Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone concerned about Hue Jackson, yet?
Well, I am starting to have some reservations about the product that he puts out there.  First off, I gave him a pass last season.  It was his first season, and the Bengals offense was injury riddled, particularly at receiving options.  However, as I watched Andy Dalton come completely unglued with two picks (only one that I fault him for), followed up by J Hill turning it over, I start to wonder about the guy.  Hue should have been a calming, reinforcing influence to get the starting O to at least come together for a scoring drive, but that did not happen.  The OL seemed like they weren't even pretending that it was a competitive situation that they were in.  I wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Jackson, and the offensive assistants?  Perhaps Hue Jackson is at his best, as a position coach, and the organization has over cast his role?

I realize that it is only the second preseason game, but that team, particularly the starting O, looked like it needs to reopen camp.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I am starting to have some reservations about the product that he puts out there.  First off, I gave him a pass last season.  It was his first season, and the Bengals offense was injury riddled, particularly at receiving options.  However, as I watched Andy Dalton come completely unglued with two picks (only one that I fault him for), followed up by J Hill turning it over, I start to wonder about the guy.  Hue should have been a calming, reinforcing influence to get the starting O to at least come together for a scoring drive, but that did not happen.  The OL seemed like they weren't even pretending that it was a competitive situation that they were in.  I wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Jackson, and the offensive assistants?  Perhaps Hue Jackson is at his best, as a position coach, and the organization has over cast his role?

I realize that it is only the second preseason game, but that team, particularly the starting O, looked like it needs to reopen camp.

I think the story of last night is the bad play of the OL starting with Winston continuing onto Bodine. The left side didn't fair too well either, but those 3 on the right got beat like a drum. Really anywhere Gerald McCoy went, they got destroyed. As I said somewhere else, McCoy got embarrassed last week, so he had something to prove. Also, it emphasizes how good of a RT Andre Smith really is. Sure he isn't here for preseason, but if he was in there, you wouldn't see pressure of the edge like that.

Bodine got beat multiple times and Big Z had some issues as well. Hopefully they can get it fixed, but our line isn't 100% right now either. I'm now starting to see why we drafted 2 OT's in the first round. Maybe our draft strategy wasn't as random as we all thought.
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely concerned.  I was last season and still am.  It is only pre-season, so there is a chance he can get it straightened out.  I guess we will soon see.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think the story of last night is the bad play of the OL starting with Winston continuing onto Bodine. The left side didn't fair too well either, but those 3 on the right got beat like a drum. Really anywhere Gerald McCoy went, they got destroyed. As I said somewhere else, McCoy got embarrassed last week, so he had something to prove. Also, it emphasizes how good of a RT Andre Smith really is. Sure he isn't here for preseason, but if he was in there, you wouldn't see pressure of the edge like that.

Bodine got beat multiple times and Big Z had some issues as well. Hopefully they can get it fixed, but our line isn't 100% right now either. I'm now starting to see why we drafted 2 OT's in the first round. Maybe our draft strategy wasn't as random as we all thought.

OL is part of the offense, correct?  Does not the OL coach answer to the OC?  I'm wondering why Jackson hasn't made getting the OL in working order, more of a priority?  That is why I question weather there may be some disconnect between Jackson, and the position coaches.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: OL is part of the offense, correct?  Does not the OL coach answer to the OC?  I'm wondering why Jackson hasn't made getting the OL in working order, more of a priority?  That is why I question weather there may be some disconnect between Jackson, and the position coaches.

Ya I dunno how it works with Paul Alexander. He probably has a way he wants to run the line and tells Hue to work his plays around his blocking schemes. I doubt Hue Jackson tells Paul how to make the line play. I don't know though. It could create disconnect... but I bet there is more disconnect between the lineman who are playing together than the coaches. We will just have to see how they play next week.
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is going to be just fine

that's not the problem with this team.

You're crazy if ya concerned about our stout line because of 1 preseason game
Reply/Quote
I'm very concerned Sunset but along with Hue nearly everything else as well. The lack of pride displayed by the 1st team last night while having their @$$e$ handed to them was unacceptable. They seemed very disconnected in all phases of the game. Not a performance of a playoff bound team to say the least.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I am starting to have some reservations about the product that he puts out there.  First off, I gave him a pass last season.  It was his first season, and the Bengals offense was injury riddled, particularly at receiving options.  However, as I watched Andy Dalton come completely unglued with two picks (only one that I fault him for), followed up by J Hill turning it over, I start to wonder about the guy.  Hue should have been a calming, reinforcing influence to get the starting O to at least come together for a scoring drive, but that did not happen.  The OL seemed like they weren't even pretending that it was a competitive situation that they were in.  I wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Jackson, and the offensive assistants?  Perhaps Hue Jackson is at his best, as a position coach, and the organization has over cast his role?

Im frustrated only with Hue's reluctance to use Gio to his strengths. He's not a in between the tackles kinda runner, but Hue runs him that way. Yea he gets a good run off every now and then, but a back like Gio needs to get the ball in space to be dangerous. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im frustrated only with Hue's reluctance to use Gio to his strengths. He's not a in between the tackles kinda runner, but Hue runs him that way. Yea he gets a good run off every now and then, but a back like Gio needs to get the ball in space to be dangerous. 

The problem is when Gio gets out in space for a screen, teams are on him like a fly on shit

we saw it last night, we saw it against the Colts
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:59 PM)Frank Pembleton Wrote: The offensive line is going to be just fine

Hold that thought. Get back to us later in the season. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:04 PM)Derrick Wrote: Hold that thought. Get back to us later in the season. Thanks.

I mean, the offensive line has been one of the better parts of this team for the last 4 seasons.

Not worried about Boling, Zeitler, or Whit.

Smith cant seem to stay healthy, but if he's healthy, he's fine.

Bodine is the only concerning player
Reply/Quote
Zero concerns here regarding what I've seen so far.

Most of my concerns are based on the last couple of years.

1. Center. The media makes it sound like Bodine is untouchable since "they traded up to get him." They traded up in the FOURTH round to get him. I hope he makes progress, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a different combination on the line.

2. QB. I keep waiting for big game consistency. We at least got a good big game vs. Denver out of him, but he still needs to step it up.

3. Dre. Sure, he had a couple good games at the end of the year, but is he truly good enough to be a starter. He struggled hard the first few years hear.

4. D-Line. IF Geno and MJ come back to full strength, I'm not very concerned about the pass rush. With Sims coming back, I hope the run defense will be better.

5. Burfict's head health. I'm not very concerned about the knee. However, the concussions that he had in the first few weeks worry me.

Nothing from preseason really changes these, but if the team starts out slow and the issues persist, it's going to be a long year.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya I dunno how it works with Paul Alexander. He probably has a way he wants to run the line and tells Hue to work his plays around his blocking schemes. I doubt Hue Jackson tells Paul how to make the line play. I don't know though. It could create disconnect... but I bet there is more disconnect between the lineman who are playing together than the coaches. We will just have to see how they play next week.

If Paul Alexander does not answer to/acquiesce to Hue Jackson's game plan, then the Bengals have a chain of command problem.

(08-25-2015, 07:59 PM)Frank Pembleton Wrote: The offensive line is going to be just fine

Are you sure about that, Frank?  All the Buccaneers did, is exactly what the Steelers do every time we play them, the playoff opponents do every season..  They take advantage of a weak interior line, and collapse a play, before it gets a chance to develop.  My main gripe with Paul Alexander is that he likes to build a line from the Tackles in, when in reality, a solid OL is built from the Center out.

(08-25-2015, 08:04 PM)Derrick Wrote: Hold that thought. Get back to us later in the season. Thanks.

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Have you seen our o-line in every big loss?  They get owned.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about that, Frank?  All the Buccaneers did, is exactly what the Steelers do every time we play them, the playoff opponents do every season..  They take advantage of a weak interior line, and collapse a play, before it gets a chance to develop.  My main gripe with Paul Alexander is that he likes to build a line from the Tackles in, when in reality, a solid OL is built from the Center out.

That's Alexander's fault. Preparation 

I know this offensive line is a talented group
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:36 PM)Frank Pembleton Wrote: That's Alexander's fault. Preparation 

I know this offensive line is a talented group

Any lazy coach can ruin a group of talented men.  But, Paul Alexander is supposed to be some sort of exalted one..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:35 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Have you seen our o-line in every big loss?  They get owned.

Good thing our elite QB is there to bail out those horrible losers on the line.

Can you imagine how bad they'd really look if we didn't specifically game plan and have a mastermind QB to throw so quickly on every play?

Boling and Zeitler are probably a bottom 5 guard tandem and don't even get me started on those awful tackles. Nobody thinks our line is good. Nobody. Bums.

Am I doing this right?
Reply/Quote
I was at the game and seeing the whole field, there wasn't very many open receivers. And pressure on top of that???? It was like the defense was running our routes for us. Reminded me very much of the Colts and first Cleveland regular season games last year. I hope Hue's got something better than that for the regular season. The I'm happy Gruden left crowd was kidding themselves, he had Dalton throwing for 4300 yards and 35 touchdowns with not much at the RB spot. Step your game up Hue
Reply/Quote

He talks a good fight.  Hey, he's just keeping all the good stuff under wraps until the regular season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yes. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but he got promoted due to the ever-famous Bengal "loyalty clause" where top outside candidates must not even be evaluated. He actually proved himself to be quite the moron trading a king's ransom for CP9. Nothing against Palmer, and it's cool to get ex-head coaches, but you have to question his judgment a little. What has he done for me lately...or ever, besides being a lovable character as coach (great season of Hard Knocks when Hueu was the star, to be sure)? That trade was one of the worst trades of all time even though CP9 found redemption in AZ.

It's also impossible to say for sure because we have a bottom 10 QB. On the bright side, this makes us one of the most interesting teams in the NFL to follow because we are such an enigma from one week to the next. Our entire team is like a gigantic blame game for why we're not as successful as we should be. Was it Gruden's fault? Marvin? Hue? Dalton? A.J. Green? Guenther? Can't say our beloved Bengals are not entertaining.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote