the ones we have.  The DA here in LA routinely charges possession of a concealed firearm as a misdemeanor and refuses to file firearm enhancements on other crimes.  Can't have it both way folks.

It could've even been that the military may have been like "look, we'll take it easy on this guy because he is going to have a rough go of things." But then he slips through the cracks. I get it that people complain about the impersonal way that bureaucracy makes people follow the rules but this is the sort of thing that may have been prevented if people had just carried out the policies as they were supposed to.

There is a time and a place for discretion, but far too often we see it in times and places it should not be.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 07:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It could've even been that the military may have been like "look, we'll take it easy on this guy because he is going to have a rough go of things." But then he slips through the cracks. I get it that people complain about the impersonal way that bureaucracy makes people follow the rules but this is the sort of thing that may have been prevented if people had just carried out the policies as they were supposed to.

There is a time and a place for discretion, but far too often we see it in times and places it should not be.

Absolutely.  I would add that it is often used because people are lazy.  I can't tell you the number of people in my position who do everything they can to avoid imposing disciplinary measures on their subordinates.  Not because they don't think it's warranted, but because it's a lot of work and a tremendous pain in the ass.  I've imposed discipline up to suspension without pay, which is a hell of a lot of work in a civil service job with a union.  I understand why people avoid it, but I absolutely cannot condone it.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Absolutely.  I would add that it is often used because people are lazy.  I can't tell you the number of people in my position who do everything they can to avoid imposing disciplinary measures on their subordinates.  Not because they don't think it's warranted, but because it's a lot of work and a tremendous pain in the ass.  I've imposed discipline up to suspension without pay, which is a hell of a lot of work in a civil service job with a union.  I understand why people avoid it, but I absolutely cannot condone it.

My job is one in which I spend my days reviewing internal controls for a R2 university. I am not a part of some department of people doing this, I am a lone person who is responsible for this and compiling a report to be delivered to the Commonwealth every year that says "yes, we did what we were supposed to be doing this year." Then, after the year ends, auditors from the state come in and verify that by redoing some of the work I already did. Anyway, the number of times people complain about the policies I have to enforce only for the auditors to come around later and tell us how severe the consequences would have been had we not followed those policies...yeah.

Anyway, I color within the lines. I admit it.

Reply/Quote
Not a shooting.  Just a gun story.

Filed under just because you have a right to do it doesn't mean you should do it.  At least maybe not this way.

Dude putting his own feelings and rights above those of the children and their parents.  Which isn't a good look for gun owners, IMHO.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2023, 10:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not a shooting.  Just a gun story.

Filed under just because you have a right to do it doesn't mean you should do it.  At least maybe not this way.

Dude putting his own feelings and rights above those of the children and their parents.  Which isn't a good look for gun owners, IMHO.

Can someone remind me what the definition of terrorism is?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 07:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Absolutely.  I would add that it is often used because people are lazy.  I can't tell you the number of people in my position who do everything they can to avoid imposing disciplinary measures on their subordinates.  Not because they don't think it's warranted, but because it's a lot of work and a tremendous pain in the ass.  I've imposed discipline up to suspension without pay, which is a hell of a lot of work in a civil service job with a union.  I understand why people avoid it, but I absolutely cannot condone it.

Yeah, this must be every workplace in the country.  

My new-ish senior manager once asked me why I only filled out the required number of performance evaluations for my crew.  I asked how many he wanted.  He wanted one for each of them, as in like 25-30 people, on a rolling basis per month.  Now, I know why I only do the minimum, but I need him to understand in realtime and not through some argument where he just thinks I'm lazy.

A month later, after about 7 or 8 evaluations met the criteria that got them escalated to his level for enhanced discipline/documentation (which doesn't take a lot, honestly.  Someone can score extremely well and still be a candidate for discipline.  The criteria is not forgiving), he told me to go ahead and do the minimum again, but to give warnings if I saw anything abnormal.  

I'm all for tightening the screws, and I'm plenty capable of it.  I just have the experience to understand that the actual weight of those policies comes form well above me, and that it's extremely unusual for anyone in those positions to follow through on the escalation.  They don't want that smoke.

In short, they want me to look like a drill sergeant while management comes down and acts like everyone's advocate.  I don't quite resent it, because I get why they are hesitant.  It just seems like a colossal waste of time when I consider the end result.
Reply/Quote