Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another postseason of buttcheek offense?
(01-16-2023, 01:12 PM)samhain Wrote: I might be more nervous about the Jags defense than KC's or Buffalo's.

NOPE:

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/nfl/statistics/team-defense/2022-2023

NFL Team Defense
6. [Image: buf.png]

11.  [Image: kc.png]

24. [Image: jac.png]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 01:45 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I don't know if my heart can handle it.

Defense always finds ways to bail them out it seems.

It was the pace of the game. Long, methodical drives by the Ravens. Injuries, penalties, extra stuff after the whistle etc.... 
It was the Ravens game plan and it almost worked.
It sucked all the life out of the stadium and the offense. 
Joe Burrow is such a rhythm QB. You seen how long it took him to get going this year after dealing with the appendix.
When he sits on the bench for awhile he seems to get impatient sometimes. I expect that the offense is going to come out and 
be on fire against the Bills this week. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:52 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We're 16th?  Jeez I thought we were top 10 on defense.

We are #6 just one spot below the 49ers!!!!!  Who Dey  Among the 12 teams that played in the Super Wild Card Weekend. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: that's not taking the Roquan Smith transaction into play. 

Buffalo's defense is ranked higher than Baltimore's in regard to the current playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:15 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Buffalo's defense is ranked higher than Baltimore's in regard to the current playoffs.

It's worth considering the Bills defense went up against a 3rd string QB on Sunday. Thompson was 18/45 (40%) with 1 TD and 2 INTs. And the Dolphins receivers had a ton of drops. Not to say the Bills defense don't deserve some credit in that performance, but Thompson played like ass cheeks.

Dolphins run game was DOA though. I'll give the Bills props there.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:15 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Buffalo's defense is ranked higher than Baltimore's in regard to the current playoffs.

That’s only in yards/game. With a one game sample size.

Baltimore has an infinitely better defense than Buffalo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:19 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It's worth considering the Bills defense went up against a 3rd string QB on Sunday.  Thompson was 18/45 (40%) with 1 TD and 2 INTs.  And the Dolphins receivers had a ton of drops.  Not to say the Bills defense don't deserve some credit in that performance, but Thompson played like ass cheeks.

Dolphins run game was DOA though.  I'll give the Bills props there.

Yeah, why are many members here saying the 3rd string QB scored 31 points on the Bills D?

Some of those points came from Bills turnovers by their offense.

3rd string QB did little except 1 TD pass. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s only in yards/game. With a one game sample size.

Baltimore has an infinitely better defense than Buffalo.

17 game sample +  1 game playoff has Buffalo a better defense.

You can argue since the trade of Roquan Smith the Ravens may have a better defense, but not the playoff weekend and not the full season. 
Reply/Quote
Looks like OP got raked for this take, but I think there's some merit to it. The defense was low key the biggest reason we made the SB last year, and they saved the day again against the Ravens.

I think we're all happy we won, but I would like to see the offense step up a notch. 17 points ain't gonna get it most weeks. That said, we struggled most of the year against the division. I fully expect the offense to be much better in Buffalo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:19 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It's worth considering the Bills defense went up against a 3rd string QB on Sunday.  Thompson was 18/45 (40%) with 1 TD and 2 INTs.  And the Dolphins receivers had a ton of drops.  Not to say the Bills defense don't deserve some credit in that performance, but Thompson played like ass cheeks.

Dolphins run game was DOA though.  I'll give the Bills props there.

I think our Offense matches up very well with the Bills Defense. Not impressed at all with their pass coverage or their tackling.

I bet our Offense gets on a roll in this one and we don't need to rely on our Defense as much, but they WILL make a big play.

Most likely a big turnover by Allen that puts us over the top. The Defense has made a big turnover every game lately to help us 
pull out a win. I think it is 6 games in a row or something that Lap was saying to Sam in his Ravens postgame speech.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Looks like OP got raked for this take, but I think there's some merit to it. The defense was low key the biggest reason we made the SB last year, and they saved the day again against the Ravens.

I think we're all happy we won, but I would like to see the offense step up a notch. 17 points ain't gonna get it most weeks. That said, we struggled most of the year against the division. I fully expect the offense to be much better in Buffalo.

Haters gonna hate.
Reply/Quote
Confucius say: It's much better to complain after a win, then after a loss.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:45 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: 17 game sample +  1 game playoff has Buffalo a better defense.

You can argue since the trade of Roquan Smith the Ravens may have a better defense, but not the playoff weekend and not the full season. 

The first couple games skewed the numbers big time for the Ravens. They were like 32nd I believe. No defense was better down the stretch though. They were playing like a top 3 unit coming into our matchup.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:11 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: We are #6 just one spot below the 49ers!!!!!  Who Dey  Among the 12 teams that played in the Super Wild Card Weekend. 

In the regular season, defense is 6th in terms of points/game and 16th in terms of yards/game. I wonder what they consider a top ten defense: yards/game or points/game?
Reply/Quote
Defense > Offense

The Bengals have historically always been an Offense team, that's why some have an issue with our Defense being way more dominant than our highly drafted,highly paid, star players in the offense. I think it's just the coaching, because the talent is undeniably there...(in the offense).
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The first couple games skewed the numbers big time for the Ravens. They were like 32nd I believe. No defense was better down the stretch though. They were playing like a top 3 unit coming into our matchup.

Yes sir you are right, but keep in mind the Bills lost Von Miller, so while the Bills got worse[but still is ranked higher than the Ravens] the Ravens got better after their for Smith.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 01:45 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I don't know if my heart can handle it.

Defense always finds ways to bail them out it seems.

This is what is bound to happen when you have key OL guys go down and the backups are not good and/or developed enough to sufficiently fill in at even a serviceable level.
Bengals are going to have to call a lot more short passes to get the ball out fast because Burrow won't have more than 2-3 seconds before a defender is on him.
And defenses will likely plan for that, so they'll play closer to LOS.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:41 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Yeah, why are many members here saying the 3rd string QB scored 31 points on the Bills D?

Some of those points came from Bills turnovers by their offense.

3rd string QB did little except 1 TD pass. 

I believe the Bills D numbers have been padded a good bit by virtue of their schedule and the time they played those teams.

Opener Rams put up 10 points, the Rams stunk all season.

#2 Titans put up 7. I don't know their average score this season but it wasn't much I'm sure.

Week 5 Steelers put up 3 points. Did Pick6it start that game ?

Week 8 Green Bay 17, Rodgers was still stinking then.

Week 13 Patriots 10. Mac Jones, nuff said.

Week 16 Bears put up 13. 

The Ravens D is much better than the Bills. I'm quite sure of it no matter what the stats say. You gotta look deeper. Same with the Chiefs. When they put up 35 points it forces their opponents to get out of their comfort zones.

Those two temas defenses aren't that tough. We were moving the ball easily vs. the Bills for those 10 minutes or whatever?
Reply/Quote
If the run game could just be marginally better and our superstar WR's didn't drop passes at the worst times (not that there's ever a good time to drop a pass), our offense would look much better in these recent games.

Tee has got to get it together and start making contested catches that hit him right in the hands. Chase has had a few killers too.
Reply/Quote
Buffalo's defense doesn't worry me nearly as much as the Ravens did. I don't really care about total defense rankings and what they were doing in week 2.

I think the Bengals match up very well with their defense and will have no problem moving the ball, as long as there aren't 40mph winds and a lot of precip.

This game Sunday will look totally different than the game against the Ravens. The Ravens are the best team in the league at taking the air out of the ball and limiting opposing team's opportunities. The Bills are a quick strike high octane offense that won't be trying to bleed the clock. Comparing these two opponents is a waste of time because their styles are so different.

For a rule of thumb, we knew going into the Ravens game 20 points would probably be enough to win the game, and it was.

For this game against Buffalo, I think they'll need to score at least 30 to win.
Reply/Quote