Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone down for some Saquon Barkley?
Gotta love the offseason before free agency.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 09:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Gotta love the offseason before free agency.

I’d be down for sure. Still need another back because he’s only gonna play like 9 games. But he’s exactly the type of player we need to make a chance on.

How can we improve over last 3 years if we make lateral moves? Barkley is an upgrade over Mixon and Brown.
Reply/Quote
Smile 
I’m not convinced he’s that guy. He has nearly 1500 touches in his career with a major knee injury and history of ankle issues. I only caught a couple of his games last season but he struggled making guys miss and generating yardage for himself which is the same issue Mixon has.

A quick check on PFF at their elusiveness stat, Mixon is near the very bottom of the league and Barkley is only barely above him so the data at least backs up that initial thought.

I’d have to sit down and watch more games of his to get a better feel but I’m not hot on him, especially at $11M. He’s a big name but I’m not convinced he’s still a big talent.
Reply/Quote
Not sure, especially since he probably looking for a lot of dinero...
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t mind drafting a RB to replace Trayveon.

But I’m totally fine having Mixon, Brown, and Evans back for 2024.

With Mixon and Brown going to more of an even snap split. Brown looked like a guy we definitely need to get the ball to more.

Mixon is still only 27. Doesn’t fumble. And knows how to stay healthy through the rigors of being an NFL lead back. And should continue climbing up the ranks of all time Bengal running backs in 2024.

Saquon will likely be one of the top paid RBs in the league after free agency. Meanwhile Mixon took a pay cut last year to compete for championships here. I’m sticking with our guy.
Reply/Quote
If we had a better OL I would consider it but we don't. So I'm not sure how Barkley would do here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I feel like there's way bigger holes we can fill in FA. I think if we got had a better OL Mixon would play way better anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 10:58 PM)J24 Wrote: If we had a better OL I would consider it but we don't. So I'm not sure how Barkley would do here.

The Giants have traditionally had worse lines than us (they literally traded for Billy Price) and he still produced there.

Reply/Quote
I'd rather sign Uncle Lenny on the cheap as insurance before the draft. If we get a BPA RB steal, then we can cut him. Barkley is too much money.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
King Heney is at the same point in his career when he went to NE.

Gimme the King for about 2 years
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 10:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wouldn’t mind drafting a RB to replace Trayveon.

With Mixon and Brown going to more of an even snap split. Brown looked like a guy we definitely need to get the ball to more.

Mixon is still only 27. Doesn’t fumble. And knows how to stay healthy through the rigors of being an NFL lead back. And should continue climbing up the ranks of all time Bengal running backs in 2024.

Saquon will likely be one of the top paid RBs in the league after free agency. Meanwhile Mixon took a pay cut last year to compete for championships here. I’m sticking with our guy.

Mixon is also still a HUGE liability in pass protection. I didn't think it was possible, but he actually got worse this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 10:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wouldn’t mind drafting a RB to replace Trayveon.

Why give Evan’s a pass 

Trayveon hasn’t secured his spot, but neither has Evan’s in my opinion.

As for Barkley. I think he’ll be good for a few more years with a fresh start. It’ll be interesting to see if the days of paying RBs are over for them. I personally would spend the money elsewhere and continue to look for a mid to late round steal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Nope. Not paying supposed "top flight" RBs in a pass-first offense unless it's someone who really moves the needle, and even then I'm second guessing my decision. Barkley is too "buyer beware" for me. How many games will he play? How effective will he be behind THIS offensive line? Is that worth the pricetag? Probably not.

I've resigned myself to another (final) season of Mixon but with much more Chase Brown sprinkled in. Maybe they pick up a cheap "prove it" deal on a vet to fill out the room but I would bet a late round pick is spent there if we don't use any picks to move around in the draft. Just wanna add, Mixon is who he is at this point, he's never going to be a serviceable pass protector. Chase Brown REALLY needs to work on this part of his game if he wants more snaps in 2024.
Reply/Quote
2 of his 3 years since tearing his ACL have been very bad. His YAC/Rush is also like a full yard lower than it was before his ACL tear, he's had an 8-10% drop rate and is a worse pass catcher than Mixon. I don't trust him to stay both healthy and good.

Also don't want to finally get out from Mixon's contract just to sink more money into a RB. Go young and cheap at RB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I mean Saquan Barkley is one name but the Free Agent running back market... lol

A few more veteran names. Austin Ekler, Zack Moss, Gus Edwards.

Edit: Damien Harris is also a guy to watch but his neck injury from this season makes him alot more iffy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 12:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: Why give Evan’s a pass 

Trayveon hasn’t secured his spot, but neither has Evan’s in my opinion.

As for Barkley. I think he’ll be good for a few more years with a fresh start. It’ll be interesting to see if the days of paying RBs are over for them. I personally would spend the money elsewhere and continue to look for a mid to late round steal.

We got a grand total of 5 touches to evaluate from last year. Two carries two kick returns and 1 catch on 1 target.

We all saw a little flash of ability in 2021. But he has been buried on the depth chart his whole career. Behind Perine and now Brown. He has been good enough to stick on an NFL roster and was a draft pick of ours that is still on his rookie contract. I haven’t seen anything that makes me want to cut him.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 01:51 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We got a grand total of 5 touches to evaluate from last year. Two carries two kick returns and 1 catch on 1 target.

We all saw a little flash of ability in 2021. But he has been buried on the depth chart his whole career. Behind Perine and now Brown. He has been good enough to stick on an NFL roster and was a draft pick of ours that is still on his rookie contract. I haven’t seen anything that makes me want to cut him.

Evans has not been productive since 2017.  Yes 2017.

Since then Evans has had the following:

18 carries in 2018. UM 

Suspended from the team in 2019.  UM

1 start and 16 carries in 2020.  UM

Michigan couldnt trust him.  We should never have spent a 6th on him, a 7th was likely too much for such a gamble.  He is either not trustworthy with the playbook, unable to block, has terrible work ethic, maybe a bad attitude?  Possibly a combo of some of these, but he has simply not been trusted by coaches in college or the pros for whatever reason.  Trayveon is likely miles ahead of him with this staff.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 01:43 AM)Synric Wrote: I mean Saquan Barkley is one name but the Free Agent running back market... lol

A few more veteran names. Austin Ekler, Zack Moss, Gus Edwards.

Edit: Damien Harris is also a guy to watch but his neck injury from this season makes him alot more iffy.

I was very impressed with Moss this season. If he is on the market I would like to see Cincinnati bring him in. 
Reply/Quote
I am not advocating for Barkley, just posting info. We will know March 16th what the plan is for Mixon. If he is cut before the roster bonus Im sure we will have plenty of speculation. Im not for spending any big money on RB.

RT is a must a sign. There is a handful.
DT is a must sign.
Fant at TE is my one named player that Im shooting for.

Reply/Quote
I don't see us signing Barkley or Henry. I'm not sure why these betting sites always think we're going after either one of them. I see the Bengals going after a RB in free agency, but it's definitely not going to be a sexy name. I could see the Bengals going after CEH from KC and reunite him with Burrow. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote