Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Apple Needs to STFU
Scouting reports from college? Seriously? Eli has become a totally different player under Lou in Cincinnati than he was previously. Dude has been solid as can be for us since Chido went down.

And speaking of Chido, he has the same # of INT’s (2) as Apple as a Bengal. So lack of picks is pretty weak argument.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 03:14 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Yeah, I saw this and Eli & his mom are getting roasted for this too.  Stuff like taking from Damar's charity

Twitter is wild

Say what? Any charity given to another place is now taking away from Damar’s charity. Didn’t take that pendulum long to swing to the extreme. People get so excessive that you can’t feel good about anything for long.

I think I am now all for Eli doing whatever he wants. I don’t want ten of him, but one is cool.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I feel like this stuff keeps him in our price range. Keep it up Eli. I’ll take him back on our team next year too when none of the big offers roll in.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Say what?  Any charity given to another place is now taking away from Damar’s charity. Didn’t take that pendulum long to swing to the extreme. People get so excessive that you can’t feel good about anything for long.

I think I am now all for Eli doing whatever he wants. I don’t want ten of him, but one is cool.

All things considered, I guess I would rather him be mouthy and trollish than getting the team in trouble with dirty play on the field. Plus like everyone else is saying, the more social media foolishness, the more likely we can keep him at a reduced price. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The ultimate point is the headache ain’t worth what he brings.  The Bengals don’t have much choice this year due to depth concerns.  Once they have more depth it’s really no different than Vanderjat, Kluwe, and many others
running their yaps.  Dudes who aren’t elite are eminently replaceable when they stir up too much shit, especially when it’s just petty trolling.  I don’t mind confidence bordering on cockiness, but Eli is just a troll, and that’s pretty common knowledge across the league.  Peruse player’s Twitter accounts and player podcast interviews and they all say the same thing.

Fans of other teams are starting to not like Joe B and Chase, guess we should get rid of them too.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The ultimate point is the headache ain’t worth what he brings.  The Bengals don’t have much choice this year due to depth concerns.  Once they have more depth it’s really no different than Vanderjat, Kluwe, and many others
running their yaps.  Dudes who aren’t elite are eminently replaceable when they stir up too much shit, especially when it’s just petty trolling.  I don’t mind confidence bordering on cockiness, but Eli is just a troll, and that’s pretty common knowledge across the league.  Peruse player’s Twitter accounts and player podcast interviews and they all say the same thing.

Who has a headache from Eli, he brings me nothing but joy. Maybe you need a Tylenol the rest of us are good. Give one to Destro as well please.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:36 AM)basballguy Wrote: Is this an emotional take or do you have stats to back it up?  I don't subscribe to PFF anymore so I can't speak to player grading there.  So for me, i'd have to use what stats are available.....0 ints, lower tackles, no forced TOs....

Using just the eye test I'd say they're about equal in coverage.  

I would think a "better" cover corner would at least be capable of snagging some INTs.

I'll close with some bullets from Eli's scouting report coming out of college...he hasn't changed a bit...the guy does not learn.  

Pay attention to who gets targeted more. Last year, it was Eli. This year, since Awuzie went down, opposing teams are throwing at CTB quite a bit more than Eli. That’s not by accident. CTB is playing well for a rookie, I’m not saying he’s not a good player. But judging coverage skills on interceptions isn’t a fair way to evaluate corners if they aren’t getting targeted equally.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eli is currently a better cover corner than CTB. And this is coming from a big CTB guy.

I disagree, but even if the opinions differ, Apple has been around for years compared to the rookies number of games, plus he does embarrass himself year after year with his antics. With Eli, the squeeze isn't worth the juice ( apple juice ).
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:19 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Where did you find this scale that tells you the value of each players contribution?

I guess you take PFF as truth.

If you are in a Bengals uniform and are currently on this team, I got your back. I am rooting you on every step of the way. I am not a fan of the backup QB Allen, but I will root my ass off for him till he is no longer a Bengal.

I do not look for a Bengal player to point at and say you are the worst I will leave that up to you to judge people. We are in the playoffs this is not the time to figure out how to improve the team by letting players walk or signing new guys or keeping guys and re-signing guys. It is the time to root for your team and enjoy the playoffs that we have been trying so hard to get too for years.

PFF is not gospel, but it is one of many places where you can look up stats and see how he compares to the rest of the team, which is below. You watch the games for the past two years and the eye ranking will tell you the same. His peers feel the same way. Just because he is a Bengals does not mean he can't suck. 

I hope for him to have a great game. I have said as much in Game Day threads. Reality he is the biggest liability on defense, easily. He will get a pass break up, people, including himself will act like he is Revis. He will bite inside, give up 30 yards or a TD and everyone gets quiet again. I didn't get an answer on who is a worse starting defender.

Today, we are also adding in that he gets on the internet like a 15 year old kid who talks crap on the internet. As much crap as the O-line has been in the past number of years, you don't hear them say anything, or anything said about them by fellow players. Why Apple? Because he pretty much sucks when it comes to personality. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 06:19 AM)Destro Wrote: I disagree, but even if the opinions differ, Apple has been around for years compared to the rookies number of games, plus he does embarrass himself year after year with his antics. With Eli, the squeeze isn't worth the juice ( apple juice ).

Considering our season would probably have gone down the drain without him (seriously - are we in the AFCCG with Tre Flowers or Alan George as a starting outside CB?), I’d say he’s well worth it.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 02:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote:
Ask any corner to guard Cooper Kupp 1 on 1 while the offense is on the opponent's 1 yard line. Kupp is catching the ball 9/10 times

you're getting mad that a decent corner lost to what was the best receiver in the game in 2021

reign the emotions in, big fella

Which is no different than those who want to roast Quentin Spain because A-Aron Donald got by him. A-Aron gets by everyone 9 times out of 10. that's why he's A-Aron.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 03:07 PM)pally Wrote:

I know she's from Gahna, but I don't think she Maths very well. 5000 dollars for the first 5000 tweets using that hashtag is 25 million dollars. I'm not even sure Eli has made that amount yet. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 01:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Scouting reports from college? Seriously? Eli has become a totally different player under Lou in Cincinnati than he was previously. Dude has been solid as can be for us since Chido went down.

And speaking of Chido, he has the same # of INT’s (2) as Apple as a Bengal. So lack of picks is pretty weak argument.

Was Eli the starting CB coming into the season opposite of Chimdi or was it Hilton?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 01:39 PM)motoarch Wrote: Y'all loved when burfict took head shots but fall apart when Eli tweets.

Talk about snowflakes.

Going back even further, I remember when everyone would say they wished Chad would knock it off when he was sending Pepto-Bismal to the backfield prior to the game, showing the media a list of corners he was scheduled to play, then publicly place checks by their name after the game stating they couldn't cover him (whether they did or not), guaranteeing wins, etc. Now everyone loves Chad (including me) and there is a nostalgia to get him back in the building in some shape or form. Can you imagine if social media was as big as it is now when he was playing? 
Reply/Quote
My final thoughts:

- I don't mind professional athletes talking trash.
- Eli is a try-hard; I offer that is why this thread persists. He's not smooth like Burrow or Hilton with trash talking; Apple is toolish so we post our subjective gripes.
- Eli is a Cincinnati Bengal so I'll root for him to kick ass against KC and then Phi/SF.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:01 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Was Eli the starting CB coming into the season opposite of Chimdi or was it Hilton?

Eli has been a starter on the outside all season. Hilton is a slot corner.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 05:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: I do hope we draft CB 1st or 2nd round.  

Eli is not as awful as he was last year (or previous years) but that can also be attributed to better defensive scheming.  He's still a shit tackler.

I also have no stats to backup anything above so I invite anyone with stats that either confirms or refutes the above statements.  All I know is i found myself saying "Of course it's Eli" a lot less this year.  

I'm not sure on those stats either, but I do know that we likely lose the AFCCG last year if he doesn't make that critical stop on Hill at the goal line. That was a nice tackle.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eli has been a starter on the outside all season. Hilton is a slot corner.

I thought CTB was promoted ahead of him for a game, but then Awuzie got injured and Apple became a starter again?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:52 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I thought CTB was promoted ahead of him for a game, but then Awuzie got injured and Apple became a starter again?

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I think you're right. I actually think Awuzie got hurt in the game CTB replaced Apple as the starter, so it wasn't even a full game he was on the bench.  Could be wrong though.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 11:59 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I think you're right. I actually think Awuzie got hurt in the game CTB replaced Apple as the starter, so it wasn't even a full game he was on the bench.  Could be wrong though.  

That sounds about right to me. I remember it being a super brief period that he rode the pine.
Reply/Quote