Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are We A Contender Now?!
I know we have a few holes to fill and I know some positions need to be strengthened, but could this team be a contender if things fall right?!

Taylor is going to bring in his own coaching staff, which means that they'll be qualified, especially since he's a young guy and will have more fire than Marvin, as well as more knowledge for the modern, offensive-oriented game. Taylor will also bring a new energy to the team that the players will relate to. He had the Broncos and Cardinals chasing after him this offseason, so I feel pretty good about him being qualified for the job.

As I mentioned, we do have some holes to fill and positions to strengthen. For instance, we definitely need to improve the line, as well as one or two linebackers, but that can be done through the draft and free agency. Maybe bringing in a tight end would help. I like Bates but I think Williams needs some competition.

People bash Dalton, but the guy will have a former quarterback coach (and former college quarterback himself) leading the way and forming game plans to his (and the rest of the team's) strengths.

We have AJ, who's still one of the top receivers in the league and will also greatly benefit from the coaching changes, and we have young guys across from him like Core, Ross, and Boyd, who could also breakout with a change of scenery.

Mixon's an absolute beast and could be in the running for the rushing title, and we also have Bernard to change things up and keep defenses off-balance.

I'm pumped about our defensive line with Atkins and Billings because I think he'll have a better year than anyone that's ever played NT/LDT and I think he can do a lot of damage. With those two in the middle of the line, I'm excited what guys like Dunlap, Hubbard, MJ, Lawson, etc., can do on the outside when they're single blocked.

A pass rush will greatly help our corners and I think we could finally see them play to their potential.

I'm also excited for new coordinators and what they can do with the talent on this team.

I had more but I'm playing poker online and I'm tired, but are we a contender now?!
Reply/Quote
Glad you're pumped. I'm a little cautious about getting too hype right now. We're at least 2 LBs and 2+ Olinemen away from even coming close to being a contender. And those LBs and OLinement will need some development. I think we're still a year or 2 away from being a contender.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No. We’re a last place team that’s had 3 losing seasons in a row. How quickly Taylor can turn that around we shall see. But contender? Don’t think we’re quite ready to hang with the KC, NE, LA caliber teams just yet. The only way I see that happening is if Dalton absolutely flourishes under the new HC, and looks like 15 Dalton again.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:44 AM)Shady Wrote: Glad you're pumped. I'm a little cautious about getting too hype right now. We're at least 2 LBs and 2+ Olinemen away from even coming close to being a contender. And those LBs and OLinement will need some development. I think we're still a year or 2 away from being a contender.

I think the new line coach can really bring out the talent in our guys and we can maybe draft a few solid starters that are ready to play now and maybe sign a FA.

The draft is loaded at offensive tackle and we could even double up in rounds 1 and 2 if one of the top prospects falls, which is likely.

You have to figure that rookies need less time developing now than they did in the past and the draft class of linebackers looks solid.  We could also pick up a FA.

Things need to bounce the right way, but I feel like we could do it.
Reply/Quote
Ask again after the staff fills out and after the draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm with Shady. We need two linebackers, hopefully one star and another who is a solid NFL player. We need two offensive lineman. I would like to get a strong left tackle and move Cordy Glenn to right tackle, and then also get a strong backup, who can fight for a starting position. We could also use a starting quality defensive tackle and a tight end. Uzomah's coming along and I would give Eifert one more try, but we need to spend some draft capital on a new tight end.

It would be extremely hard to get all that in one draft. What the new coach needs to do is talk management into getting into free agency with much more vigor than we have in the past. I would just concentrate on getting one or two impact players at the areas of need, and would be in there for top tier guys.

It will be fun to watch the changes and see what happens, but the team was allowed to slip into some real disarray, especially on the offensive line, and it will be hard to come all the way back in just one year. I'm an optimist, though, and I'm excited about the new coach, and Katie and Troy getting more and more into the driver's seat.
Reply/Quote
Vegas has our over/under win total at 6 1/2.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 07:51 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Vegas has our over/under win total at 6 1/2.

Not good, but tbh wouldn’t say horrible right now with all the changes to be made. I’m sure this number may switch after the coaches are official and player changes have been made.

Reply/Quote
Not a contender right now, but look at the way our season started vs how it finished. We got what it takes to possibly clinch a WC spot, BUT, we really do need to solidify the front 7 and o-line. It's far from bad. It's embarrassing.

This is the AFC North we're talking about here. The Browns aren't just a team to watch out for because they're a division rival, they're something to be worried about for any team facing them next year. Then you have the Ravens and the Steelers... There's not one person on this board that can tell me based off of our finishing record that we have a decent chance of finishing better than 1-5 in our division next year.

We can be competitive in 19-20. It's a matter of how Free Agency and the NFL Draft play out. I'm not one who is necessarily against Dalton being traded because I'm sure there's at least one QB in this class that is a future star, but if Taylor wants to be an immediate winner as HC of the Bengals, he's going to give Andy help, not deal him. Try to get him back to MVP caliber level like he was before his injury in 2015. You do that by giving him an OC with momentum to score every drive, a good o-line and a healthy/consistent TE. We have a decent WR group. Ross is still up in the air for me. I'm giving him one more year under a different system.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
With the right moves they can be, but not as of now. As pyschdoctor stated, ask me after FA and draft. If they're able to fill the holes they have with a good balance of youth and experience, they have a shot. But it all revolves around health. Cannot have a major injury to a major contributor. They have to kick the injury bug or have great depth. Filling holes and having great depth means they absolutely nailed all phases, and that's a really tall task IMO. I'd side with Vegas here and say 7 wins is where I see this team, which really isn't bad for RIGHT NOW.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
The NFL has people go from "worst to first" almost every season. The issue is most people don't see it coming so it's hard to say yes or no, but I'm not sure we have actually done anything quite yet to make that proclamation. Let's check back in May.
Reply/Quote
Far from it, this draft is vital and we have a lot of holes to fill, if we win 9 games next year and are competitive in most that will be a good season.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 09:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: The NFL has people go from "worst to first" almost every season. The issue is most people don't see it coming so it's hard to say yes or no, but I'm not sure we have actually done anything quite yet to make that proclamation. Let's check back in May.

Exactly, nearly every season there's a team that was 4-12 last season and is hovering on the playoffs this season.

It's by no means impossible ! We have a pretty good core still. But we also have a lot of holes and need to improve our depth. After free agency and the draft we'll have a better feel for where we are.

I'll say we'll be more competitive, i'm not sure we can become a true contender in one off season ?
Reply/Quote
Not even close. We are lacking talent in key areas and time will tell if the new leadership will change the losing culture around here. I don’t see a new coach coming in and instantly flipping this dumpster fire of a franchise into a contender with a wave of his magic wand. It will take time to build a new culture and to get all of the right pieces in place. There is some good talent here to start with, but this is very much a work in progress.
Reply/Quote
Fans say ML and the coaching staff were the reason we were not winning. So, yes no excuse since all have been replaced if ML was indeed the issue.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The only chance this team has to be a playoff contender in 2019 is be extremely active in free agency. I don't think they will. It's a 6 win team at best if they don't bring in a few key free agents.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll say we'll be more competitive, i'm not sure we can become a true contender in one off season ?

Exactly my thoughts.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Right now we are a 4th place team in the AFCN...

We are making changes no telling how long they take to bare fruit and if that fruit will be good or rotten
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know we have a few holes to fill and I know some positions need to be strengthened, but could this team be a contender if things fall right?!

Taylor is going to bring in his own coaching staff, which means that they'll be qualified, especially since he's a young guy and will have more fire than Marvin, as well as more knowledge for the modern, offensive-oriented game. Taylor will also bring a new energy to the team that the players will relate to. He had the Broncos and Cardinals chasing after him this offseason, so I feel pretty good about him being qualified for the job.

As I mentioned, we do have some holes to fill and positions to strengthen. For instance, we definitely need to improve the line, as well as one or two linebackers, but that can be done through the draft and free agency. Maybe bringing in a tight end would help. I like Bates but I think Williams needs some competition.

People bash Dalton, but the guy will have a former quarterback coach (and former college quarterback himself) leading the way and forming game plans to his (and the rest of the team's) strengths.

We have AJ, who's still one of the top receivers in the league and will also greatly benefit from the coaching changes, and we have young guys across from him like Core, Ross, and Boyd, who could also breakout with a change of scenery.

Mixon's an absolute beast and could be in the running for the rushing title, and we also have Bernard to change things up and keep defenses off-balance.

I'm pumped about our defensive line with Atkins and Billings because I think he'll have a better year than anyone that's ever played NT/LDT and I think he can do a lot of damage. With those two in the middle of the line, I'm excited what guys like Dunlap, Hubbard, MJ, Lawson, etc., can do on the outside when they're single blocked.

A pass rush will greatly help our corners and I think we could finally see them play to their potential.

I'm also excited for new coordinators and what they can do with the talent on this team.

I had more but I'm playing poker online and I'm tired, but are we a contender now?!

Only time will tell but i do believe coaching was the biggest thing holding this team back from being a Contender...

Plus sure would be nice having a guy at HC that can motivate his players. I think this was one of Marv's biggest weaknesses.

Bottomline we fix the LB core and solidify the O-line and this team is back to being tough. This isn't some crazy thing to accomplish in one Offseason. I am willing to give Taylor some time though, i think we all have to be patient. First year coaches don't always come right out of the bat being great, especially one that was a QB coach. Big jump to HC.
Reply/Quote
Biggest keys to being a contender, IMO, are defense and OL. If we can get a top 15 defense and if our OL can block (or the OC can scheme around it), we will definitely be in the playoffs. As to Super Bowl contender, we'll have to wait and see how good the coaching staff is.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote