Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ?

Feel free to chime in with any Pros or Cons or warranted JEERS.  Just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Idea 1:  Sign DT Chris Jones away from the Chiefs this offseason Free Agency at an estimated $28.1 million per year. (3 year deal)
            (Let Tyler Boyd & DJ Reader leave to help pay for it. Reader may not be fully healthy early next season. Add a Nose DT & WR in Draft)

Idea 2:  Trade Tee Higgins for Draft picks then package some picks to go up an get Marvin Harrison Jr on a rookie deal.
             (Losing this week to the Browns would give the Bengals a higher pick and make this easier to do)
             This move lets another Team pay Tee while replacing him with what should be a similar, younger and less expensive talent.

The Trade for Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers seemed to Transform their Offense.
Maybe there is a move the Bengals could make.

*Please POST any BOLD ideas that you think could Transform the Bengals or set them up for Greater Success ?
Reply/Quote
Here's a bold idea. Hire an expanded team of experienced scouts to not only identify player talent with the specific skill sets to implement what the Bengals want to accomplish on the field, but also to identify up and coming coaches who utilizing innovative methods to get tremendous growth and development from their players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OL coach and OC....
Reply/Quote
I think any trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr (top-4 pick) is going to cost 2025 1st and probably 3rd on top of our 2024 1st and whatever we get for Tee.

I think the highest we can pick is 12... last year the Texans traded up from 12 to 3 with the Cardinals in exchange for their 1st and 3rd that year and their 1st and 3rd next year.... and last year I believe wasn't considered particularly great as far as high end talent goes at the top of the 1st.

Also the Patriots won't trade down because they need a QB at 3, and the Cardinals at 4 desperately need a WR for Kyler who they are stuck with for at least 2024, so they're probably taking MHJ.

- - - - - - -

My bold move would be to take playcalling duties away from Taylor, get a new OL Coach, and get a new DC. Then get and move to 2 TEs on offense (We might be able to trade up from 12 to 7-8 for Bowers for 1 of them) since we no longer will have a great WR group.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
We will pick in the middle of the first round. Should get a good RT. But frankly I get a FA at DT. I’d tag Tee. I’d pick a running back or TE in the second. RB and TE don’t go early so there should be some good ones. I’d go best available between TE or RB.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think any trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr (top-4 pick) is going to cost 2025 1st and probably 3rd on top of our 2024 1st and whatever we get for Tee.

I think the highest we can pick is 12... last year the Texans traded up from 12 to 3 with the Cardinals in exchange for their 1st and 3rd that year and their 1st and 3rd next year.... and last year I believe wasn't considered particularly great as far as high end talent goes at the top of the 1st.

- - - - - - -

The bold move would be to take playcalling duties away from Taylor and to get a new DC.

The Texans got Will Anderson JR.

So two 1sts and two 3rds could do it. (4 picks to go up to get 1 pick)

If the Bengals get a 2024 first for Tee then that may be slightly more valuable than a 2025 first because it comes sooner.

So the Bengals SWAP 2024 firsts to go up, then give the first they get for TEE and from there they are only giving up two 3rd round picks. (2024 & 2025)

Do you think a Team would give up a 1st round pick for TEE ?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think any trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr (top-4 pick) is going to cost 2025 1st and probably 3rd on top of our 2024 1st and whatever we get for Tee.

- - - - - - -

My bold move would be to take playcalling duties away from Taylor and to get a new DC. Then get and move to 2 TEs on offense since we no longer will have a great WR group.

I don't know if I've seen a worse year to try to move to a 2 TE offense.  There's only one quality starting TE due to hit FA(Dalton Schultz) and this is a wretched TE draft class aside from Bowers(who most likely won't make it to our pick).
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't know if I've seen a worse year to try to move to a 2 TE offense.  There's only one quality starting TE due to hit FA(Dalton Schultz) and this is a wretched TE draft class aside from Bowers(who most likely won't make it to our pick).

I like Noah Fant as a fit in Cincy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Texans got Will Anderson JR.

So two 1sts and two 3rds could do it. (4 picks to go up to get 1 pick)

If the Bengals get a 2024 first for Tee then that may be slightly more valuable than a 2025 first because it comes sooner.

So the Bengals SWAP 2024 firsts to go up, then give the first they get for TEE and from there they are only giving up two 3rd round picks. (2024 & 2025)

Do you think a Team would give up a 1st round pick for TEE ?

Nope.

I think we could have gotten a 1st and 3rd last offseason when Tee was still under contract for $3m and he was coming off back-to-back 1k seasons. Last offseason a team would essentially be trading for 2yr/$26m of team control, now they'd be trading for 1yr/$23m (the franchise tag) and who knows if Tee is willing to play under the franchise tag so it might also mean they have to offer 4yr/$100m.

Mid 2nd is my guess.

- - - - -

I edited after you already clicked quote/reply, but I think the biggest problem is even if we wanted to trade for MHJ we wouldn't have a trade partner high enough to get him. It's a big QB draft and the top picks are all QB-needy except the Cardinals who have a QB they are financially committed to, but don't have a single WR with 600 yards this year.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope.

I think we could have gotten a 1st and 3rd last offseason when Tee was still under contract for $3m and he was coming off back-to-back 1k seasons. Last offseason a team would essentially be trading for 2yr/$26m of team control, now they'd be trading for 1yr/$23m (the franchise tag) and who knows if Tee is willing to play under the franchise tag so it might also mean they have to offer 4yr/$100m.

Mid 2nd is my guess.

- - - - -

I edited after you already clicked quote/reply, but I think the biggest problem is even if we wanted to trade for MHJ we wouldn't have a trade partner high enough to get him. It's a big QB draft and the top picks are all QB-needy except the Cardinals who have a QB they are financially committed to, but don't have a single WR with 600 yards this year.

If it is only a 2024 mid 2nd rounder then the Bengals keep that pick for TEE and give their 2025 first instead of the 2024 first I thought we may get for TEE.

It would get them close to a deal or may be enough depending on where Harrison fell to.  You could be right that another pick may have to be added.

May have to get BOLDER to make it happen but I see it as doable.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't know if I've seen a worse year to try to move to a 2 TE offense.  There's only one quality starting TE due to hit FA(Dalton Schultz) and this is a wretched TE draft class aside from Bowers(who most likely won't make it to our pick).

(01-05-2024, 04:01 PM)Synric Wrote: I like Noah Fant as a fit in Cincy. 

Also Hunter Henry.

I do wonder about Gerald Everett as well, as he didn't have a great year (his decreasing AVG is worrying) but that kind of seemed to be the entire Chargers offense struggling this year.

Basically my thought is while you're right it's not an ideal year for it, we only have 1 WR with at least 100 career receiving yards and 0 TEs regardless of yards under contract for 2024. Both positions need to be rebuilt, but TEs are much more cost effective than WRs and then we'd only need 1 more starting WR to go with Chase. The TEs can help the run game, they can help the OTs, they can help in the middle of the field, they can help in the redzone, and they can help in making our offense less predictable.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope.

Mid 2nd is my guess.

- - - - -

I think there's an outside chance you could get a final third of the 1st for him? Maybe a team like the Chiefs where even semi-competent WR play would have added at least two wins to the season. But I could see a pick plus the big contract he'll demand being too much for a team to commit to.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also Hunter Henry.

I do wonder about Gerald Everett as well, as he didn't have a great year (his decreasing AVG is worrying) but that kind of seemed to be the entire Chargers offense struggling this year.

Basically my thought is while you're right it's not an ideal year for it, we only have 1 WR with at least 100 career receiving yards and 0 TEs regardless of yards under contract for 2024. Both positions need to be rebuilt, but TEs are much more cost effective than WRs and then we'd only need 1 more starting WR to go with Chase. The TEs can help the run game, they can help the OTs, they can help in the middle of the field, they can help in the redzone, and they can help in making our offense less predictable.

Always been a fan of Everett, runs hard, is quick and can get up the field. 
Sign Everett, sign Edge Josh Allen away from Jags, draft a BIG run stuffing DT and per another post above: hire some competent scouts that know how to evaluate Trench talent
look at poaching scouts away from Balt and Cleve
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:32 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I think there's an outside chance you could get a final third of the 1st for him? Maybe a team like the Chiefs where even semi-competent WR play would have added at least two wins to the season. But I could see a pick plus the big contract he'll demand being too much for a team to commit to.

If we thought Tee was worth a 1st, why would we ever trade him to the Chiefs to help them? I was cheering for them to lose and potentially miss the playoffs last week.

- - - - -
Another thing that's admittedly a problem with a tag-and-trade with Tee (which is another reason I wanted to trade him before the draft last offseason besides from higher value) is that he has to be willing to sign his franchise tag before the draft otherwise we can't trade him for any 2024 draft picks, and trading him after the draft for a 2025 draft pick obviously doesn't help us win in 2024.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:08 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Feel free to chime in with any Pros or Cons or warranted JEERS.  Just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Idea 1:  Sign DT Chris Jones away from the Chiefs this offseason Free Agency at an estimated $28.1 million per year. (3 year deal)
            (Let Tyler Boyd & DJ Reader leave to help pay for it. Reader may not be fully healthy early next season. Add a Nose DT & WR in Draft)

Idea 2:  Trade Tee Higgins for Draft picks then package some picks to go up an get Marvin Harrison Jr on a rookie deal.
             (Losing this week to the Browns would give the Bengals a higher pick and make this easier to do)
             This move lets another Team pay Tee while replacing him with what should be a similar, younger and less expensive talent.

The Trade for Christian McCaffrey to the 49ers seemed to Transform their Offense.

*Please POST any BOLD ideas that you think could Transform the Bengals or set them up for Greater Success ?

Jones is a beast, but he will be 30 next year.  I'd be a bit hesitant at giving him that kind of deal at his age.  A 3 tech I would target would be the Ravens Justin Madubuike, who's had a monster 13 sacks this year and is still young.  I differ from you in that I would also address NT in FA, as well.  

Philosophically, I think they need to go harder in TC, focus a lot more on the starting 5 on OL gelling, and play the starters in preseason to ward off the slow starts.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:08 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Nice thread and thoughts Depthchart.  Wink

First off, I would grab a new OL coach, new OC and maybe even a new DC since we are talking bold. Zac can stay HC but stay out of the 
playcalling department and let 1 OC do his thing that can be held accountable if the playcalling is still not up to par and always adapting to
any Defense we play.

I also would love Christian Wilkins or to grab Madubuike away from the Ravens would be ideal as far as getting a DT in FA. Of course I am 
down with grabbing Chris Jones, perfect fit for our Defense's needs. I would grab Eluemunor in FA for RT to have a proven vet and let Jonah
go wherever. I agree on Tagging Tee and trading him. Could get a special player in return you never know. Heck, the Eagles got Deandre Swift
for like a 6th round pick, speaking of, I would also grab Swift in FA.

As TLL said, even if we traded up, we still might not get MHJ so I would stay pat and grab Rome Odunze in the first who I love a ton. In the 
2nd round I would grab a run stuffing NT for the future and I might bring back Reader just in case he comes back for insurance. He shouldn't
be as expensive with the injury and him getting up there in age.
Reply/Quote
Team should have traded Higgins last year when stock was high. I think they either sign him or they franchise him for one year. I think they need new OL coach.
A bold move would be to replace Cappa at RG and sign a stud RT in Draft. I know Cappa is liked by some but both guard positions need upgrade. I know the FO will not give up on Volson.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 03:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We will pick in the middle of the first round. Should get a good RT. But frankly I get a FA at DT. I’d tag Tee. I’d pick a running back or TE in the second. RB and TE don’t go early so there should be some good ones. I’d go best available between TE or RB.

The 4 prospects I have targeted for mid-1st wish list are:
- Brock Bowers, TE Georgia
- JC Latham, RT Alabama
- Rome Odunze, WR Washington
- Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The 4 prospects I have targeted for mid-1st wish list are:
- Brock Bowers, TE Georgia
- JC Latham, RT Alabama
- Rome Odunze, WR Washington
- Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

I love all these prospects myself. Even if the Bama early OL picks haven't been good in the NFL I think JC Latham would be an upgrade at
RT for us and he has upside unlike it seems Jonah. Newton would be a great grab for hopefully our next Geno.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 04:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread and thoughts Depthchart.  Wink

First off, I would grab a new OL coach, new OC and maybe even a new DC since we are talking bold. Zac can stay HC but stay out of the 
playcalling department and let 1 OC do his thing that can be held accountable if the playcalling is still not up to par and always adapting to
any Defense we play.

I also would love Christian Wilkins or to grab Madabuike away from the Ravens would be ideal as far as getting a DT in FA. Of course I am 
down with grabbing Chris Jones, perfect fit for our Defense's needs. I would grab Eluemunor in FA for RT to have a proven vet and let Jonah
go wherever. I agree on Tagging Tee and trading him. Could get a special player in return you never know. Heck, the Eagles got Deandre Swift
for like a 6th round pick, speaking of, I would also grab Swift in FA.

As TLL said, even if we traded up, we still might not get MHJ so I would stay pat and grab Rome Odunze in the first who I love a ton. In the 
2nd round I would grab a run stuffing NT for the future and I might bring back Reader just in case he comes back for insurance. He shouldn't
be as expensive with the injury and him getting up there in age.

Thanks and you have some good ideas.

I think two things are guiding me here:

1. Saving money to use in other areas by Trading Tee while getting a solid replacement for him.

2. How Christian McCaffrey fit so well with the 49ers.  

Is there a move like that the Bengals could make ? say sign Saquon Barkley for example. Could Barkley have a McCaffrey type affect ?
Reply/Quote