Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are there any optimists left?
(11-02-2019, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why?

If someone is suspended they should have every right (free speech) to defend in public their disdain and state their case.

Is this board becoming soviet style rule?

The member served the punishment, no they should be silenced on why they were suspended, unless a moderator has something to hide.

Because when you create an environment like this online, you get to make the rules and if people want to participate, they have to follow the rules. 

This isn't PETAs corporate offices where you're allowed to stand outside and protest their practices, something the government allows under 'free speech' rules. This is an online forum where 'free speech' is already a slippery slope because it can't take into effect the actual emotion or intent of a given reply; was he mad, was he joking, was it tongue-in-cheek? So that leads to the endless and often toxic "discussions" of intent, followed by accusations and name calling. 

It's the type of thing that's easily avoidable by making rules against it, which doesn't infringe on your ability to have a good time here. If you have a problem with an administrators decision, whether it be here or somewhere else, you have the ability to take it up with them, privately. If you don't like their decision, you have the ability visit other, similar sites all over the internet. 

It's SOP on any digital media to have rules against these types of things, and they're put in place for the overall betterment and enjoyment of all members. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This and a few other boards are kind of unique in that our overall enjoyment seems to be premised on a lousy team that very likely will only get lousier. Sure, a few people get all giddy and think there's somehow going to be a genius decision made by the team ownership when they've never shown us any reason to believe they're gonna suddenly start, but overall it's basically a place where misery loves company and we get to wallow in our shared misery together. The only thing I ask is we prohibit visiting each others homes drunk with loaded guns.  That might end poorly for some of us. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why?

If someone is suspended they should have every right (free speech) to defend in public their disdain and state their case.

Is this board becoming soviet style rule?

The member served the punishment, no they should be silenced on why they were suspended, unless a moderator has something to hide.

This is not a government facility.

This is not a public business required to serve everyone.

When I tell someone to leave my house they have to leave my house.  They don't have any right to stand in my house and complain about why they got thrown out.

If they don't like it they can build their own house.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When I tell someone to leave my house they have to leave my house.  They don't have any right to stand in my house and complain about why they got thrown out.

They can't even stand outside your house in a public street or sidewalk and yell at you. That's disturbing the peace.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 03:15 PM)jason Wrote: I agree with you on the hirings. I didn't like that it was being posted over and over that he'd been a failure at every stop. Failure is a great teacher. But he hasn't proven anybody wrong. Then you factor in the nepotistic hires (like there wasn't enough of those at the top)... It's just a train wreck. I get that they aren't very good, but I'd be a lil more ok with 0-8 if I saw some sort of identity. They don't seem to be good at anything.
Your boy Marvin was 2-9 at the end of last year and you still pine for that loser extrordinaire
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After last season everybody was happy to see Marvin Lewis finally go. I was one of those people. Marvin had a good run but it was his time. The trouble is we all thought anybody has to be better than Marvin — and the Bengals hired someone who isn’t even worthy to tie Marvin’s shoelaces.  Marvin might have grown stale but Zac Taylor isn’t even thawed out.

Let’s end this tragedy and try again.

Marvin gets 18 years of failure but Zac only gets 8 games. Aren't you a silly goose.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not a government facility.

This is not a public business required to serve everyone.

When I tell someone to leave my house they have to leave my house.  They don't have any right to stand in my house and complain about why they got thrown out.

Fair enough

Our buddy had the right idea banning himself

So, I will bet anyone who chooses if Bengals lose next game against the Ravens, I will ban myself until September 2020. If they win, you ban yourself until September, 2020.

Come on fellas every member should take the bet unless you are a chicken, this is the worst coached team in the NFL playing a playoff team. Even the pessimists should jump on this sure win bet. This bet fits nicely in this thread.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 01:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see rules violated daily, personal attacks and snarky comments are rampant so spare me the mods are perfect BS. Once suspended and embarrassed why is it fair to silence someone. I would hope we could have an intelligent conversation about rules from time to time, but according to you it is sit down and shut up or leave.
That's not at all what i said and i'm already too tired of other people mistrepresenting what i said...so, bye.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 03:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough

Our buddy had the right idea banning himself

So, I will bet anyone who chooses if Bengals lose next game against the Ravens, I will ban myself until September 2020. If they win, you ban yourself until September, 2020.

Come on fellas every member should take the bet unless you are a chicken, this is the worst coached team in the NFL playing a playoff team. Even the pessimists should jump on this sure win bet. This bet fits nicely in this thread.

Making "you leave or i leave" bets are stupid.

But if that's what you want to do, whatev.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 03:00 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Marvin gets 18 years of failure but Zac only gets 8 games. Aren't you a silly goose.

Marvin won a division title before he had his first losing season as a head coach.

I am not ready to dump Taylor yet, but this argument is a little silly.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 02:52 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Your boy Marvin was 2-9 at the end of last year and you still pine for that loser extrordinaire

First; he ain't my boy. Second; nobody's pining. 3rd 2 is more than 0. Fourth; at this point in 03 Marvin had the team in playoff contention... I don't think anyone sees this team knocking off an undefeated team this season. Fifth; Marvin Lewis has accomplished more than you'll ever dream of in your life. You sound foolish calling him a loser on the internet.

Good day sir...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 01:36 PM)grampahol Wrote: This and a few other boards are kind of unique in that our overall enjoyment seems to be premised on a lousy team that very likely will only get lousier. Sure, a few people get all giddy and think there's somehow going to be a genius decision made by the team ownership when they've never shown us any reason to believe they're gonna suddenly start, but overall it's basically a place where misery loves company and we get to wallow in our shared misery together. The only thing I ask is we prohibit visiting each others homes drunk with loaded guns.  That might end poorly for some of us. 

Yes - We're basically relegated to arguing if Taylor is a terrible HC or Management is terrible...or BOTH? And if a healthy AJ Green and Jonah would make us a playoff team.

Fun times.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:28 PM)jason Wrote: First; he ain't my boy. Second; nobody's pining. 3rd 2 is more than 0. Fourth; at this point in 03 Marvin had the team in playoff contention... I don't think anyone sees this team knocking off an undefeated team this season. Fifth; Marvin Lewis has accomplished more than you'll ever dream of in your life. You sound foolish calling him a loser on the internet.

Good day sir...

Yes...I don't think that Taylor should be fired after 8 games...but the fact that he's 0-8 doesn't bod well for the future. There's atleast some talent on this team, but it's vastly underperforming. It's hard to look at this team and see things that Taylor has improved...but it's easy to see that basically everything will be worse.

Copying the Rams offense just hasn't fixed things. Either the players aren't executing it properly or it's not being taught and schemed correctly.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes...I don't think that Taylor should be fired after 8 games...but the fact that he's 0-8 doesn't bod well for the future. There's atleast some talent on this team, but it's vastly underperforming. It's hard to look at this team and see things that Taylor has improved...but it's easy to see that basically everything will be worse.

Copying the Rams offense just hasn't fixed things. Either the players aren't executing it properly or it's not being taught and schemed correctly.

Copying the Rams offense? For that to happen the line has to run block better that creates opportunities for play action those 2 keys are essential to the Rams WCO. We haven't seen much of either this season.

Because the Bengals are struggling to run block and poor desicions by the starting RB leads to less play action we are seeing a very small part of the playbook.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Copying the Rams offense? For that to happen the line has to run block better that creates opportunities for play action those 2 keys are essential to the Rams WCO. We haven't seen much of either this season.

Because the Bengals are struggling to run block and poor desicions by the starting RB leads to less play action we are seeing a very small part of the playbook.

Indeed. And the reasons for the poor running game could be debated.

We have Hart/Redmond/Hopkins/Price starting now...who were all starters for chunks last year and Mixon led the AFC in rushing. Yes...Glenn is out, but he was a poor run blocker.

Something doesn't add up.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. And the reasons for the poor running game could be debated.

We have Hart/Redmond/Hopkins/Price starting now...who were all starters for chunks last year and Mixon led the AFC in rushing. Yes...Glenn is out, but he was a poor run blocker.

Something doesn't add up.

Not really... you mention Redmond but he has played 2 games (and has run blocked well but still has issue in pass pro) the other 6 it was John Miller who struggled run blocking. You mention Price and Hopkins but they only played a couple games together last season. Clint Boling is a major missing peice along with Andre Smith who struggled to run block opening the year. Michael Jordan and Andre Smith was a huge downgrade from Glenn and Boling.

Honestly from what I've seen it's mostly on the Line/Tight Ends and less scheme there have been ALOT of missed blocks, poor vision, and just straight up beat one on one.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:28 PM)jason Wrote: First; he ain't my boy. Second; nobody's pining. 3rd 2 is more than 0. Fourth; at this point in 03 Marvin had the team in playoff contention... I don't think anyone sees this team knocking off an undefeated team this season. Fifth; Marvin Lewis has accomplished more than you'll ever dream of in your life. You sound foolish calling him a loser on the internet.

Good day sir...

What did he win? He was out coached in prime time nearly every game. He only won a few game s against the Steelers. He is your boy and you do pine for him to return or why else would you put down a coach who has 8 games experience. BTW if he ain't your boy why have his Photo above your name. Marvin and Andy are dead to us. Get over it.  Long live Zac and Ryan.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin won a division title before he had his first losing season as a head coach.

I am not ready to dump Taylor yet, but this argument is a little silly.

First five years : 7-9 one time ,8-8 three times and 11-5 once with Palmer pre injury. Not exactly HOF numbers. Zac may never do anything but to back bite him because of a shit storm of a team he took over this year seems a little unfair. Marvin and Andy are dead to us now. Get over it. Long live Zac and Ryan.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 04:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Making "you leave or i leave" bets are stupid.

But if that's what you want to do, whatev.

Calling someone who just made a bet stupid is a personal attack and against the rules. Be careful rule guy
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 07:58 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: First five years : 7-9 one time ,8-8 three times and 11-5 once with Palmer pre injury. Not exactly HOF numbers. Zac may never do anything but to back bite him because of a shit storm of a team he took over this year seems a little unfair. Marvin and Andy are dead to us now. Get over it. Long live Zac and Ryan.

While no one thinks this is some great roster...it's also not a 0-8 roster. This team has vastly under-achieved.

Dalton needed benched. He actually had a clean pocket a decent bit, but either rushed throws or his mechanics broke down. He was seeing pressure that wasn't there. His pocket presence was bad too.

And Zac...likely needs to hire an OC IF he doesn't improve the rest of the year. He's just not a good playcaller. Hire an OC like Jay Gruden and focus on being a Head Coach.

On defense, it's honestly hard to evaluate what they need there. More speed at LB is the obvious answer. The scheme seems to have issues. The players have no fire. They get no pressure. They blow coverages. The miss tackles. Vigil and Brown both need replaced.

Marvin needed to go after the playoff meltdown against the Steelers so that a new HC would get a pretty good roster. But, the Bengals waited 3 years too long. Which illustrates a major issue...how many owners keep a HC that's 0-7 in the playoffs for 3 more years after that 7th loss?
Reply/Quote