Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are there any optimists left?
(10-31-2019, 12:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People blame the offensive line, but:

Zac Taylor is confident that Bengals have Clint Boling replacement on roster
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/16/20696115/zac-taylor-is-confident-that-bengals-have-clint-boling-replacement

I posted quotes yesterday where Taylor said how he and the staff liked Hart.

Bobby Hart is not big enough or strong enough to play in our division.He is offsides every game and gets the qb sacked every game,He needs to go. My question to you ZT,why can't you see that as all of us fans do.Jonah Williams with one arm will be better than him and is Glenn ever going to play??? why does all this crap happen to our team.What is up with Cordy Glenn??? We deserve to know.I hope you like having an empty stadium every Sunday. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:51 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Bobby Hart is not big enough or strong enough to play in our division.He is offsides every game and gets the qb sacked every game,He needs to go. My question to you ZT,why can't you see that as all of us fans do.Jonah Williams with one arm will be better than him and is Glenn ever going to play??? why does all this crap happen to our team.What is up with Cordy Glenn??? We deserve to know.I hope you like having an empty stadium every Sunday. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Poor management/Poor coaching + lack of Marvin's stabilizing influence.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 08:32 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Or maybe other teams recognize when they need a change sooner than our genius front office.

You missed the point. Bengals got lucky with two QB that both lasted more than 5 years and took the Bengals to the playoffs all under ML. ML didn't rebuild the Bengals team once; he did it twice. 

Given the current situation with the team I starting to think maybe ML is a better coach than many fans are willing to admit. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People blame the offensive line, but:

Zac Taylor is confident that Bengals have Clint Boling replacement on roster
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/16/20696115/zac-taylor-is-confident-that-bengals-have-clint-boling-replacement

I posted quotes yesterday where Taylor said how he and the staff liked Hart.

How should he have publicly answered that question?

"No I think Michael Jordan will be way out of his depth but that's all we've got"?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:34 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: You missed the point. Bengals got lucky with two QB that both lasted more than 5 years and took the Bengals to the playoffs all under ML. ML didn't rebuild the Bengals team once; he did it twice. 

Given the current situation with the team I starting to think maybe ML is a better coach than many fans are willing to admit. 

Ill give you that but there is an adage that people will rise until the reach a level if incompetence. ML was a good coach but he was what he was. He took the team so far but failed to go farther. I give credit where its due but some people can't accept that their idols have shortcomings.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:39 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: How should he have publicly answered that question?

"No I think Michael Jordan will be way out of his depth but that's all we've got"?

Maybe...say what you actually believe.

Those guys actually wanted the Bengals to re-sign Bobby Hart too and presumably Preston Brown.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:47 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Ill give you that but there is an adage that people will rise until the reach a level if incompetence. ML was a good coach but he was what he was. He took the team so far but failed to go farther. I give credit where its due but some people can't accept that their idols have shortcomings.

When Tom Coughlin interviewed here, he questioned to his friends if ANY coach could succeed here the way the Bengals are structured.

It's a big ask to have any staff be:

1) Scouts for college
2) Scouts for free agency
3) Develop playbooks
4) Scout for games
5) Coach
6) Be the Teams PR (note how you don't see Bengals management talking to the Press)
7) Roster development

Maybe a coach could be great in 1 or 2 of those areas and fail in others. You need a Bill Parcells-type to succeed here.

In other cities...coaches focus on Playbooks, Coaching, and Roster Development.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 08:11 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I am a fan of this team.  I have grown tired of all the "labels" that get tossed around on this board; "homer, hater, realist, optimist, pessimist, delusional...and so on."  I had low expectations going into this season, and they got worse as the injuries starting piling up.  Anyone who really thought we were going to be competitive this year were kidding themselves.

But more than anything, I am really tired of coming here and seeing fans of this team constantly relish in the delight that they are "right" and post negative stuff.  I remember an old member from the mothership, Bengals and Bassetts, once told me that if you don't enjoy something, quit doing it.  And she left forever.

So I am asking for someone else to take over doing Birthday Threads in Klotsch, as I am going to be spending much less time around here.    I have some changes in my personal life that will take up more of my time anyway.  But I will still be a FAN of this team, and be around here, just not nearly as much.

Thats it.

You guys ran off my buddy Tiger Teeth.

You're gonna get it sumbitches. Mad
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 02:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Tom Coughlin interviewed here, he questioned to his friends if ANY coach could succeed here the way the Bengals are structured.

It's a big ask to have any staff be:

1) Scouts for college
2) Scouts for free agency
3) Develop playbooks
4) Scout for games
5) Coach
6) Be the Teams PR (note how you don't see Bengals management talking to the Press)
7) Roster development

Maybe a coach could be great in 1 or 2 of those areas and fail in others. You need a Bill Parcells-type to succeed here.

In other cities...coaches focus on Playbooks, Coaching, and Roster Development.

Excuses are like, oh well you know what they are like. Fans want to excuse Marvin after 18 years of futility but want to throw ZT under the bus half way through one season. Somehow it doesn't seem fair to me.
Reply/Quote
Even saw that DennyG dude who was nothing but a homer on the motherboards fighting with some reporter on Twitter so even he’s turned.
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Fans want to excuse Marvin after 18 years of futility but want to throw ZT under the bus half way through one season. 

Making the playoffs is not the ultimate goal, but it is not "futility" either.  Marvin Lewis also has a Super Bowl ring and an "NFL Coach of the Year Award".  You can shit on him all you want, but it is a joke to compare what he accomplished to Zach's current situation.

I don't want to come off like I am hating too hard on Taylor.  He is handicapped by a horrid O-line and a "10th choice" Defensive Coordinator.  He might actually be a decent head coach with a better team, but so far in 30 years of the Mike Brown Era Lewis is the only coach who won much more than one-third of his games.

Shula...…. .268% zero winning seasons
Coslet…… .350% zero winning seasons
LeBeau…. .267% zero winning seasons
Taylor..... .000% zero winning seasons

Lewis...… .518% seven winning seasons
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Excuses are like, oh well you know what they are like. Fans want to excuse Marvin after 18 years of futility but want to throw ZT under the bus half way through one season. Somehow it doesn't seem fair to me.

No doubt Marvin failed as a HC here as the goal is to win a SB...and 0-7 in the playoffs is terrible. But, Marvin atleast showed competence and brought the teams overall record during his tenure to around .500. He was a great DC for the Ravens and has a SB ring. Then went to the Redskins as DC and was competent. And then, he managed to actually win games here.

Taylor has had 0 success as OC. And, the narrative in the offseason was that the new staff would make the players we have better with a modern scheme...and they failed to do that.

Now here we sit at 0-8...with almost every player on the roster regressing. Guys like Geno Atkins even have regressed. The offense is predictable. The defense is horrible. The team can't run the ball or stop the run. (Boy that has to be some battle in practice.)

And people are like 'Give Taylor more time!'

What exactly have you seen from Taylor to think that 'more time' will make the results drastically turn around?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Making the playoffs is not the ultimate goal, but it is not "futility" either.  Marvin Lewis also has a Super Bowl ring and an "NFL Coach of the Year Award".  You can shit on him all you want, but it is a joke to compare what he accomplished to Zach's current situation.

I don't want to come off like I am hating too hard on Taylor.  He is handicapped by a horrid O-line and a "10th choice" Defensive Coordinator.  He might actually be a decent head coach with a better team, but so far in 30 years of the Mike Brown Era Lewis is the only coach who won much more than one-third of his games.

Shula...…. .268% zero winning seasons
Coslet…… .350% zero winning seasons
LeBeau…. .267% zero winning seasons
Taylor..... .000% zero winning seasons

Lewis...… .518% seven winning seasons
Taylor eight games      leBeau 45 games
Coslet71 games         Shula 60 games   Try again troll 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt Marvin failed as a HC here as the goal is to win a SB...and 0-7 in the playoffs is terrible. But, Marvin atleast showed competence and brought the teams overall record during his tenure to around .500. He was a great DC for the Ravens and has a SB ring. Then went to the Redskins as DC and was competent. And then, he managed to actually win games here.

Taylor has had 0 success as OC. And, the narrative in the offseason was that the new staff would make the players we have better with a modern scheme...and they failed to do that.

Now here we sit at 0-8...with almost every player on the roster regressing. Guys like Geno Atkins even have regressed. The offense is predictable. The defense is horrible. The team can't run the ball or stop the run. (Boy that has to be some battle in practice.)

And people are like 'Give Taylor more time!'

What exactly have you seen from Taylor to think that 'more time' will make the results drastically turn around?
I got nothing but he is young and learning on the fly. This is not his team yet. After two more drafts we will know more but just how much input he has is going to decide if this is ever going to be his team. Even Cleveland gave hue a 0-16 and 1-15 seasons before canning him. Be patient. better days are coming.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:22 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I got nothing but he is young and learning on the fly. This is not his team yet. After two more drafts we will know more but just how much input he has is going to decide if this is ever going to be his team. Even Cleveland gave hue a 0-16 and 1-15 seasons before canning him. Be patient. better days are coming.

I'm not saying he needs fired right away...but I think they need to bring in a Jay Gruden as the OC. Taylor just isn't a good playcaller. We need someone who is.

Then on defense, fire Lou and bring in a veteran.

Evaluate the position coaches too.

Honestly, IF he wasn't the OC...his failings wouldn't be as egregious to spot.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:22 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Even Cleveland gave hue a 0-16 and 1-15 seasons before canning him. Be patient. better days are coming.

Yeah, just look at Cleveland.  Hugh Jackson is proof of what might happen if you are just patient with a winless coach.

Smirk
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:10 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Taylor eight games      leBeau 45 games
Coslet71 games         Shula 60 games   Try again troll 

What is your point?

Shula, Coslet, LeBeau, Taylor...……..12 seasons... .299%...  zero winning seasons
Lewis...………………………………………..16 seasons... .518%...  seven winning seasons
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point?

Shula, Coslet, LeBeau, Taylor...……..12 seasons... .299%...  zero winning seasons
Lewis...………………………………………..16 seasons... .518%...  seven winning seasons

My point Is your boys Andy and Marv are gone. Quit living in the past and dogging our coach and players  . Aren't those your words? I guess our roles will be reversed.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not saying he needs fired right away...but I think they need to bring in a Jay Gruden as the OC. Taylor just isn't a good playcaller. We need someone who is.

Then on defense, fire Lou and bring in a veteran.

Evaluate the position coaches too.

Honestly, IF he wasn't the OC...his failings wouldn't be as egregious to spot.
You mean if he hadn't lost his starting LT. LG. center,#1 and 2 Wr, top draft pick? yeah I think he would be a lot better OC
Reply/Quote
At this point I don't see anything to be optimistic about. It's been an epic failure at every turn. They held onto Marvin for far too long, they don't draft well and they refuse to seriously upgrade in free agency/trades (And when they do try they fail). What exactly are we supposed to be optimistic about?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote