Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?
I think if the o line gels the on field product could make a super bowl. Marvin will never out coach belichek to get there tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:15 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think if the o line gels the on field product could make a super bowl.  Marvin will never out coach belichek to get there tho

Completely agree, no way Marv out coaches Belicheck.

We would have to hope another team knocks them out of the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 01:23 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: Care to give any explanation as to why?

And 28/1 to win the AFC.  I put $100 on each.  They didn't have odds for the AFC North, so I will have to find that at Betonline or something.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 08:39 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: They are 55/1 to win the super bowl

They aren't contenders

Interestingly, they are just 3.5 to 1 to win the AFC North.  Also somewhat surprising is they give the Browns a better chance to win the AFC North (50-1) than the Jets to win the AFC East (66 to 1).
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, no way Marv out coaches Belicheck.

That's the big pink elephant lingering in the room for the Bengals. In the playoffs, you generally face the best coaches and gameplanners. Certainly as you advance you do.

It's the same reason we don't win Primetime games. The best teams generally have the best coaches.

We get outcoached and outplanned.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 03:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the defense is super bowl caliber.  On offense, at skilled position the team is super bowl caliber.  O-line is a question mark.  If team can stay healthy, the Bengals have as good chance as any to get to super bowl.

Let's see if Zampese can utilize weapons.  Let's see if Marvin Lewis can manage clock well.

People touched on this but I think our season and winning a super bowl depend on Zampese.  We have weapons other teams only dream of and possibly the best collection and most talented group of skill players in 50 years.   But Zampese showed me nothing last year and at this point I have little confidence in him, just hope.
The Defense has been and will be fine, probably top 5.  They will keep us in games but with this offense we should be blowing teams out each week.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:42 AM)yang Wrote: People touched on this but I think our season and winning a super bowl depend on Zampese.  We have weapons other teams only dream of and possibly the best collection and most talented group of skill players in 50 years.   But Zampese showed me nothing last year and at this point I have little confidence in him, just hope.
The Defense has been and will be fine, probably top 5.  They will keep us in games but with this offense we should be blowing teams out each week.

I wasn't to impressed with Z last year and I'm willing to give him a do-over. Not sure if he was trying to keep Jackson's offensive scheme intact or what but that only works for Hue. This year I hope he puts his own stamp on it.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the big pink elephant lingering in the room for the Bengals. In the playoffs, you generally face the best coaches and gameplanners. Certainly as you advance you do.

It's the same reason we don't win Primetime games. The best teams generally have the best coaches.

Sucks but you are dead on Pistons. Sad
Reply/Quote
I have absolutely no reason to believe that the Bengals are going to be the super bowl winners, but that has never stopped me from predicting they're going to win the superbowl anyway..
I predict that the Cincinnati Bengals will celebrate their 50th anniversary with winning the Super bowl for the first time ever. 
I have very little doubt that someone will remember this prediction later in the season and say, "See? You were wrong! I told you so! I told you so!" and I'm fully prepared to respond with, "Yeah? So what. I'm full of manure. Tell me something I didn't already know" lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 02:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have absolutely no reason to believe that the Bengals are going to be the super bowl winners, but that has never stopped me from predicting they're going to win the superbowl anyway..
I predict that the Cincinnati Bengals will celebrate their 50th anniversary with winning the Super bowl for the first time ever. 
I have very little doubt that someone will remember this prediction later in the season and say, "See? You were wrong! I told you so! I told you so!" and I'm fully prepared to respond with, "Yeah? So what. I'm full of manure. Tell me something I didn't already know" lol

I share your enthusiasm.  Pass the chips...
Reply/Quote
Ignoring the OL, which is an awfully important problem to ignore, Marvin Lewis is still the head coach.

Even if they make the playoffs, the guy is 0-7 in them. Literally the worst postseason coach in NFL history.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, no way Marv out coaches Belicheck.

Which seems awfully unlikely considering the last time the Patriots didn't make it to the AFC Championship game was 2010.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can the Bengals win the Super Bowl this year? Sure. Will they? Probably not yet. But, the upside looks good for this team.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the big pink elephant lingering in the room for the Bengals. In the playoffs, you generally face the best coaches and gameplanners. Certainly as you advance you do.

This. Right. Here.  It's why our players have that deer in the headlights look in big games.  After 15 years, no one can convince me that we are continuously drafting/signing/trading for choke artist players.  It absolutely is a coaching problem.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It's up to the defense.

We've got questions at corner (from age and suspensions on our top CB to who-knows-if-the-training-wheels-are-coming-off on the rest); we've got questions at LB; we've got a short list of talent on the line.

We gave up 21 or more points in 8 games. We went 1-6-1 in those games. Of our six wins, five came when we held the other team to 17 or less (we did lose one of those low scoring games, Texans 12-10).

By contrast, using the Pats as a measuring stick (I don't normally like to do that, but they are the most recent SB champs, which is what the reference is), they gave up 21 or more points in five games, but did go 4-1 in those. They held opponents to under 17 points in 11 games, going 10-1.

We had issues in the redzone. Those have to be fixed for us to have any success. But we can't keep waiting to win the game in the fourth quarter.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 05:11 PM)Benton Wrote: It's up to the defense.

We've got questions at corner (from age and suspensions on our top CB to who-knows-if-the-training-wheels-are-coming-off on the rest); we've got questions at LB; we've got a short list of talent on the line.

We gave up 21 or more points in 8 games. We went 1-6-1 in those games. Of our six wins, five came when we held the other team to 17 or less (we did lose one of those low scoring games, Texans 12-10).

By contrast, using the Pats as a measuring stick (I don't normally like to do that, but they are the most recent SB champs, which is what the reference is), they gave up 21 or more points in five games, but did go 4-1 in those. They held opponents to under 17 points in 11 games, going 10-1.

We had issues in the redzone. Those have to be fixed for us to have any success. But we can't keep waiting to win the game in the fourth quarter.

All good points, and part of the red zone problem was Mike Nugent.

That said, the answer to the OPs question is as simple as this:

"Are the Bengals Super Bowl contenders?"   Is Marvin Lewis still the head coach?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:15 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think if the o line gels the on field product could make a super bowl.  Marvin will never out coach belichek to get there tho

Quote:BenZoo2 Wrote: [url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Are-The-Bengals-Super-Bowl-Contenders?pid=393023#pid393023][/url]I think if the o line gels the on field product could make a super bowl.  Marvin will never out coach belichek to get there tho

Completely agree, no way Marv out coaches Belicheck.

Oh horsehockey. I'm no Marvin Lewis fan, but you guys act like the Bengals have never beaten the Patriots......
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh horsehockey. I'm no Marvin Lewis fan, but you guys act like the Bengals have never beaten the Patriots......

The bengals are a stellar 1-6 vs New England under marvins tenure.  And 0 playoff wins.  I stand by my assessment.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 04:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: This. Right. Here.  It's why our players have that deer in the headlights look in big games.  After 15 years, no one can convince me that we are continuously drafting/signing/trading for choke artist players.  It absolutely is a coaching problem.

"But, but, but... In game adjustment are just journalist jargon" 

Whatever Whatever Whatever
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh horsehockey. I'm no Marvin Lewis fan, but you guys act like the Bengals have never beaten the Patriots......

... Y... You're kidding, right? We beat them one time in a monsoon-like downpour a few years ago. That is ONE narrow win against 6 other embarrassing losses where the Patriots absolutely pushed our s*** in. Do you honestly think we'd beat them in the playoffs, where Bill Belichik has won countless times and Marvin Lewis has never won? 

If you were being facetious, then great. That's funny. If not, let me have what you're drinking I want to get loaded too
Reply/Quote