Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone concerned about Hue Jackson, yet?
(08-25-2015, 09:02 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Good thing our elite QB is there to bail out those horrible losers on the line.

Can you imagine how bad they'd really look if we didn't specifically game plan and have a mastermind QB to throw so quickly on every play?

Boling and Zeitler are probably a bottom 5 guard tandem and don't even get me started on those awful tackles. Nobody thinks our line is good. Nobody. Bums.

Am I doing this right?

As usual you can't do shit right. Too many years sucking hind teet and clinging to your mommy from what I can glean.
Sure, they all deserve a pass for looking like chumps against a team that Zim's O and D made look like a high school team on the previous week. Let's just give all of the millionaires a pass there Mr. Wonderful Career.
They sucked hind teet last night and on many other occasions have done exactly the same. Obviously you can relate so you're being passive aggressive in trying to defend their gawd awful play. 
Reply/Quote
I think it's hilarious that people are mad about preseason game planning. I mean honestly teams really don't game plan against other teams weaknesses in preseason. They just go out there and do genaric play calls. I will be worried if this continues during the season, but I really doubt it will. People need to take a chill pill then follow it up with a deep breath. Everyone is going to forget about this game in a few weeks once the season starts and we destroy the Raiders.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As usual you can't do shit right. Too many years sucking hind teet and clinging to your mommy from what I can glean.
Sure, they all deserve a pass for looking like chumps against a team that Zim's O and D made look like a high school team on the previous week. Let's just give all of the millionaires a pass there Mr. Wonderful Career.
They sucked hind teet last night and on many other occasions have done exactly the same. Obviously you can relate so you're being passive aggressive in trying to defend their gawd awful play. 

You do realize that it was a preseason game last night right? The offensive line isn't bad. It might have looked that way because the buccs were playing like it was their superbowl. We have a really good offensive line. I don't think it's as good as what djs thinks but it's good. The buccs were trying to win at home to get their fans in the seats this season. We can't ignore how good the team has played in the past because of one preseason game. People need to relax.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:00 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: Yes. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but he got promoted due to the ever-famous Bengal "loyalty clause" where top outside candidates must not even be evaluated. 

You need to educate yourself.

Neither Gruden nor Zimmer were promoted from within the organization.  Neither were Bob Bratkowski or Leslie Frazier

The more you know they less you look stupid.
Reply/Quote
"Top" outside candidates. Selective editing/revisionist history. You took something very specific then broadened it to try to use as a straw man for whatever point you were trying to make. We don't hire any top outside candidates, whether it be for coaching or FA.

True, I can't even remember where Bratkowski/Frazier were hired from. You got me. I became an avid fan right after that time. But I would be absolutely shocked if they were considered premiere hires at the time. Some things will never change!
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:54 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: "Top" outside candidates. Selective editing/revisionist history. You took something very specific then broadened it to try to use as a straw man for whatever point you were trying to make. We don't hire any top outside candidates, whether it be for coaching or FA.

True, I can't even remember where Bratkowski/Frazier were hired from. You got me. I became an avid fan right after that time. But I would be absolutely shocked if they were considered premiere hires at the time. Some things will never change!

Zimmer had coached the #1 defense in the entire league while DC with the Cowboys and finished in the top ten 3 of his six seasons in Dallas.

Bratkowski had coached the #3 offense (yards) in the league while OC with the Seahawks, and also finished in the top 10 in scoring offense 3 of his 4 seasons in Seattle.
Reply/Quote
Hue as an OC

2007 Falcons - 29th
2010 Raiders - 6th
2011 Raiders - 16th (he was the HC, but did most of the OC legwork I think)
2014 Bengals - 18th

Hmm, not sure what to expect from this guy. He seemed to run a vertical passing offense in Oakland, but that doesn't seem to be his cup o tea here?
Reply/Quote
Hue Jackson is the type of OC that needs his QB to throw the ball down the field i.e. vertical. Dalton isn't that type of QB. This marriage was doomed from the beginning. I think the worst thing to happen to Dalton was Gruden moving on to the Redskins.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:33 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Hue Jackson is the type of OC that needs his QB to throw the ball down the field i.e. vertical. Dalton isn't that type of QB. This marriage was doomed from the beginning. I think the worst thing to happen to Dalton was Gruden moving on to the Redskins.

I wouldn't say a lack of Gruden doomed Dalton, but I will say that Hue and Dalton don't seem to be a QB/OC match made in heaven.  It's not the end-all stat, but Hue's QBs have all been of the big and/or strong variety.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You do realize that it was a preseason game last night right? The offensive line isn't bad. It might have looked that way because the buccs were playing like it was their superbowl. We have a really good offensive line. I don't think it's as good as what djs thinks but it's good. The buccs were trying to win at home to get their fans in the seats this season. We can't ignore how good the team has played in the past because of one preseason game. People need to relax.

Been a Bengal for as long as I remember, I'm 44 bud. Agree with some of what you posted here. Wts, I did watch the entire Bucs vs Vikes game the week prior. Peterson didn't play a snap. Except for a Winston scramble for a TD the Vikes D owned them the entire game. 
Very relaxed my friend but not relaxed at all where the Bengals are concerned. The first team D and O played like shit. Our ridiculously overpaid QB forced a pick into triple coverage and our bell cow back put the ball on the turf. Both instances very much reminiscent of things that they both did too often last season. Hill found himself in the doghouse last season because of fumble issues and Dalton doesn't go through his progressions and still locks in on is guy no matter how many guys are covering that WR or how many times he's made the same mistake. Once he gets shook up he falls to pieces and it's happened many times in just that same manner in his short career. 
That's just the facts jack!
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 02:54 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Been a Bengal for as long as I remember, I'm 44 bud. Agree with some of what you posted here. Wts, I did watch the entire Bucs vs Vikes game the week prior. Peterson didn't play a snap. Except for a Winston scramble for a TD the Vikes D owned them the entire game. 
Very relaxed my friend but not relaxed at all where the Bengals are concerned. The first team D and O played like shit. Our ridiculously overpaid QB forced a pick into triple coverage and our bell cow back put the ball on the turf. Both instances very much reminiscent of things that they both did too often last season. Hill found himself in the doghouse last season because of fumble issues and Dalton doesn't go through his progressions and still locks in on is guy no matter how many guys are covering that WR or how many times he's made the same mistake. Once he gets shook up he falls to pieces and it's happened many times in just that same manner in his short career. 
That's just the facts jack!

How is it a fact? Dalton spreads the ball around fine. Dalton has a good amount of comeback wins too. Hill had a few fumbles last year, but it was his rookie season. A lot of great running backs had that problem early in their career and then it fixed (Peterson had 19 fumbles his first 3 years). We have had bad games in the past and this was just another one. The thing about this one though is there was no game plan, there was nothing but vanilla play calling across the board. It also didn't mean anything, not for a playoff spot, not even for really evaluating our 1s, because we weren't really scheming against the Buccaneers. The buccaneers wanted a home win very bad, because the last time they had a home win was in 2013 (including preseason).

FWIW only people who don't know how Daltons contract works says he's overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As usual you can't do shit right. Too many years sucking hind teet and clinging to your mommy from what I can glean.

And as usual you're posting in the middle of the night and sound like a drunken lunatic like in the fantasy football thread. Good job, did you just get off your shift at 7/11??

You know you're doing a terrible job at bashing me when my arch-nemesis of the boards owns you for attacking me. I bet your parents are so proud.

You've clearly proven that you don't know shit about the Bengals in this thread, and you clearly get way too worked up about stuff that you aren't even knowledgeable about. I'd probably bow out of this before it gets much worse.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I am starting to have some reservations about the product that he puts out there.  First off, I gave him a pass last season.  It was his first season, and the Bengals offense was injury riddled, particularly at receiving options.  However, as I watched Andy Dalton come completely unglued with two picks (only one that I fault him for), followed up by J Hill turning it over, I start to wonder about the guy.  Hue should have been a calming, reinforcing influence to get the starting O to at least come together for a scoring drive, but that did not happen.  The OL seemed like they weren't even pretending that it was a competitive situation that they were in.  I wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Jackson, and the offensive assistants?  Perhaps Hue Jackson is at his best, as a position coach, and the organization has over cast his role?

I realize that it is only the second preseason game, but that team, particularly the starting O, looked like it needs to reopen camp.

I know it is only preseason, but i would have liked to still seen some adjustments vs Tampa.  For instance, if Andy is getting a lot of pressure, why not roll him out a play or two.  Mix it up some.  But all this was happening because we couldn't run the ball.
Reply/Quote
I have concerns with the Offense. Specifically why can't we ever have TE"s and receivers wide open? It seems like every team can hit receivers down the field not on deep balls but clear passing lanes. Dalton and Palmer in recent years have never had that luxury. They are always having to thread the needle 10-15 yards down field. Is it the scheme? It feels like the offense is so bunched that there is never a clear "open" receiver.

Some OC's know how to get receivers open. Re-watch the game. The Bucs receivers were wide open with clear throwing lanes and Winston didn't have to thread the needle on most throws (some he did). Our TE's never run open for big chunk yardage like other teams as "talented" as they have been advertised to be. When our receivers catch the ball they have to break a tackle right away to get yac. They are never schemed to be left free for a catch and run it seems. Just something to think about. That's one thing I've always been impressed with the Shanihan's scheme. Their receivers are always wide open (mainly due to their strong playaction boot game).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Quote:Anyone concerned about Hue Jackson, yet? -
Nope.
Next question.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: I have concerns with the Offense. Specifically why can't we ever have TE"s and receivers wide open? It seems like every team can hit receivers down the field not on deep balls but clear passing lanes. Dalton and Palmer in recent years have never had that luxury. They are always having to thread the needle 10-15 yards down field. Is it the scheme? It feels like the offense is so bunched that there is never a clear "open" receiver.

Some OC's know how to get receivers open. Re-watch the game. The Bucs receivers were wide open with clear throwing lanes and Winston didn't have to thread the needle on most throws (some he did). Our TE's never run open for big chunk yardage like other teams as "talented" as they have been advertised to be. When our receivers catch the ball they have to break a tackle right away to get yac. They are never schemed to be left free for a catch and run it seems. Just something to think about. That's one thing I've always been impressed with the Shanihan's scheme. Their receivers are always wide open (mainly due to their strong playaction boot game).

You think receivers being open or not is due to offensive scheming?

lolwat

I'm not a Hue fan, but this is just a very illogical point to try to be making.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Zimmer had coached the #1 defense in the entire league while DC with the Cowboys and finished in the top ten 3 of his six seasons in Dallas.

Bratkowski had coached the #3 offense (yards) in the league while OC with the Seahawks, and also finished in the top 10 in scoring offense 3 of his 4 seasons in Seattle.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about Zim, but he was not a top hire at the time by any stretch. It seems you have fully bought into the "Bengal Way" of accolades in the distant past counting toward being a top hire. By this logic, James Harrison was a marquee FA signing. We got the DPOY baby! Great thing Coach Zim worked out like he did, but just coming off coaching a horrible Atlanta team, few people were buzzed about the hire at the time. If only we could coax Brett Favre out of retirement, we could have a two-time Super Bowl winning QB! Elite FA signing!
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I am starting to have some reservations about the product that he puts out there.  First off, I gave him a pass last season.  It was his first season, and the Bengals offense was injury riddled, particularly at receiving options.  However, as I watched Andy Dalton come completely unglued with two picks (only one that I fault him for), followed up by J Hill turning it over, I start to wonder about the guy.  Hue should have been a calming, reinforcing influence to get the starting O to at least come together for a scoring drive, but that did not happen.  The OL seemed like they weren't even pretending that it was a competitive situation that they were in.  I wonder if there is some sort of disconnect between Jackson, and the offensive assistants?  Perhaps Hue Jackson is at his best, as a position coach, and the organization has over cast his role?

I realize that it is only the second preseason game, but that team, particularly the starting O, looked like it needs to reopen camp.
oh please..this was a preseason game..go check out some of the monumental losses by teams in preseason over the course of the years..the very same teams went on to win titles that very same year

if you realize that this is preseason , as you sy you do, then quit worrying
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 07:28 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You know you're doing a terrible job at bashing me when my arch-nemesis of the boards owns you for attacking me. I bet your parents are so proud.

All my life, all I've wanted is an arch-nemesis.
Reply/Quote
My only concern is it looked like midway through the second quarter we were starting t try and continuing to fail. Which may have just been my perception, so I'm not reading too much into it.
Reply/Quote