Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?
(06-12-2017, 10:58 AM)bengals67 Wrote: If we lose two games to Steelers like we always do how can we be a Super Bowl contender.

Maybe in 2018 if we have a new coach. Not this year.

There is a lot of talent at skilled positions on offense and on defense.

Easy, win the other 14, get a first round bye, and hope the Steelers don't make the playoffs or get eliminated before playing the Bengals Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think our defense will play their ASS off this upcoming season. We have 3 DPOY candidates in Dunlap, Vontaz, and Atkins. If they show up like I think they will this front seven will be special. I also like the secondary and feel like Dennard will have a pro bowl type season along with Iloka at safety. Wallace Gilberry playing the whole season at nickle DT with Lawson at Nickle DE will have a positive impact on the team. Offensively there some questions but at the end of the day they have the peaces to somewhat overcome the o line. So yes there championship quality but they would have to grind it out.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Easy, win the other 14, get a first round bye, and hope the Steelers don't make the playoffs or get eliminated before playing the Bengals Ninja

You are right!

Win the other 14 and Steelers don't make playoffs and we have a 20% shot of winning a playoff game under Lewis.

Odds higher that we play Houston and have a second half meltdown and cannot cover their tight end.
Reply/Quote
Look at it this way..... last years team with a lot less talent would have had a pretty good record if not for some shanked kicks. At least that part of the game should be fixed....
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 12:53 AM)BFritz21 Wrote:

People are writing-off Ogbuehi, but I feel like having him focus on his natural position and having all off-season to improve will allow him to be successful and protect Andy's blindside.  Fisher being full-time at RT should also allow him to be successful.

Bodine still worries me, but, if he can even be average, I feel like our line could be ok, but that's a BIG IF.

Ogbuehi should scare you a million times more than Bodine. He makes Bodine look like a pro bowler.  Cry
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the defense is super bowl caliber. On offense, at skilled position the team is super bowl caliber. O-line is a question mark. If team can stay healthy, the Bengals have as good chance as any to get to super bowl.

Let's see if Zampese can utilize weapons. Let's see if Marvin Lewis can manage clock well.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If our OLine somehow becomes a strength then the sky's the limit. I'm also a little worried about our secondary but it has potential
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 03:39 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Ogbuehi should scare you a million times more than Bodine. He makes Bodine look like a pro bowler.  Cry

I'd normally agree but I'm just basing it off of Ogb living up to his potential and draft position, whereas it rarely clicks for a player like Bodine where they suddenly become high quality players.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 07:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd normally agree but I'm just basing it off of Ogb living up to his potential and draft position, whereas it rarely clicks for a player like Bodine where they suddenly become high quality players.

This is where I am holding onto a little bit of hope as well. Ced was a first rounder with a ton of talent coming out of college. Lots of teams were high on him and if not for his injury, he's probably not there for the Bengals to draft. Bodine was a later pick, while it is possible for those guys to become Pro-Bowlers (see Geno Atkins) the ceiling for a 4th rounder usually isn't as high as a first rounder in terms of raw talent.

Bodine can develop into a solid and steady player and that would be great. Ced has the raw talent to be a Pro-Bowler, he just has to translate that skill to the pro game.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Ahh heck, why not us!!! Sh*t happens, you never know....
Reply/Quote
As always Bengals.com is hyping things making them sound like everyone else in the league is going to be playing in wheelchairs while our guys will be playing with jet packs, but what the heck..that's Hobson's job so I don't hold it against him. 
I'm far more interested in whether these guys can flat out play than if they're fast. It's not a track meet.. Our best defensive player isn't exactly a burner, but has the knack for being in the right position most of the time. 
I really could care less if they all go out in March and get drunk and arrested. 

Sure, speed helps, but there's a lot more to football than being able to run fast for 120 feet..
Any team can contend for the SB.. Having a boat load of luck on their side certainly can't hurt. This may just be their lucky season. We'll see. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: As always Bengals.com is hyping things making them sound like everyone else in the league is going to be playing in wheelchairs while our guys will be playing with jet packs, but what the heck..that's Hobson's job so I don't hold it against him. 
I'm far more interested in whether these guys can flat out play than if they're fast. It's not a track meet.. Our best defensive player isn't exactly a burner, but has the knack for being in the right position most of the time. 
I really could care less if they all go out in March and get drunk and arrested. 

Sure, speed helps, but there's a lot more to football than being able to run fast for 120 feet..
Any team can contend for the SB.. Having a boat load of luck on their side certainly can't hurt. This may just be their lucky season. We'll see. 

Um......  this was written by Katherine Terrell at ESPN, not Hobson.

Mellow

And Ross is the only one that they mentioned anything about speed about.  I'm thinking you just saw that and thought it was an opening to ***** about an optimistic post.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Um......  this was written by Katherine Terrell at ESPN, not Hobson.

Mellow

And Ross is the only one that they mentioned anything about speed about.  I'm thinking you just saw that and thought it was an opening to ***** about an optimistic post.

Ehh.. Just musings from the Bengals site.. Just my own personal opinions.. I probably ought to go read the article if it'll make you feel better. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh.. Just musings from the Bengals site.. Just my own personal opinions.. I probably ought to go read the article if it'll make you feel better. 

Um.........  no, I'm just wondering why you're posting in this thread if you didn't even read the article and how it's Hobson trying to hype things when he didn't even write it?
Reply/Quote
Way too soon to tell and we have an unproven offensive line and some players that were horrendous last year.

I'm going to say no we aren't because of that. The RB situation is also kind of scary looking.
Reply/Quote
I have 0 faith in Marv getting us to a Super Bowl. Are the players assembled SB caliber? Yes.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
They are 55/1 to win the super bowl

They aren't contenders
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 10:58 AM)bengals67 Wrote: If we lose two games to Steelers like we always do how can we be a Super Bowl contender.

Maybe in 2018 if we have a new coach. Not this year.

There is a lot of talent at skilled positions on offense and on defense.

I see this a lot, about pitt, but I believe this team is built to beat the steelers.  Finally getting pressure from the front four won't allow Piggy to roll around back there and expecting our secondary to cover for 5-6 seconds.  The other improvement will be the speed at LB position.  Helps cover the TEs and backs as pitt likes to check it down a lot.  Looks like their WR, Martavis Bryant, is being reinstated and will be a huge addition to their vertical game.  We need to hope WJIII is as advertised.  

On offense, I can't wait to see how pitt lines up against the Bengals.  I seriously doubt there are 8 and sometimes 9 guys crowding the line of scrimmage.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 08:39 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: They are 55/1 to win the super bowl

They aren't contenders

Care to give any explanation as to why?
Reply/Quote
Wow, an ESPN article that actually nails it? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Reps Brad, this is all true and i agree with what you said as well. We will probably be worse at LT this season but Og
will be better than he was last year, that is a given. Like i have said Whit could fall of for all we know and this could of
been the right decision. Fisher staying at one position is huge. The things he was asked to do was crazy.

Keep Fisher at RT please. Also think Andre should be a big time upgrade in the running game at RG.

Boling healthy...

There are definately tons of reasons for optimism even at our pre-determined weakness.

Don't get questioning our Secondary though, we were tough to pass on last year and by adding Willis, Lawson, Billings,
WJ3 and Minter would should be much tougher to pass on this year.
Reply/Quote