Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
As figured, no changes coming
(01-02-2020, 03:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Signing Hunt didn't look smart to me. OBJ is a head case and that was questionable as well. Bad coaching choice was a bad coaching choice by the owner/GM. At least, they recognized their error and are looking to correct it. Still, they had a much better year than the Bengals.

Bengals also had a lot of coaching problems as evidenced by the worst start for a new coach in team history and tying the team's all time worst season record. Bengals don't seem to recognize it at all, or maybe they do and don't want to pay out on coaching contracts for the next two years to pay guys to sit at home and watch games. Who really knows what these people are thinking.

I'm not in favor of a merry-go-round of coaches, but when you lay an egg this bad something is wrong.

Arizona fired a one year coach after last season and improved this season and they're on the rise as they add better players.

If OBJ landed with the Bengals and not the Browns many here would probably be fine with AJ leaving. Instead, negative comments about a player who has and will more than likely play again at an elite level are used because the team failed this past year. 

The Brown owner wants to hire a head coach first and than hire a GM that the head coach wants based on an understanding of the coach scheme. 

I keep stating over and over and over, just because a player is skilled/elite does not mean that player will work in all schemes. This means that some players simply won't live up to potential. Having a GM/scouting department that is able to identify players that best fit the offensive/defensive scheme the better the team will end up being in the long run as those players are more than likely going to help the Bengals win. 

The reason the Bengals ST unit has been so good for so long is that Simmons is excellent at finding talent that fits his scheme and he has had input in helping selecting players that maybe play a few defensive/offensive plays but also contribute regularly to special teams. 

Most important thing for a team to turn it around getting FO and coaches on the same page and using that to help build the team to ensure players brought in FA, draft or already on the team fits what the coaches plan to implement. 

Hopefully Tobin and ZT are on the same page or 2020 will be another 2019. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 03:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Freddie Kitchens was a suspect hire, but he's gone now.  If they put a real HC in there and the team still lays an egg then they can declare Mayfield a bust and OBJ a garbage pickup and then just clean house and go back to being the talentless and awful Browns rather than the talented and awful Browns once again.

I honestly hope the Browns hire McCarthy and he bring along a GM that knows how he operates to turn that team around. Brown fans need to see some wins considering how bad they have been. 

Browns are bad, just the FO and coaches were not on the same page. It is why the owner is now trying to correct this mistake. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 03:43 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I honestly hope the Browns hire McCarthy and he bring along a GM that knows how he operates to turn that team around. Brown fans need to see some wins considering how bad they have been. 

Browns are bad, just the FO and coaches were not on the same page. It is why the owner is now trying to correct this mistake. 

I think the whole "EVERYONE LOVED THE BROWNS!" reason to hate them is a little overdone since it really seems to me like a lot of people were more than happy to point out that the Browns going into 2019 were full of cancerous egos and a moron HC and were going to fail.  This notion that everyone who is down on the Browns acts like the only person who was smart enough to see they were going to disappoint is almost as annoying as the hype.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 11:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We could definitely use his experience, but in what role? Turner isn’t going anywhere.

I'd be ok with him coming in as a special assistant to the OC who primary role is scouting. Cant actually hire him as a scout cause Mike Brown doesnt believe scouts are necessary. 
Reply/Quote