Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
As figured, no changes coming
“...get ready for free agency...”

Say what?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
id be satisfied with some OC and DC improvements. Maybe call up Jay Gruden, offense was pretty good under him. Definitely a new DC is needed.
Reply/Quote
The changes I want to see is the Front Office's approach to the Free Agency and for them to get two blue chip players, one at backer, the other on the OL.

I also fully expect the Bengals to trade Dalton, Glenn (even for a 6th or 7th rounder), and cut Kirkpatrick before TC.

Since the QB of the future may be in the draft, I hope they sign Green to a 3 year deal. I would not be upset if the moved on from Green but I think with the limited draft picks, they have to risk and sign Green to a 3 year deal. I am still on the fence though.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 10:04 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Not all of those were on the D though. There's at least a couple of pick 6s in there, a muffed catch on special teams gifting points just before the interval etc. Anyone got the figures for just the D points conceded?

If you want to criticize them for only playing two teams with a winning record in the second half you also need to cut them some slack for playing such a tough first half schedule - overall they still had the toughest schedule in the NFL.

LOL @ at seguing from "people act like being on the job longer makes a coach better" to "this staff needs experience".

They won 2 games. How much stack should they get?

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What?
I bet Katie knows more about all the ins and outs of Football than you do.
She grew up knowing nothing but Football. Being a lawyer was the only way she could at that time be a significant member of the team.

In fact, most in the Brown family probably know a great deal about football. The problem is, are they in it to make money or win championships. It's 2 different methods of operation.

My guess is they are in it to make money first and therefore don't always make good football decisions because they are super cautious and conscience about the money side.

I couldn't disagree more.

You make money at football by winning. Winning gives you fans. Fans buy things. Teams can grow their fan base outside their area by winning. Many teams have done this.

Winning and making money are not mutually exclusively if the team is run correctly.

Mike Brown does not understand this, so how could anyone he has taught understand it?

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 10:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Totally incorrect.  They are going to evaluate and discuss everything, then no changes.

No changes in the draft process sounds like. More ho-hum, business as usual after a 2 win season. These are the same personnel people that have been running the draft lately.

The team went from 6 wins to 2 and someone sees improvement. Yikes!

Marvin has to be laughing.

Reply/Quote
Stop filling needs with the draft. Fill needs with free agency and draft the BPA. That is how you build depth

30 years they still can't figure this shit out
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What?
She grew up knowing nothing but Football. Being a lawyer was the only way she could at that time be a significant member of the team.

In fact, most in the Brown family probably know a great deal about football. The problem is, are they in it to make money or win championships. It's 2 different methods of operation.

My guess is they are in it to make money first and therefore don't always make good football decisions because they are super cautious and conscience about the money side.

I think Mike Brown runs the team exactly how he thinks his father ran it. He wants to run the team like it is the 60s or 70s. Look at his votes at the league level. How many times has he been the lone dissenter. Of course sometimes he has been right ie PI video review.
The problem isn’t that he doesn’t want to win or make money. The problem is that he is an inside of the box thinker and his box was sealed shut 40 years ago. He has no imagination, no creativity, no vision. He doesn’t understand he is in an entertainment business not just sports. Maybe it all comes down to having Daddy issues. No one has been able to break open that box of his. I’d like to think that Katie and Troy are hamstrung by Mike but we won’t likely know that until he has died

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 08:12 AM)pally Wrote: I think Mike Brown runs the team exactly how he thinks his father ran it.  He wants to run the team like it is the 60s or 70s.  Look at his votes at the league level. How many times has he been the lone dissenter.  Of course sometimes he has been right ie PI video review.  
The problem isn’t that he doesn’t want to win or make money.  The problem is that he is an inside of the box thinker and his box was sealed shut 40 years ago. He has no imagination, no creativity, no vision.  He doesn’t understand he is in an entertainment business not just sports.  Maybe it all comes down to having Daddy issues.  No one has been able to break open that box of his.  I’d like to think that Katie and Troy are hamstrung by Mike but we won’t likely know that until he has died

I don't buy for a minute the argument that Mike Brown does not want to win. I think he wants nothing more than to hoist the Lombardi before he dies. His problem is he doesn't know how to do it and won't let anyone else run the show.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 12:51 PM)TheBengals Wrote: For those of you who wanted JDR.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wait! What about Marvin?!? He was rumored to be heading there. Sad
Reply/Quote
RELAX!!!

Joe Burrow will fix ALL of this .. single-handidly!

He doesn't need a line or a top 10 defense!
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a new DC
Reply/Quote
Looks like Bill Callahan is out in DC, so I could see him being added to our staff.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 04:45 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Looks like Bill Callahan is out in DC, so I could see him being added to our staff.

We could definitely use his experience, but in what role? Turner isn’t going anywhere.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 07:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Another year of just horrible decision making by this front office. They dealt themselves a bad hand and they're now deciding to stand pat with all the marbles on the table. Wow!

There's no desire to win a championship with this front office. There just cannot be.

What's the most remarkable thing about all of this is that Mike Brown and family did it to themselves. It's actually laughable.

Look at other teams and how smart those front offices looked last  year. BROWNS front office looked like they figured it all out and was putting a winning team together that was going to take it all this season. What happened? Coaching failures resulted in a sub performance by a very talented team. You need both not just a good coaching but a FO that is able to work with the coaches to bring in the right players to help the team win. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:07 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Look at other teams and how smart those front offices looked last  year. BROWNS front office looked like they figured it all out and was putting a winning team together that was going to take it all this season. What happened? Coaching failures resulted in a sub performance by a very talented team. You need both not just a good coaching but a FO that is able to work with the coaches to bring in the right players to help the team win. 

Signing Hunt didn't look smart to me. OBJ is a head case and that was questionable as well. Bad coaching choice was a bad coaching choice by the owner/GM. At least, they recognized their error and are looking to correct it. Still, they had a much better year than the Bengals.

Bengals also had a lot of coaching problems as evidenced by the worst start for a new coach in team history and tying the team's all time worst season record. Bengals don't seem to recognize it at all, or maybe they do and don't want to pay out on coaching contracts for the next two years to pay guys to sit at home and watch games. Who really knows what these people are thinking.

I'm not in favor of a merry-go-round of coaches, but when you lay an egg this bad something is wrong.

Arizona fired a one year coach after last season and improved this season and they're on the rise as they add better players.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:07 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Look at other teams and how smart those front offices looked last  year. BROWNS front office looked like they figured it all out and was putting a winning team together that was going to take it all this season. What happened? Coaching failures resulted in a sub performance by a very talented team. You need both not just a good coaching but a FO that is able to work with the coaches to bring in the right players to help the team win. 

Freddie Kitchens was a suspect hire, but he's gone now.  If they put a real HC in there and the team still lays an egg then they can declare Mayfield a bust and OBJ a garbage pickup and then just clean house and go back to being the talentless and awful Browns rather than the talented and awful Browns once again.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What?

Mike Brown definitely wants to win but just doesn't know how. He often doesn't make moves out of fear of making the wrong move and setting back the franchise further, but such conservatism can be counterproductive. He's scarred by the 90s and that experience makes him less likely to roll the dice for fear of ending up back there.
Reply/Quote
I don't buy into The Family wants to win but doesn't know how. The main reason being they still haven't evolved and tried a real different approach. Yes, we sign some outside people in free agency, but the bulk are the leftovers that we hope we can squeeze another year or two out of or a bust that we hope might figure it out and contribute for us. Of course, there are the re-treads that we just use to fill the roster as well.

To reach salary cap standards, we give ridiculous extensions to undeserving players or just simply overpay our own. Yes, we've spent over the cap but that is because rolled over money increases the next years cap which makes it higher. So when we frontload a contract, we can take a chunk out of the new cap. That's not saying frontloading is a bad practice or should never be done, but we tend to always do it. It eats up the available cap quickly. The faster the cap disappears, the faster The Family can say they're done.

The Family's record also kind of shows winning can't be the most important thing. When Mike Brown first took over, the Bengals rattled off 14 consecutive non-winning seasons. Somewhere along the line it never occurred to him that being Owner/President/GM may not have been his strong suit? That maybe some outside help, a different approach, or new philosophy may be the way to go?

Since Mike Brown became the Don of Cincinnati football, we know we haven't won a playoff game. We've also had 18 losing seasons, 4 five hundred seasons, and 7 winning seasons. We've racked up 4 Division Titles, no Conference Titles, and have not made it out of the first round of the playoffs.

So in 29 years, The Family has 22 non-winning seasons under their belt and 7 winning seasons. So history says that have roughly a 1 in 3 chance of putting a winner on the field. If The Family wants to win so bad and it's so important, they have to realize they're not doing things right. There needs to be change. But no. Not Mike Brown. It's his way or no way. If he truly put winning first, they would've done and tried so much more to try and make themselves winners.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 01:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All 3 of them really.

In his last 5 games played Lawson had 3 sacks, 9 solo tackles, 4 TFL, and 15 QB hits.

Hubbard’s last 5 games he had 5.5 sacks, 16 solo tackles, 5 TFL, and 5 QB hits.

The DL was feasting the last month or so.

They were, and a lot of that had to do with more players being available for rotation coming back from injuries. Plus, Big Los played hurt most of the first half of the year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote