Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?
(06-14-2017, 04:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which seems awfully unlikely considering the last time the Patriots didn't make it to the AFC Championship game was 2010.

No doubt, Awfully unlikely, they are heads and above the best team in the AFC.

We have a damn fine looking roster but in the end Belicheck is a great coach and Lewis is a terrible one when it matters the most.

Complete opposites in big games.

(06-14-2017, 04:13 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Can the Bengals win the Super Bowl this year? Sure. Will they? Probably not yet. But, the upside looks good for this team.

Really? I thought you said we were in re-build mode and we should trade AJ Green. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 12:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, Awfully unlikely, they are heads and above the best team in the AFC.

We have a damn fine looking roster but in the end Belicheck is a great coach and Lewis is a terrible one when it matters the most.

[size=medium]Complete opposites in big games.[/size

Belicheck is a great coach, but I think he gets way too much credit because Brady's the most clutch QB in NFL history. On top of Brady, the Super Bowls in the early 2000s can be said to have been won by great defenses.

He also got outcoached twice by the Giants in the Super Bowl and you can even say that he got outcoached against the Seahawks except for the stupid decision of them to throw from inside the five.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 02:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Belicheck is a great coach, but I think he gets way too much credit because Brady's the most clutch QB in NFL history. On top of Brady, the Super Bowls in the early 2000s can be said to have been won by great defenses.

He also got outcoached twice by the Giants in the Super Bowl and you can even say that he got outcoached against the Seahawks except for the stupid decision of them to throw from inside the five.

Great points Brad. Still, hard for me to have any confidence in Marvin Lewis outcoaching any team in the Playoffs after
what we have all seen. But this is the most talented team in all 3 phases of the game he has ever had in my honest
opinion. For all we know they could carry him and beat a great coach like Belicheck.

This Defense looks intense, the ST's might be the fastest in the NFL and the Offense has as many explosive weapons as
any in the NFL with a very solid QB. The O-line could be much better, specifically much more athletic than ever, Ogbuehi
looks great right now from what Lap has said and from what the pics show, same with Fisher.

There are many reasons for optimism, don't get me wrong. Marv and PA are not two of them though IMO.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 02:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Belicheck is a great coach, but I think he gets way too much credit because Brady's the most clutch QB in NFL history. On top of Brady, the Super Bowls in the early 2000s can be said to have been won by great defenses.

"Outcoached":
[Image: David%20Tyree%20helmet%20catch.jpg]

- - - - - - - -

How can you say he got outcoached by the Seahawks and then immediately point at the worst SB coaching decision ever made, that lost the Seahawks the game? That's the opposite of making your point.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Did you just deny a defensive minded hc credit for building a championship level defense for multiple years?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There have had to be some herculean efforts to beat the Pats but if that call worked everyone would of been
praising it. It didn't which is why it was the worst call of all SB time...
Reply/Quote
It's hard to say there are a lot of variables that have to fall in our favor but if the stars align I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
  • The o-line needs to improve and jell. Not just Ogbuehi but also Fischer and Andre Smith playing a new position. We need Boling and Bodine to step up as vets and lead the young guys Smith could help too in leading.
  • We need one or both of our 2 first round picks to step up. I have a lot of faith in Mixon as far as being a productive rookie. As far as the other rookies go if Lawson is as advertised he could add some real explosiveness and athleticism to our defense.
  • Last years new additions need to improve and take the next step. Boyd, LaFell, Vigil and Billings especially. Not just the players though all of the new coaches. We had a new offensive coordinator and new position coaches on every spot of the defense. In my opinion there were growing pains at the beginning of last year and things gradually improved after the bye.
  • And the obvious one is to stay healthy. If we can be healthy at the right time we could make a playoff run. Of course that first game has seemed to be a big obstacle for Marvin. Doesn't matter who the players or coaches are with him we've seen them all change.

I'm cautiously optimistic about us making the playoffs but everything else after that is just an unknown. It's hard to have confidence in Marvin until we see at least a win in the post season. After being 8-8 so many times he did improve to going one and done a bunch of times so maybe now we have reached the point were we can win at least a playoff game for the next half decade or so.
Reply/Quote
If the O-Line pans out, we are Super Bowl contenders

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 02:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did you just deny a defensive minded hc credit for building a championship level defense for multiple years?

Pretty sure that's what just happened.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 03:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure that's what just happened.

Take away his 7 SB rings, his resume as a gm and coach, his building of a championship defense  and his ability to value a 6th round QB over a 1st overall pick that got NE to a SB and what do you have left?  Not much. 

Not much at all. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 05:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Take away his 7 SB rings, his resume as a gm and coach, his building of a championship defense  and his ability to value a 6th round QB over a 1st overall pick that got NE to a SB and what do you have left?  Not much. 

Not much at all. 

As much as i dislike the guy he is probably the greatest coach of all time.
Reply/Quote
No. I have seen no reason to believe that this squad can contend for a title this year. They have enough talent on the roster, but lack anyone who can rally it together when push comes to shove. Until that person arrives, they remain on the wrong side of the hump.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='393897' dateline='1497718735']
No. I have seen no reason to believe that this squad can contend for a title this year. They have enough talent on the roster, but lack anyone who can rally it together when push comes to shove. Until that person arrives, they remain on the wrong side of the hump.
[/quote]

In the end we are going to have to go through the Patriots. I don't think there is one Bengal fan that has confidence in Marvin Lewis
outcoaching Bill Belichick. Our players will have to carry our team, our leaders specifically. Dalton, Green, Burfict and Dunlap will have
to step up big time for this to ever happen.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 02:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "Outcoached":
[Image: David%20Tyree%20helmet%20catch.jpg]

- - - - - - - -

You really think the game should have been able to come down to a play like that when the Pats were supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, teams in NFL history that year?
(06-16-2017, 02:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How can you say he got outcoached by the Seahawks and then immediately point at the worst SB coaching decision ever made, that lost the Seahawks the game? That's the opposite of making your point.
He got out-coached and then the Seahawks beat themselves with one stupid play.  The rest of the game, he was out-coached. 

(06-16-2017, 02:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did you just deny a defensive minded hc credit for building a championship level defense for multiple years?

Just in his 2001 team, most of that defense was there before Belichick, and who's to say that it was his idea to bring in the players that were new to the team and such big parts of that defense?  If that was all Bill, why hasn't the defense been a dominant force to win them a Super Bowl every year?
Reply/Quote
Who Dey
With the teams we've had until last year we should have been to SB more times than not! If somebody could get Marvin to  get us past the playoffs! It seems like the playoffs are a new realm of stupidity for Marvin!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2017, 06:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You really think the game should have been able to come down to a play like that when the Pats were supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, teams in NFL history that year?
He got out-coached and then the Seahawks beat themselves with one stupid play.  The rest of the game, he was out-coached. 

Just in his 2001 team, most of that defense was there before Belichick, and who's to say that it was his idea to bring in the players that were new to the team and such big parts of that defense?  If that was all Bill, why hasn't the defense been a dominant force to win them a Super Bowl every year?

Picky picky!  The guy has 5 rings as a hc and you're looking for ways to be less impressed than most. To each his own. 

Anyways, we need to get through the Steelers before we worry about bearing the team that owns them. 
Reply/Quote
NO! They will shoot themselves in the foot at some point during the season!
Reply/Quote
For those old enough to remember Forrest Gregg... His team that went to the Superbowl weren't the most talented sure he had a few talented players but if I remember correctly members of the defense basically no one stood out. They were no name defense so to speak. But the one thing that Forrest Gregg had that Marvin Lewis does not that is the respect and fear of his players. I have been saying this for a while and those that are my friends probably know I have said it before but this organization front office and coaching staff Foster a supportive environment that is very humanistic but they do not have the fear and respect of the players especially veterans.

This Bengals team is certainly talented and if they don't go to the playoffs and win a playoff game then I postulate it's because of this Factor.

Keep in mind that this "humanistic Factor" is what keeps Mike Nugent around much longer than he should have on this team. It's the factor that keeps players on this team that are in trouble with law on a consistent basis and players who underperform.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 11:13 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Picky picky!  The guy has 5 rings as a hc and you're looking for ways to be less impressed than most. To each his own. 

Anyways, we need to get through the Steelers before we worry about bearing the team that owns them. 

I'm impressed by him, but you're the ones who pointing out specifics like "building a great defense." Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach and GM, but he didn't build most parts of those defenses that won those titles.

Also, if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt and Brady doesn't get forced into the lineup, does he win any of those titles?
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 03:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm impressed by him, but you're the ones who pointing out specifics like "building a great defense."  Don't get me wrong, he's a great coach and GM, but he didn't build most parts of those defenses that won those titles.

Also, if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt and Brady doesn't get forced into the lineup, does he win any of those titles?

If it weren't for Brady and BB the Steelers would have 10 sb wins so those two are gods as far as I'm concerned 

Anyways as fans of a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26 years it's amusing when we try to dismiss multiple sb wins with a wave of our hands. 
Reply/Quote