Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Anybody to re look that draft strategy
(11-01-2020, 10:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: (Rookie Watch)

"Former Notre Dame edge rusher Khalid Kareem saw more snaps in Week 8 than he had in any of his first seven games as a Bengal (43 in total), and it didn’t go all that great. The fifth-round rookie won just 4% of his pass-rush reps and had a neutral zone infraction on a third down, which handed the Titans a fresh set of downs."

The one pick I didn’t like from this draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I find it funny that what was supposed to be strength going into the season has digressed to this. Dline that is. If it were just one of the veterans "falling off", that would be one thing, but that's not the case. Suddenly none of them can play well?

This is a mutiny against a terrible DC.

Well, Reader & Hubbard are on IR and Geno is limited. And Dunlap has been traded.

Lawson, Covington, Daniels, Bledsoe versus
Dunlap, Atkins, Reader, Hubbard.

And yes, Lou blows for trying to turn DEs into OLBs.
Reply/Quote
As for the draft, it will depend on where we pick.

For O-line, it appears that Sewell is the only top rated OT out there. We are (likely) gonna pick too late for him with NYG, Wash, Dal, Houston, & Miami left on the schedule, we are gonna win some (if not all) of those.

Assuming we are out of Sewell, Parsons, Chase range (that would be my top 5 with Lawrence & Fields), what do we do then?

The next best OL prospects I see both project as guards. Davis from OSU is an IOL all the way
Leatherwood from Bama plays OT but mistxsites project him as a guard. If we are top 10, that seems too high for a guard. I'd go CB (Surtain) or the best DE/Edge guy out there.

If we are out of the top 10? Then immediate OL help probably needs to come in FA. If we take a G, needs to be a significant upgrade to Spain/XSF. Take the best non QB/RB/FS player available. If it is WR, we need speed. Big, handsy, possession guys we got.
Reply/Quote
Just asking again...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just asking again...

11 sacks in 9 games suggests you are a 100% right that we need to draft a couple of pass rushers. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just asking again...

A pass rusher would be nice.  A WR that can actually get open would be a help.  Maybe a CB that can cover somebody once in awhile.  

Although seriously, you don't draft to fix your OL.  You draft to develop so you can maintain your OL.  You fix it in FA.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to trade back.in.the draft next year.and try to get
Another 2nd RD pick.
I would target best pass rushjng DE and OG
Then look.at CB.
Reply/Quote
The “good” thing is we need help in so many areas BPA could also fill a need. DE, DT, OG, CB, WR , TE...

QB, RB, and safety is about the only places we’re set.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:31 AM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals need to trade back.in.the draft next year.and try to get
Another 2nd RD pick.
I would target best pass rushjng DE  and OG
Then look.at CB.

Teams are not going to want to give up their 2nd to move up in a year where the salary cap will shrink. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:38 AM)Whatever Wrote: Teams are not going to want to give up their 2nd to move up in a year where the salary cap will shrink. 

Could be exactly why they want to move up. 

Reply/Quote
Look at the personnel we had out there today. Bledsoe and Covington have really impressed me this year. But are the better than Reader & (the old) Geno? No. We also played with a practice squad secondary. Pitt never really ran the ball well on us. Ben just made a living picking on our PS CBs out there. Oh, and we lost Alexander in the 1st QTR, making room for more PS CBs.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I want to see what Takk brings as a pass rusher. CB could be our biggest need if Takk is the missing piece. Right now Pass rush, CB, or offensive line early.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:27 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I want to see what Takk brings as a pass rusher. CB could be our biggest need if Takk is the missing piece. Right now Pass rush, CB, or offensive line early.

I’d be interested to see WJ3’s PFF grade from this game. Has to be one of the worst of his career. I’m leaning more and more towards not paying him, and going CB early in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be interested to see WJ3’s PFF grade from this game. Has to be one of the worst of his career. I’m leaning more and more towards not paying him, and going CB early in the draft.

I feel like WJ3's struggles are due to the scheme. He looked great in 2017. Struggled in 2018 under Austin, but he rebounded when Marvin took over. Now we have Lou's system and most of the D players, outside of Bates, have looked bad. Frankly I'm hoping we fire Lou after the season and get a DC who the players actually respect. Most of the media members have noticed how offensive players come to Zac's defense but no defensive players come to Lou's defense. 

The guy is basically another Austin.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:42 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I feel like WJ3's struggles are due to the scheme. He looked great in 2017. Struggled in 2018 under Austin, but he rebounded when Marvin took over. Now we have Lou's system and most of the D players, outside of Bates, have looked bad. Frankly I'm hoping we fire Lou after the season and get a DC who the players actually respect. Most of the media members have noticed how offensive players come to Zac's defense but no defensive players come to Lou's defense. 

The guy is basically another Austin.

But do you want to pay WJ3 top CB money? Cause that’s probably what his camp will be looking for. They’ll use Waynes contract as a negotiation point.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Could be exactly why they want to move up. 

Based on 2020 numbers, giving up your 2nd to move from 22 to 12 would save less than $500k.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 05:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I wanted to do a Defensive line thread in the draft section this week but didnt really have the time. It does look like there will be a few good choices for edge rushers at the top of the second round...

Defensive line is a huge need, but look at Washington:  They have one of the best statistical defenses in the league and they aren't winning much, either.  I guess their offense is just that bad?  Alex Smith had a nice game yesterday.  Good for him.

I guess after a loss like yesterday, I wonder about offense, defense, and coaching.  

The offense didn't stick with the run (again) despite the conditions.  The receivers weren't getting open.  The scheme had Burrow holding the ball too long.  Just so many questions again.

The defense had no pressure.  The LBs had no range (BTW, I didn't see Wilson?).  The CBs couldn't cover.  

It was a complete loss.  Sucked in every phase, and even had a fumble on ST to make it complete.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 10:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: Based on 2020 numbers, giving up your 2nd to move from 22 to 12 would save less than $500k.  

Yeah, but the earlier you pick the better chance you have at letting an expensive vet walk. Look at us:

If we stay up near the top and draft a guy like Pat Surtain II we can let WJIII walk. if we wait until the second then we most likely have to keep him for a year even if it means franchise.

Reply/Quote
Dline is our biggest need now. The Oline has started to steady, and I think Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Adenejii is serviceable. We have 0 ability to rush the passer on Defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, but the earlier you pick the better chance you have at letting an expensive vet walk. Look at us:

If we stay up near the top and draft a guy like Pat Surtain II we can let WJIII walk. if we wait until the second then we most likely have to keep him for a year even if it means franchise.

The problem is that teams will have to make those decisions on those expensive players before they know if they can move up or not.  And everyone is going to need cheap talent because of the cap shrinking.  Plus lots of teams press 2nd rounders into the starting lineup.  
Reply/Quote